What Are Your School's Renting Requirements for a Twin?

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Our flight school has an old Seneca 1, and I have a few hours multi. Requirements for rental are: Private/Instrument/ , 500 hrs total, Multi-Engine (of course), and 50 hrs multi with 5 in type. What are similar requirements for your flight school?

The in-type hours would automatically happen in the course of getting the add-on. 50 hours total multi seems like a great way never to have your plane rented, outside of lessons. In fact, one needs to spend about $13,000 before being able to do so, if one has no multi hours.

I would think that if one DID have 50+ multi hours, that person would be an owner or in a club.

What is this "school" of which you speak?

- an owner.

I think it's a polite way of saying they really don't want to rent it unless you are a paying student. :dunno:

NAFC at KANP in Annapolis require a commercial plus the hours. I thought that was rather strange but it's their bat and ball.

NAFC at KANP in Annapolis require a commercial plus the hours. I thought that was rather strange but it's their bat and ball.

Interesting. Do they specify hours ME and/or in type?

The Duchess I can rent is 150TT, 25 Multi(or 10 in Duchess and 25 retract) plus annual checkout.

The Malibu on the other hand is 500TT, 100 Retract and 10 hours in type.

They don't even rent multis at Wings anymore. Only place around here that I know of is PNE with a Seminole and Seneca II and Princeton NJ with a Seminole

The Duchess I can rent is 150TT, 25 Multi(or 10 in Duchess and 25 retract) plus annual checkout.

Both requirements seem reasonable. I'm amazed anyone rents Malibus!

My schools renting requirement includes a basic grammar test. That is typical of many schools' requirements.

Re: What Are Your Schools' Renting Requirements for a Twin?

My schools renting requirement includes a basic grammar test. That is typical of many schools' requirements.

Oh shoot. I hate it when I do that! (And I don't think I can fix it, either!)

Hortman Aviation at PNE has a Seminole and Seneca II.

Requirements are the same for both:
500 TT
25 MEL
15 in type
IFR rated

Hourly Rental (Solo/Dual)
$299/$349 Seneca II
$269/$319 Seminole
(add 8% Philadelphia sales tax and $5 landing fee at PNE)

You are encouraged to have your own renters insurance but not required. You are on the hook for up to a $5000 deductable for any damanges.

Both requirements seem reasonable. I'm amazed anyone rents Malibus!

I'd love to rent a Malibu just to experience it. I've always found it to be a sleek sexy single. And yes, I've read all the history and bad press. Doesn't change how appealing it is to me.

That's not wildly different from what an insurance company would want to see. 25 might be a good number too, but I don't feel like it's way off base.....

Hortman Aviation at PNE has a Seminole and Seneca II.

Requirements are the same for both:
500 TT
25 MEL
15 in type
IFR rated

Hourly Rental (Solo/Dual)
$299/$349 Seneca II
$269/$319 Seminole
(add 8% Philadelphia sales tax and $5 landing fee at PNE)

You are encouraged to have your own renters insurance but not required. You are on the hook for up to a $5000 deductable for any damanges.

15 in type... So if I've flown a Seneca I'd need to buy 15hrs to fly their Seminole or vise versa?

15 in type... So if I've flown a Seneca I'd need to buy 15hrs to fly their Seminole or vise versa?

Yes, that's exactly what that means. Otherwise, they would only need to stipulate 25 MEL and nothing about type-specific.

This also applies to Seneca I vs Seneca II. I did my multi training in a Seneca I somewhere else. To be able to rent at Hortman, I had to build up my 25 Total MEL, with at least 15 of those being in the PA-34-200T. The other 10 could be in anything, including the PA-34-200 I trained in, and the Seminole.

Oh shoot. I hate it when I do that! (And I don't think I can fix it, either!)

I'm not hating on you, I do the same thing!

Interesting. Do they specify hours ME and/or in type?

8. Operation of Multiengine Airplane – No member may act as PIC of a
Center multiengine airplane unless the member has a commercial certificate and
multiengine airplane and instrument ratings. In addition, the member must have
logged at least the following flight experience: 350 total hours, 50 of which are in
a multiengine airplane with at least five hours in the same make and model as
the Center’s multiengine airplane. For purposes of this requirement, a Piper
Geronimo is a different make and model than a Piper Apache. In lieu of 50 hours
in a multiengine airplane, a member may act as PIC of a Center multiengine
airplane with 25 hours in the same make and model as the Center’s multiengine

Requirement for renting a multi at my school -

Step 1. Buy a multi and lease it to the school.

Our flight school has an old Seneca 1, and I have a few hours multi. Requirements for rental are: Private/Instrument/ , 500 hrs total, Multi-Engine (of course), and 50 hrs multi with 5 in type. What are similar requirements for your flight school?

The in-type hours would automatically happen in the course of getting the add-on. 50 hours total multi seems like a great way never to have your plane rented, outside of lessons. In fact, one needs to spend about $13,000 before being able to do so, if one has no multi hours.

I would think that if one DID have 50+ multi hours, that person would be an owner or in a club.

It works for me, I have 1200 ME with more than 5 in Senecas. Where I learned, the Seneca II required 250TT, MEL rating and 25 in type. Aren't you about ready to buy a plane?

The one FBO with a multi for rent around here has the same requirements. I'm guessing that they really don't get too many takers on renting their plane solo so it isn't really a big deal.

Why would you think that? I know lots of people who have thousands of hours in multiengine airplanes who have never owned a twin.

Sounds like you're with Plus One Flyers.

IIRC the Seneca II here is 25 in type, instrument rating, and either 750TT or 100 multi.

Sounds as though it was copied verbatim from the operator's insurance policy.

Bob Gardner

I'm not hating on you, I do the same thing!

I realized that. From now on, Im not using apostrophes. Ill just leave them out.

It works for me, I have 1200 ME with more than 5 in Senecas. Where I learned, the Seneca II required 250TT, MEL rating and 25 in type. Aren't you about ready to buy a plane?

Yes, especially if I want a twin. It seems impracticable if I want to rent one.

Best thing would be to get two or three partners, to soften the cost. I don't fly every day, and if I did, it'd probably be a business, and I could deduct it!

Sounds as though it was copied verbatim from the operator's insurance policy.

Bob Gardner

Agree. And I don't necessarily think it is unreasonable to want 50 hours in multis, and 500 total. There's a whole hell of a lot more complexity in a Seneca as compared even to a C182 RG.

BTW, I'm surprised you haven't sold your C310. It looks like an excellent choice for those who want a twin!

That Malibu is one of the early, 310 hp ones. It is FIKI, though. Looks very nice.

It's a fairly nice one. I decided against getting checked out in it basically because the 210 was far more useful for us from a load standpoint and the speed/ pressurization wasn't as useful for the distances we were flying when we lived in San Diego.

50hr PIC in Type unless your Multi & MEI cert was given by the school then it's only 25hr PIC in type.

The school lowered the requirement after they noticed no one getting their MEI. Use to after your MEI you still had to pay until you had 50hrs.

Last edited:
Back