what are your top 5 favorite songs?

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
I got an iTunes gift cert to use, so I'm trying to think of new (or old, even) music to get that I don't already have. I hardly ever listen to the radio anymore so I don't even know what's out there anymore. I do listen to Sirius once in a while though which has given me some ideas...

and Merry Xmas to everyone, hope it was a nice wkd with your family...

Dreams - Van Halen
Eagles Fly - Sammy Hagar
How Do You Like Me Now? - Toby Keith
Angel Eyes - Jeff Healey Band
Gimme Some Lovin' - Spencer Davis Group

Wow! I could never sort five out of all the wonderful stuff I like; diversity in itself is what makes music so great. The five I would name on any given day might complely change:

I love some current stuff my nieces listen to like "Behind Blue Eyes". Love some Moody Blues stuff like "Knights in White Satin" "Hotel California" still gets me. "Stairway to Heaven" when I'm in certain moods. And today, I'm really liking "White Christmas" by old blue eyes!!

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Wow! I could never sort five out of all the wonderful stuff I like; diversity in itself is what makes music so great. The five I would name on any given day might complely change:

I love some current stuff my nieces listen to like "Behind Blue Eyes". Love some Moody Blues stuff like "Knights in White Satin" "Hotel California" still gets me. "Stairway to Heaven" when I'm in certain moods. And today, I'm really liking "White Christmas" by old blue eyes!!

Dave, you hit it on the head. Some days, I might say "Uncertain Smile" by TheThe would be my favorite, but other days, it might be "School" by Supertramp. Or, it could be some Beethoven, Shostikovich, or Prokofiev. (I like heavy/minor key classical).

It could be Grover Washington Jr groovin' out Winelight. Old pre-Abascab Genesis has some fabulously lush stuff, like from "A Trick of the Tail". It could be "Just like Heaven" by the Cure, or "Atmosphere" by Joy Division. Maybe even some Sex Pistols.

Lots of obscure stuff, too "Tones on Tail", some Love and Rockets. I love Bella Fleck and his bluegrass based jazz stuff, early Flecktones stuff is really refreshing look on jazz.

Then there are the jam bands, Phish, Widespread Panic, etc. Great stuff.

Music...so much of it out there, so little money and time to listen to even a smidgen of it...

I'm kinda eclectic.

I like a lot of the U2 stuff: "Still haven't found...", etc, etc.
Much of the Moody Blues stuff, especially the ones with the London Philharmonic
Almost anything "jazz"... more of the traditional jazz than some of the modern stuff.
And an alltime favorite: Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" (despite the fact that United Airlines copped it for their theme song).

THat stuff probably tops the list...

Dave Siciliano said:
"Stairway to Heaven" when I'm in certain moods.

Foof, not that.

Last edited:
thanks everyone - I know, so many things to choose. I thought narrowing it to 5 would be easier! maybe not.

if anyone likes samba music, Bebel Gilberto is fabulous. (her Mom sang the Girl from Ipanema). I heard her on Sirius and ran to Amazon to get the CD. really good music.

Too restrictive to pick just 5... I didn't see your picks...

For flying videos, The Who's "I Can See For Miles" is one classic that's very good.
"Sweet City Woman" is great Blue Grass banjo.
Kathleen Battle's whole album with Cristopher Parkening is exquisite soprano and guitar.
The Stones... damn near everything they ever did. (counts as one pick I guess)

woodstock said:
(her Mom sang the Girl from Ipanema). I heard her on Sirius and ran to Amazon to get the CD. really good music.

LOVed that when it came out; I was in HS dating Alita Higley and thought I'd found my life's mate! She had broken up with someone else, and wound up going back to him!! Many songs remind me of folks I was with or places I was at.

BTW, White Christmas was B B Bing, not Frank!! Sorry.

Bill: it's great you like so much different stuff. Didn't mention classical, but really love some of that. My Ex just about went nutzo when I purchased the entire Rings thing Auf Deuche. The Ride of The Valkaries just about ended things on the spot :goofy: Duh duhda duh dum; duh duha duh da dum--with the background suprano in German.

Dave Siciliano said:
My Ex just about went nutzo when I purchased the entire Rings thing Auf Deuche. The Ride of The Valkaries just about ended things on the spot :goofy: Duh duhda duh dum; duh duha duh da dum--with the background suprano in German.

Yup, forgot about Wagner. Evil, dispicable man, but good music.

Gosh I am like Dave S. Their are so many favorites that come to mind. I enjoy it all. Depends very much on the mood. Right now Nat Cole is singing about "Chestnuts Roasting on the Fire"

Some timeless favorites might include; "Homeward Bound" Simom & Garfunkle.

The Who as Dave K. noted for flying and their other number "Eight Miles High"

Lots of Jazz and Big Bands, Colman Hawkins, Hubie Blake, Scott Joplin, Bennie Goodman and the list goes on.

Classical has so many great performers to list. I do hope to hear Ben play soon

And of course all the Rock, Blues, Soul, Blue Grass Trying to pick five songs is a real tough question. The choices are so diverse and I enjoy it all.

Gee maybe I will stop writing and play a few tunes on the old upright.

John

JohnnyHorton/ North to Alaska
Reba/ Somebody
Mcclean/ American pie
Lee Marvin/ Wandering Star
Dixie Chicks/ Travelin Soldier

How's that for eclectic?:redface:

and some big band sounds for the 40's

am I weird ?:dunno:

Dave Siciliano said:
The Ride of The Valkaries just about ended things on the spot :goofy: Duh duhda duh dum; duh duha duh da dum--with the background suprano in German.

That is one great song.

I also love the Grand Canyon Suite.... It does capture just a bit of the grandeur.

Like you, some songs remind me of places, people, and times. Then again, some of it reminds me of the time I was a DJ on the radio....

1. Locomotive Breath - Jethro Tull
2. Sossity - Jethro Tull
3. The Rub - Delbert McClinton
4. Adagio for Strings - Samuel Barber
5. Bach Cello Suites - gosh, any number of folks . . .

The first three are good road songs. There are so many others, too - stuff from Little Feat, Dr. John, all kinds of jazz, 'grass...

wsuffa said:
That is one great song.

I also love the Grand Canyon Suite.... It does capture just a bit of the grandeur.

Like you, some songs remind me of places, people, and times. Then again, some of it reminds me of the time I was a DJ on the radio....

Gee Bill, don't think I recall you saying anything about being a DJ before! You're a man of many talents.

I got a speeding ticket in DT Dallas once; I couldn't help myself--1812 overature was playing: the overture had REAL CANNONS firing! How in the world could I do the Speed Limit??

I have a very eclectic music collection. The last 5 I downloaded;
1. Popular from Wicked
2. No life without wife, from Bride and Prejudice
3. Up! Shania Twain
4. Goody Two Shoes, Adam Ant
5. If I were a rich man, Fiddler on the Roof

my top 5 most played on my iPod
1. Barbie Girl, Aqua
2. Kiss Me, Six Pence none the Richer
3. Breathless, The Corrs
4. Why Can't I, Liz Phair
5. Birdhouse in your Soul, They Might Be Giants

Last edited:
38 Special (Flashback) good for takeoff, approach and landing
Montgomery Gentry greatest hits - for cruise
Mary Chapin-Carpenter - for cruise
Van Halen for rough air

I have a stack of CD's but I can't stand most of them anymore because after observing a really good voice instructor teach a class (and hanging around the students of said class), I realized that while the cd's are generally ok, the musicians either can't sing, can't play..or more often than not, both. :vomit: I haven't been able to listen to the radio for several years now...

CD's that are readily available on the rack:
Loreena McKennitt - Bonny Swans and All Souls Night
Riverdance - in general

Currently playing: Celtic Woman
Walking in the Air = aviation related
May It Be, Orinoco Flow, One World, and generally the rest of the show.

Well, the first 4 aren't "songs" per se, but...
Schumann's Konzertstueck for 4 Horns
Schubert's "Trout" quintet
Mozart's Symphonia Concertante for Violin & Viola
Victor Ewald's brass quintets
Villa-Lobos' Bachianas Brasileiras
...and then Brahms' Lullaby is the sweetest, simplest song there is (with lots of emotional baggage attached to it!).

- Richard

Oh, yeah - and then the least favorite:
Pachelbel's Canon
Barber's Adagio for Strings (sorry, Tom. I do really go for Bach's cello sonatas, though!)

Last edited:
I can't believe not one of you suggested..

Bill Medley and Bobby Hatfield (The Righteous Brothers)..

http://www.righteousbrothers.com/

1.) Unchained Melody (Recognized in an AOL poll as the best love song of all-time.)

2.) You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' ( Most-played song in history of American radio)

3.) I've Had The Time of My Life (Song of the Year Honors)

4.) Georgia on My Mind

5.) You're My Soul and Inspiration

Dakota Duce

"May All Your Flights Be Of Good Weather!"

rfbdorf said:
Oh, yeah - and then the least favorite:
Pachelbel's Canon
Barber's Adagio for Strings (sorry, Tom. I do really go for Bach's cello sonatas, though!)
Ah, it's ok, you seem to normally have good taste otherwise! :D

But one of my favorite memories is kayaking along an undeveloped south Florida river listening to Barber's Adagio . . . it was some kind of beautiful.

Like most, I doubt if I could pick only five, and they might change from day to day. One song though that would be in that group of five consistantly would most definately be "Learning to Fly" by Pink Floyd. Otherwise I find that I am most often in the mood for blues...or just about anything by Jimmy Buffett. :yes:

etsisk said:
But one of my favorite memories is kayaking along an undeveloped south Florida river listening to Barber's Adagio . . . it was some kind of beautiful.

I was more expecting this one to go: "But one of my favorite memories is kayaking along an undeveloped south Florida river listening to Dueling Banjos"

:D

Dave Siciliano said:
Gee Bill, don't think I recall you saying anything about being a DJ before! You're a man of many talents.

Many moons ago, when radio wasn't run by computers....

I got a speeding ticket in DT Dallas once; I couldn't help myself--1812 overature was playing: the overture had REAL CANNONS firing! How in the world could I do the Speed Limit??

I used to have that as the ring tone on a cellphone. The new phone doesn't have it built in, and I refuse to pay for ringtones.

BTW, I think I left Motown off the list of favorites. R E S P E C T, tell me what it means to me.... One of the best shows I saw in Vegas was the Four Tops & Smokey Robinson doing the old stuff.

Well, since this is an aviation group, I'd have to list my 5 or so favorite flying sing-along songs. Don't worry, I move the mic away so it doesnt go over the intercom...

In no particular order...

Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away / Where are we runnin
Tim Mcgraw - Blue Jean Baby
U2 - Vertigo / Elevation
Weezer - Beverly Hills

I'll have to check out the playlist again :)

thanks for the ideas! I like Samuel Barber too - what a haunting song.

I had a few more last night... Goo Goo Dolls have a new song out (LOVE Goo Goo Dolls) and there is a new one out from James Blunt, if you get a chance to listen to it, do so (you can go to Virgin.net and pull up his new video Beautiful). and of course how can we forget Madonna - she has something new out as well.

somehow I doubt that my suggestions would fit ya, but here they are:

1) Denim and Leather, Saxon
2) Stone Cold, Hammerfall
3) Perry Mason, Ozzy Osbourne
4) Demanufacture, Fear Factory
5) The Art of Shredding, Pantera

I forgot to list my fav for going down in ice at night flying in wicked turbulence over the North Cascade's Mt. Stuart :
Led Zep's "Every Inch Of Your Love" -the long version's instrumental in particular.

Last edited:
Dave Krall CFII said:
I forgot to list my fav for going down in ice at night flying in wicked turbulence over the North Cascade's Mt. Stuart :
Led Zep's "Every Inch Of Your Love" -the long version's instrumental in particular.

Whole Lotta Love?

That's awesome - I agree, that's a good way to go out...with the crazy noises and whatnot.

Hmmmmmm. This should be easy.....

1. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
2. Earthshine - Rush
3. Burn - Deep Purple
4. Rock and Roll - Led Zeppelin
5. Long Live Rock - The Who

Too many alternates to list but Heart's version of Rock and Roll just flat rips! :yes:

SkyHog said:
Whole Lotta Love?

That's awesome - I agree, that's a good way to go out...with the crazy noises and whatnot.

Yes, thanks for the correction, I think I wrote down a line in the song.
Its buryied in the CD changer & I've listened to it 1000s of times but never looked at or learned the title !

Its recall and priceless, vivid reliving musically of the living hell of that winter's first solo IMC night flight, pitching and rolling wildly over the frozen North Cascades returning to Seattle are infalible with that song. I was going down in a mountain wave in a 182RG but got it (the 182RG got it...) flying back up (twice, 2 waves) to 12,000 so wasn't out, -that time !

Last edited:
Only 5? No way! It depends on my mood.

Contemplative mood:
Most of Mozart's piano concertos
All of the Messiah (not just the overdone Hallelujah Chorus)
Flyer (Nanci Griffith)
Nick of Time (Bonnie Raitt)
From a Distance (I like Fairport Convention's cover)
Riviera (Stevie Ray Vaughn)--oops, that's 6, oh well

Happy mood:
Barber of Seville
I Feel Lucky (Mary Chapin Carpenter)
Western Dream (Western Dream)
most of Steve Goodman
most of Tom Lehrer
any kind of bluegrass!!!
Deal (Grateful Dead)--oops, overshot again. Good thing I'm better at landing than coming up with song lists

Rockin' mood:
Hot Rod Lincoln (I like Asleep at the Wheel's cover)
pretty much anything by Stevie Ray Vaughan
Honky Tonk Women (Rolling Stone's cover)
When Love Comes to Town (BB King)
Truckin' (Grateful Dead)
I could go on and on for rockin' mood.

Judy

Bill Jennings said:
I was more expecting this one to go: "But one of my favorite memories is kayaking along an undeveloped south Florida river listening to Dueling Banjos":D
Ouch! I don't THINK so!! :no:

;)

I'll be disciplined enough to list only 5:

On The Turning Away - Pink Floyd
My Back Pages - John Stewart and Darwin's Army
75 Septembers - Peter, Paul and Mary
The Man's Too Strong - Dire Straits
It's My Job - Jimmy Buffett (since I've been reading the flying job threads) ;)

SkyHog said:
3) Perry Mason, Ozzy Osbourne

I don't mind, single file down the runway
Feelin' fine, and I'll see you my friend
Over and over again

Who can we get on the case?
We need Perry Mason
Someone to put you in place
Calling Perry Mason

See this song also references a runway...another part of flying. :yes:

not my favorite songs, but what I've bought recently:

You're beautiful - James Blunt
Hung Up - Madonna
Better Days (acoustic) - Goo Goo Dolls
Send me an Angel - Real Life
Take your mama - Scissor Sisters
Summertime - the Sundays
Wild Horses - the Sundays
Here's where the story ends - the Sundays.

the last remind me of songs from the Singles soundtrack and Real Life is a true 80s band. I didn't set out to get the older stuff, just started searching and a few things popped up which reminded me of them and voila.

the first three I just think are great songs. Goo Goo Dolls are underrated IMHO. (and the scissor sisters song is just cool)

and Cool by Gwen Stefani

Last edited:
Seasons of wither -aerosmith. Somewhere over the rinbow-judy garland.Vincent-don mclean.stairway to heavem-zeppelin.i will always remember-beatles. ANd tons more.After landing on skis in the 185 across from my house,we could light a fire then jump in the hot tub and i could play some for ya.

woodstock said:
I got an iTunes gift cert to use, so I'm trying to think of new (or old, even) music to get that I don't already have.

Gotta have variety. Just for kicks, I opened up iTunes and looked up my top 25 most played (since the last iTunes update, probably):

1. Just A Closer Walk With Thee (Canadian Brass)
2. I Believe in a Thing Called Love (The Darkness)
3. The Drunk Scotsman (Irish Rovers)
4. Soak Up The Sun (Sheryl Crow)
5. She's Always A Woman To Me (Billy Joel)

Honestly, the above surprises me somewhat. I have music from 618 different artists in my library, and the one I have the most of is Frank Sinatra (favorites: Moonlight Serenade, Come Fly With Me, In The Wee Small Hours, Softly As I Leave You, All Of Me... Too many to list!).

Classical favorites: Dvorak's 9th (New World Symphony), Shostakovich's "Festive Overture," Tchaikovsky's 4th and parts of the Nutcracker, 1812 Overture, Elgar's Enigma Variations, The Planets (Holst), Air on the G String (Bach), and Rachmaninoff's "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini."

Jazz: Arturo Sandoval is one of my favorites - A Mis Abuelos, A La P.P., Cherokee are good ones to try. (His classical stuff is great too, try the Arutunian Trumpet Concerto). Also, you can't go wrong with Louis Prima.

Rap: I used to be in the "I don't like it" crowd, but I can get into "happy rap" like Afroman and Will Smith as well as "political commentary rap" like Eminem. I just don't get into the "world sucks rap" that the genre used to consist of.

Okay, I really do have an awfully varied musical taste! Before this post gets any longer... A few other top-play artits are Shakira, Dean Martin, Dido, Meat Loaf, Weezer, Outkast, and Dada.

My "favorites" playlist adds such artists as AC/DC, Aerosmith, Avril Lavigne, Brian Setzer, Buddy Holly, Santana, Dave Mathews Band, Dixie Power Trio, Grateful Dead, Harry Connick Jr., Maria Muldaur, No Doubt, Pink Floyd, Prince, Queen, Sandi Patti, Shania Twain, Smashmouth, Tom Petty, Van Halen, and Weird Al. (And that's only about 1/10th of the names on that particular playlist.)

For something really cool, check out Apocalyptica if you can find 'em. I bet Ben Myers would get a kick out of it.

Better get a few more gift certificates. ;)

I really don't know. Really.

Back