What are your favorite cuisines?

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
My brother came down for a visit this weekend. We're from NW PA, which isn't exactly "ethnic food central". Unless you are Slovak, Polish, Greek, Italian or German. Some Middle Eastern and Chinese food can be found there too.

Anyway, I took him on a food tour. Different cuisine for each meal.

Indian food. Korean BBQ. Italian (pizza place in G'town I've always wanted to visit but never got around to it). Latin-Asian fusion. Finally, Peruvian. We didn't have time for Ethiopean but there is always next time.

"All food is ethnic food." - Tyler Cowen

A major travel fantasy of mine is to go on one of Anthony Bourdain's adventures.

My favorites are Greek, Middle-Eastern or Burmese, but I like all kinds of ethnic foods. When it's my turn to pick the restaurant people know that I will pick something ethnic. The more unusual, the better.

Something that doesn't oink.
Something that probably wouldn't be someone's pet.
Something that doesn't look like an overgrown bug, or snot in a shell.

Anything that includes lots of leafy green vegetables and meat is fine with me. Being on a low carb diet tends to be limiting. I can usually manage to find an option with most cuisines if I try hard enough. I tend to order a lot of chicken Ceasar salads at restaurants.

Ok, I give up. What's with all the iFoo nicknames?

Mexican food.

Fried Chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, and anything else on Bojangles' menu.

Also - if that is not available, Hamburger Helper and Brussels' Sprouts.

I know, we met there!

Where in NW PA? Sure, it's all fast food, chain eateries, or Amish.

I prefer Italian, Mexican, German, and Amish. I miss this one place in Waterford, PA. Don't find cookin' like that here in Fort Worth.

Also had delish Georgian (country, not state) food in Philly that was totally awesome.

And the food is really cheap because there's nothing on the plates!

That's a line from When Harry Met Sally, the Ethiopian restaurant will be a quick meal, just order two empty plates and leave.

Where in NW PA? Sure, it's all fast food, chain eateries, or Amish.

I prefer Italian, Mexican, German, and Amish. I miss this one place in Waterford, PA. Don't find cookin' like that here in Fort Worth.

Also had delish Georgian (country, not state) food in Philly that was totally awesome.

Amish in NW PA?

Thai
Vietnamese
Israeli
Italian
Mexican
Indian
Portugese
Spanish

Hmmm, I've never seen that singled out. How is it different from/similar to others in the region?
Singaporean is really a fussion type of cuisine. Singapore has been a cross roads for centuries and the food is a blend of Thai, Malaysian, Indian and Chinese. My favorite Singapore dish is chili crab. A Large clawed crab that is smothered in a sweet hot chili sauce derived from Thai chilis. There are also a lot of Hokian style dishes with little add in from China. Singaporeans man hobby seems to be eating really good food. The street hawkers have great little dishes too. Lots of Indonesian street food abounds in Singapore.

Mennonites use some electric and cars. Amish don't use any modern technology. My brother's house was built by Amish workers. They brought their buggies to his house in Chapmanville, PA, near Titusville. He could have gone to pick them up, but there was plenty of land for the horses to graze while they worked the day.

And, in OH, the biggest concentration of them (like Lancaster in SE PA) is in Berlin.

Anyway, I love their cooking and baking. The place in Waterford, PA is called Sugar & Spice. If you are ever there (not end Dec-Feb as they're closed), the food is amazing! They are located in the historic Eagle Hotel. You can also purchase Amish quilts there, too. The only reason I'd ever go back to that area would be to visit that place.

French
Chinese
Greek
Japanese
Indian
Spanish
German
Ethiopian
Hawaiian
American Southern Style
Singaporean

All that plus:

Korean
Vietnamese
Dim Sum
"Soul" food
Seafood
Shabu-Shabu
Mongolian

Well gosh pretty much anything.

I gotta find me some shoo-fly pie, mmmm-mmm!!!

Mennonites use some electric and cars. Amish don't use any modern technology. My brother's house was built by Amish workers. They brought their buggies to his house in Chapmanville, PA, near Titusville. He could have gone to pick them up, but there was plenty of land for the horses to graze while they worked the day.

And, in OH, the biggest concentration of them (like Lancaster in SE PA) is in Berlin.

Anyway, I love their cooking and baking. The place in Waterford, PA is called Sugar & Spice. If you are ever there (not end Dec-Feb as they're closed), the food is amazing! They are located in the historic Eagle Hotel. You can also purchase Amish quilts there, too. The only reason I'd ever go back to that area would be to visit that place.

Back