What can I say, I'm a dork.

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Today I got really bored, and decided to start the Ultimate Cross Country in Flight Simulator. Yes, I'm that dorky and bored.

So - here's leg one (there's no place I could find that would work better than Hangar Talk. If the mods want to move this, go for it)

Leg1: KHAF (Half Moon Bay, CA) - KBIH (Eastern Sierra Regional, CA)
Planned Route: Golden Gate Bridge to OAK-ECA-NIKOL
Time enroute: 2:10
NM Flown: 197nm.

The first leg brought me over the Left Coast and the San Francisco area to the edge of the State by Nevada. Encountered some IMC, but luckily, I don't need an IR to fly in the clouds in Flight Simulator :D

My video card sucks, but its a recent upgrade for me, so please excuse the screenshots not being perfect :D

1) Tied down in front of my imaginary hangar at Half Moon Bay
2) Over the beach, the ultimate cross country begins
3) Looking out the left window at the Golden Gate Bridge
4) Closer to the Golden Gate Bridge, flying toward it
5) Why not - no laws prohibiting it, right?
6) Tied down at Eastern Sierra.

Attachments

• Over the Beach.JPG
    Over the Beach.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Golden Gate Bridge.JPG
    Golden Gate Bridge.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Golden Gate Bridge Up Close.JPG
    Golden Gate Bridge Up Close.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Tied down, KHAF.JPG
    Tied down, KHAF.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Under the Golden Gate Bridge.JPG
    Under the Golden Gate Bridge.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Tied down, KBIH.JPG
    Tied down, KBIH.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Nick,

You should sign on with a "virtual airline" and fly for them.

http://www.flywestwind.com/

You fly airline trips in real time...just think, you can wear the hat, the epaulets, the flight bag...the whole works..!:D

Greg
182RG

DC-3 Airways is another good one, with the old classic propliners!

From one dork to another.

... Hey I learned a lot with FS2004...

SkyHog said:
I didn't see you! Coincidentally I drove by KHAF yesterday afternoon. Thought about the time I landed there with a friend shortly after I learned how to fly. We hiked down to the tidepools as I recall. Then you flew over where I am sitting now as I type.

And you're right. There's nothing that says you can't fly over the Golden Gate Bridge. If you stay low you're outside the class B. People do it all the time. :yes:

Nick,

That's great! It is probably good that I don't have FS. Now, take it one step further--can you put in a little pic of you standing next to the plane in front of the imaginary hangar? And you could put a picture of your hand on the yoke in the bottom corner of one of the flying shots.

Petra :)

SkyHog said:
5) Why not - no laws prohibiting it, right?

No penalty for having fun under bridges, heck that's one of the things to keep you from getting bored on home simulators, but if you don't start watching your airspeed the wings might blow off. :eek:

Where did you get the airplane? Canned airplanes are getting boring and the free ones I've seen are often shoddily built or horrific download times.

Prop tip paint stripes on the back side of the prop. Weird.

fgcason said:
No penalty for having fun under bridges, heck that's one of the things to keep you from getting bored on home simulators, but if you don't start watching your airspeed the wings might blow off. :eek:

Where did you get the airplane? Canned airplanes are getting boring and the free ones I've seen are often shoddily built or horrific download times.

Prop tip paint stripes on the back side of the prop. Weird.

Frank Try Avsim, or you can view the thread I created with some of my favorite Freeware aircraft for FS9. 11229+ views, which may be one of the largest read threads over there. :D

My Freeware Thread at Avsim

You do have to sign up as a member (free)
And then for the library, also FREE, unlike other si8tes that charge for downloads or charge a membership fee for speedier downloads. Avsim is 100% FREE.

Or let me know what you are looking for, and I'll help you find a good version for it.

The sims have come a long way since the early days, and they really help with training and procedures practice, IMHO.

Regards,
Joe

Other simulators I'd like to see:

*CIA Agent Simulator
*Biker Simulator
*Salsa Dancer Simulator
*Person With a Life Simulator
*Talented Rock Star Simulator
*CEO of Company Selling Simulators Simulator

(Nick, EUL would be a good second leg. That's my territory.)

p8cleared2land said:
Nick,

That's great! It is probably good that I don't have FS. Now, take it one step further--can you put in a little pic of you standing next to the plane in front of the imaginary hangar? And you could put a picture of your hand on the yoke in the bottom corner of one of the flying shots.

Petra
So do you feel sims can help a Pilot stay up on procedures, planning, scanning, etc?

Or what exactly is your position since you stated you don't own FS9?

I use it for fun and as a Tool as do thousands of other pilots.

Last edited:
Nick, will the sim let you land on the GGB?

I remember attempting over and over to land on the bridge in MSFS when I was about age 10. I never could do it. It was a landable surface, though.

I tried recently, and the bridge didn't seem to be a landable surface like it used to.

--Kath

Sonar5 said:
So do you feel sims can help a Pilot stay up on procedures, planning, scanning, etc?

Yep, I use it for fun and as a training tool, also. If it's been a while between flights, I will use it to sort of brush up. At least the instrumentation is pretty accurate. ... And it's a heck of a lot cheaper! The Rod Machado lessons are pretty well done, too.

The virtual airlines are fun because it gives more of a purpose in your simulated flying, and an opportunity to "fly" aircraft that you probably will never get to in real life: DC-3, DC-4, etc.

p8cleared2land said:
Other simulators I'd like to see:

*CIA Agent Simulator
*Biker Simulator
*Salsa Dancer Simulator
*Person With a Life Simulator
*Talented Rock Star Simulator
*CEO of Company Selling Simulators Simulator

(Nick, EUL would be a good second leg. That's my territory.)

Havent you heard? All of those are available through Sims 2 expansion packs! :D http://thesims2.ea.com/

kath said:
Nick, will the sim let you land on the GGB?

I tried recently, and the bridge didn't seem to be a landable surface like it used to.

I just tried it. It doesn't work. Reality collision settings to crash mode on and bridges are considered buildings so instant crash. Collision off and you just fly right through the surface with no impact or touchdown. You can however land on the carrier (and the hangar deck) that's offshore as well as flat roof tops on buildings (just don't taxi too close to the edge).

Sonar5 said:
Frank Try Avsim, or you can view the thread I created with some of my favorite Freeware aircraft for FS9. 11229+ views, which may be one of the largest read threads over there. :D

I'll try that tonight and see what's there. Thanks.

Sonar5 said:
The sims have come a long way since the early days

Do you know the truth you speak in that?
A few weeks ago after playing with FS2004 for the last year or so I tried FS4 on my 80286. OMG! :eek: I use to think that was nice. (I still doubt anyone has ever beat my record for fastest plane ever designed in FS4)
Then just for fun since it's been a long while, I cranked up FS1 on my Apple IIe. :eek: :eek: GLACK! :hairraise: :eek: It's a stick frame world and keyboard flight controls. I remember seeing people drool over that.

Sonar5 said:
and they really help with training and procedures practice, IMHO.

Within their limits they can be very useful tools. IFR procedures is a reasonably good tool to a limit. Takeoff and landing and slow flight is an extremely bad junk. Nothing beats reality though.

Sonar5 said:

Meaning, that I would have way too much fun playing with it (as a toy and a tool) and would spend an inordinate amount of time planning and posting my "trips."

wbarnhill said:
Havent you heard? All of those are available through Sims 2 expansion packs! :D http://thesims2.ea.com/

(Was I really the one who questioned whether your gf was ambitious and/or delusional? It was only because I can relate!)

Last edited:
2nd Leg: KBIH (Eastern Sierra Regional) - KHND (Henderson Executive Airport)

Planned Route: Follow the edges of restricted airspace, Direct Henderson
Time enroute: 2:06
NM Flown: 176nm this leg, 373 Total

Figured I'd try out some scenery meshes for Yosemite and some add-on scenery for Las Vegas. Good stuff, IMHO. This is gonna take a while - 2 legs in and I'm only in Las Vegas. Maybe some longer legs coming.

Pics:

1) Over the Yosemite Mountains, heading east
2) Approaching Las Vegas, near dusk
3-6) The Las Vegas Strip
7) Parked at Henderson, time to go to sleep and start again tomorrow

Attachments

• Over Yosemite.JPG
    Over Yosemite.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Mountaints West of Las Vegas.JPG
    Mountaints West of Las Vegas.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Approaching the Strip.JPG
    Approaching the Strip.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 19
  • The Strip.JPG
    The Strip.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Over the Strip.JPG
    Over the Strip.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 22
  • More Strip.JPG
    More Strip.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Parked at KHND.JPG
    Parked at KHND.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 16
One of my Little Eagle flyers was going from SEA to Antarctica & back in a 747 the last I knew. I told him to watch his fuel...

I fly on vatsim and the ATC and FF work helps when your out in the real world....at least for me, the student pilot.

I fly the real air 172, the only one I found that you can slip. I don't think it's dorky at all, the navigation work helps and working through my checklists. I also fly my XC trips with the outlook wx brief winds aloft to check my time on each leg and route. This and the google earth helps pick out landmarks a give a better picture as to whats on the sectional.

The Real Air 172 is one fine aircraft.

I had one maroon try to tell me it couldn't do slowflight as well as a payware version. I ended up making a Video showing how well it did exactly that and by the numbers too.

The Real Air 172, for those wondering is a freeware version with a modified air file more representattive of the real deal as far as performance.

Before you go out and waste money on a payware 172, try this one out.

It is also over at Avsim, but some details on it are here.
http://realairsimulations.com/products/index.php

Regards,
Joe

Now "Salsa Dancer Simulator:happydance: " Hmmmmm.. I could go for something like that. (Psssstttttt. Don't tell my wife though.;) )

Dakota Duce

"May All Your Flights Be Of Good Weather!"

I totally forgot I had started this little project, over a year ago. I continued where I left off, leaving Henderson, NV (KHND) for Bryce Canyon, UT (KBCE). I decided to try out the Carenado Cherokee 180, and I tell you what, it is amazing for long trips like this, it actually felt like I was flying Juliet again (sigh...I miss that plane sometimes). A while back, Troy made a repaint of it for me, but I've since lost it, but I'd love to get that model back. Anywho, here's the screen shots of the next leg. Lets hope its not another year before the next leg:

3rd Leg: KHND (Henderson Executive Airport) - KBCE (Bryce Canyon Airport)

Planned Route: A stopover at St George, UT
Time enroute: 2:20
NM Flown: 177.3nm this leg, 550.3 Total

fsxmap.jpg

1) Enroute, between Henderson and St George, Utah.
2) Enroute, between St George, Utah and Bryce Canyon, Utah
3) The panel (near perfect to my old panel)
4) Short final at Bryce Canyon
5) Parked at KBCE

Attachments

• enroute-KBCE.jpg
    enroute-KBCE.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 12
  • short final.jpg
    short final.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 10
  • panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 7
  • enroute-KBCE1.jpg
    enroute-KBCE1.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 10
  • parkedKBCE.jpg
    parkedKBCE.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I'm waiting for the part that is showing you up as a dork. Obviously, you would have to be an uberdork to stand out in this crowd! LOL!

Judy

FS2004 is my main PC entertainment. It let's me "do" aviation stuff sitting in my chair.

It let's me "fly" around my home country (Venezuela) which I probably won't get to do in real life...

That Russian (virtual) Air Force thing is remarkable. I have a couple of questions for anyone here who might know:

1. Do those flight dynamics represent the real deal? That knife-edge formation is positively stunning.

2. In the routine we saw in that YouTube video, was each of the sim-planes being flown by a different pilot? That would take amazing coordination, I'd think.

Last edited:
I double what spike asked (aside from #2, I assume it has to be 4 pilots flying the planes, which is amazing).

Added another leg today. A really short one, just to get things going before I get out of the house and do something productive.

Leg4: KBCE (Bryce Canyon Airport, UT) - KPGA (Page Municipal Airport, AZ)
Planned Route: Direct
Time enroute: 1:00
NM Flown: 57.4 nm.

1) Over the lake, nearing Page
2) Tied down, getting fuel at Page

Attachments

• overlake.jpg
    overlake.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 18
  • parkedKPGA.jpg
    parkedKPGA.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 22
Heh... the quality of the images is astounding.

Can you fly it with the oil door open?

Added another leg today. A really short one, just to get things going before I get out of the house and do something productive.

Leg4: KBCE (Bryce Canyon Airport, UT) - KPGA (Page Municipal Airport, AZ)
Planned Route: Direct
Time enroute: 1:00
NM Flown: 57.4 nm.

1) Over the lake, nearing Page
2) Tied down, getting fuel at Page

I like the attention to detail - the gas pump in that screenshot has a stepladder for Cessnas!

This will likely be the last one of the day, as thunderstorms have moved into the area and I'm stuck in Aztec for a while. I flew from Page Airport in AZ to Aztec Municipal in New Mexico. Good sights, and had to dodge some nasty thunderstorms enroute until finally realizing that I'd be stuck in Aztec overnight.

5th Leg: KPGA (Page Municipal Airport) - N19 (Aztec Municipal Airport)

Planned Route: -> RSK VOR, then direct.
Time enroute: 2:15
NM Flown: 164.2 nm this leg, 771.9nm Total

fsxmap.jpg

1) A river of sorts, between Page and Farmington. Dunno which one
2) Time to start dodging thunderstorms. Turbulence is kicking up
3) The city of Aztec, on approach
4) Parked at N19

Attachments

• enrouteN19.jpg
    enrouteN19.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 14
  • thunderstorms.jpg
    thunderstorms.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 14
  • cityofAztec.jpg
    cityofAztec.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 13
  • onrampN19.jpg
    onrampN19.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 12
Woohoo, got an extra one in for the night. I was gonna steer clear of Albuquerque completely as a virtual finger to the city, but I forgot that Cherokees don't climb above 15,000 ft in the dead of the summer very easily, so alas, Albuquerque was next.

6th Leg: N19 (Aztec Municipal Airport) - KAEG (Double Eagle II Albuquerque)
Planned Route: -> Over 1V0 then direct
Time enroute: 1:36
NM Flown: 117.7 nm this leg, 889.6nm Total

Pictures:
1) Over Navajo Lake. Very Pretty lake
2) ATC Freaked out and issued about 12 Traffic Alerts back to back, I wanted to see what was up. Looks like a Mooney formation flight of sorts??
3) Looks like someone tore down my old hangar at Double Eagle. Shame. :)

Attachments

• navajolake.jpg
    navajolake.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 16
  • mooneyflyin.jpg
    mooneyflyin.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 23
  • oldhangarkaeg.jpg
    oldhangarkaeg.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Today I got really bored, and decided to start the Ultimate Cross Country in Flight Simulator. Yes, I'm that dorky and bored.

So - here's leg one (there's no place I could find that would work better than Hangar Talk. If the mods want to move this, go for it)

Time enroute: 2:10
NM Flown: 197nm.

If I was going to sim a cross country, I'd have to turn the thing up to Mach 7 and get ready for when I get an Aurora.

Back