What are you reading right now?

Brian Austin

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Austin
Besides this post, of course. ;)

In the middle of Mayflower, by Nathaniel Philbrick, about the Pilgrims and their impact on the "New World". Great book so far. Well written, informative, and easy to read.

So what are you reading?

(Note: while any and all titles are acceptable, please don't start this into a political thread. I'm just curious what others are reading, not personal comments on the political or ethical stance of WHY you might be reading it or espousing your Left/Right/Center/Green/Communist/Atheist viewpoints. Thanks.)

Mine is very non-political. I just finished "Flowers for Algernon" by Daniel Keyes.

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking, by Malcolm Gladwell. Fascinating book.

I had also read his book The Tipping Point earlier this year.

I found it very informative and full of food for thought as a pilot, a law enforcement agent, and a medical provider. And actually an easy read, which isn't always true of these kind of books. I've been devouring it.

Techiniclaly im in the middle of Moon Shot by Deke Slayton and Alan Shepard but sadly have been too busy to turn a page the last couple months.

Okay, I'll dumb it down a little. In addition to all the aviation magazines, I'm about to start (on CD, since I have about 2.5 hours a day in the car) the first Harry Potter novel. I suppose I should be a little better about downloading the PilotCast, but that still won't cover my entire drive time!

Everskyward said:
Mine is very non-political. I just finished "Flowers for Algernon" by Daniel Keyes.

Oh, my. That is a touching novel, isn't it?

I am early in "Angels & Demons," by Dan Brown.

Am I the only one who thinks Brown's writing is a little... stiff?

I finished Flyboys: A True Story of Courage by James Bradley a few days ago,
Just picked up
D-Day June 6,1944: The Climactic Battle of World War II. By Stephen E. Ambrose
also,
Instrument Flying Handbook-FAA
Instrument/Commercial Manual - Jeppesen
Weather Flying- Robert N Buck

Last edited:
I'm reading ALL of the PoA threads, not just this one. ;)

Unfortunately, I haven't read any paper books lately for fun. I've mostly been reading flying books, and more of the "Instrument Flying Manual" type thing than anything. I did just listen to Flight of Passage on my iPod (purchased from iTunes music store) in the truck at the end of April, though. I need to find more stuff like that.

I really should start reading again. I can fell meself getting stoopider as time goez un.

Presently, two important documents: A: FAR 2006; B: Purchase and Sales agreement on my house in North Scottsdale(closing is June 30).
Other than those, multiple aviation publications and with specific interest in the Garmin 430 brochure.

HR

Everskyward said:

ohh, I love that book. I read it in 6th or 7th grade and again in high school. it's really a tear jerker isn't it???

cherokeeflyboy said:
Just picked up
D-Day June 6,1944: The Climactic Battle of World War II. By Stephen E. Ambrose

This ranks as one of my favorite books. (I can't put a number on any of them, just that I hold them in the highest esteem). he died too soon. you definitely need to visit his D-Day Museum in New Orleans, I believe it survived Katrina mostly ok.

Currently reading (still) a Traveler in Rome by HV Morton. I cannot recommend this book enough. (Even if you have no current plans to go to Rome). This is not a book you will read only once (if you are a history buff anyway). It's going with me on my next trip to Rome - with highlighted margins of things to seek out.

Just finished the gazzilionth reading of "Fate is the Hunter". Now to move on to some good summertime trash: detective paperbacks, etc.

Dan

Stacks and stacks of legal briefs....

I liked the first half of "Blink"...the 2nd part got a little tedious.

Right now, in the middle of "The Chronicles of Narnia." We found all 7 books compiled into one big book at Sam's Club for $12, a pretty good deal. We sit down as a family and read a chapter to Sean every night. We just started "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader." Also working our way through the New Testament the same way.

On my own, I'm reading through the AIM part of the FAR/AIM, having finished the FAR part again, and some book about aviation weather, the title of which escapes me.

infotango said:
Stacks and stacks of legal briefs....

I liked the first half of "Blink"...the 2nd part got a little tedious.

his other book is really, really good and very thought provoking. I may read it again actually.

gprellwitz said:
Okay, I'll dumb it down a little. In addition to all the aviation magazines, I'm about to start (on CD, since I have about 2.5 hours a day in the car) the first Harry Potter novel. I suppose I should be a little better about downloading the PilotCast, but that still won't cover my entire drive time!

Not to worry I finished reading HP:Half BLood Prince for the 4th time when I was in Isreal last month.

woodstock said:
This ranks as one of my favorite books. (I can't put a number on any of them, just that I hold them in the highest esteem). he died too soon. you definitely need to visit his D-Day Museum in New Orleans, I believe it survived Katrina mostly ok.

Read his Eisenhower bio. after reading D-Day it is a good follow on as he focuses on Eisenhower the man leading up to WW2 and then his political life after WW2. Gives you a bunch of insights into that era.

And I agree, Ambrose died too soon. I have read most of his stuff. Still want to get to his Lewis and Clark book but I have read all of his WW2 stuff.

SCCutler said:
Nope. I wasn't that impressed with DaVinci Code and put Angels & Demons down after one chapter. I'm not reading any more of his stuff.

"What Would the Founders Do?"
The author takes modern day political questions and poses responses based on the writings of our nation's founding fathers.

"The Enthusiastic Employee"
The theory (with which I concur) is that employees want to do good work but management often gets in the way.

Len

SCCutler said:
Oh, my. That is a touching novel, isn't it?

I am early in "Angels & Demons," by Dan Brown.

Angels and Demons was not very good IMHO. I did like the DaVinci Code, that book moved very fast and was at least a little plausible. Wehn you get to the end of A&D you will see what I mean by that statement, I don't want to give it away.

woodstock said:
ohh, I love that book. I read it in 6th or 7th grade and again in high school. it's really a tear jerker isn't it???
I think I read an extremely condensed version of it in junior high and I also remember seeing the movie Charly with Cliff Robertson when he was still young. I saw the book while browsing in a bookstore recently and decided to get it. I enjoyed it as much as I hoped I would.

Nothing now, but Hawking's A Brief History of Time is next on my list. The last book I read....something by Crichton - Timeline maybe?

"The Lexus and the Olive Tree" by Thomas Friedman. Globalization and the conflict of cultures. Friedman writes for The New York Times and often hosts a show on the Discovery Times channel. His last, "The World is Flat" might still be on the best seller list.

Len Lanetti said:
"The theory (with which I concur) is that employees want to do good work but management often gets in the way. Len

I sure agree with that one; with the vast majority of people, if you let them know what you want done, and give them the proper tools and/or support to do it, they're likely to far exceed your expectations. If they weren't good, you wouldn't have hired them in the first place, right?

Dan

All to often management thinks that they are the annointed ones with answers, and that the peons are just that. But hey, I'll work as inefficiently as my employer tells me to.

BTW a good book I finished reading a few months ago about the Fall of the Roman Republic is The Rubicon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...f=pd_bbs_1/002-7165717-6917643?_encoding=UTF8

Great book and he captures the era very well and explains it in a concise manner. I had already read Decline and Fall (abridged) of the Roman Empire and Plutarch so I had a resonably good idea of what this bookwas to be about. But it could also be read by someone with out any experience in Roman hostory.

thanks Scott! always looking to add to my Rome list. I am taking my parents to Italy next May and I have to collect some books for my Dad to read as well. (he could hold his own with just about anyone in regards to Civil War history, no joke and no exaggeration... but he doesn't have the same knowledge re: Rome and I know he'd devour it like he does Civil War matters.

I don't even know how many books he has on the Civil War - he makes trips nearly monthly to tromp battlefields... at least non-winter months anyway.

"Where Mountains Live - Twelve Great Treks of the World"
Then again after careful consideration, maybe ilieteriace is way underraeted and I shud just load up my expedition backpack and hop on the next flight out of town...destination Kashgar..gateway to the Karakoram Range.

"There's no substitute for travel. If you don't do it, no amount of explanation can get you to the point where you feel like you have. And a lot of travelling is having personal experiences. A country is just a country. It's what you do and who you meet in those countries that make them special."

woodstock said:
thanks Scott! always looking to add to my Rome list. I am taking my parents to Italy next May and I have to collect some books for my Dad to read as well. (he could hold his own with just about anyone in regards to Civil War history, no joke and no exaggeration... but he doesn't have the same knowledge re: Rome and I know he'd devour it like he does Civil War matters.

I don't even know how many books he has on the Civil War - he makes trips nearly monthly to tromp battlefields... at least non-winter months anyway.

He'll love it. It is a great read and then to follow up with a visit to Rome will really help enjoy the city that much better. My only beef with the writer was that he had issues with Cicero. He portrayed him as a bit of a whinner. Where I have formed a different perspective. But that is really minor nitpicking.

I am a civil war buff as well but have not been reading much of late as I have been reading other history.

damn you SCott and your amazon links! I just bought them both and a few other books. 40 bucks.

I will read them first of course. :)

Dan Smith said:
Just finished the gazzilionth reading of "Fate is the Hunter". Now to move on to some good summertime trash: detective paperbacks, etc.

Dan

Dan: Speaking of reading, you and I need to read a menu somewhere in the Lincoln County area during this summer. Perhaps we should partake of Ken Brown's services. I took the photo several years ago.

HR

Attachments

• KenBrownsPlace.jpg
    KenBrownsPlace.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 7
Back