What are you paying for gas?

EHITCH

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Elizabeth
Not aviation related but just curious to know, what are folks paying for auto gas these days?
I paid $2.69 for regular on Thursday, yesterday the price was $2.79 (located near IL-WI border).
Elizabeth

Close to home here in Egg Harbor Township, NJ, regular will set you back 2.31 a gallon. Premium is 2.53. Can't tell you what 100LL is nor Jet A but they ain't given that away either.

John
So what is it today, supply, demand, refining, security, taxes or just the fact that the bastards have us by the 'nards and really enjoy making money? :hairraise:

$2.35 - $2.41 in San Antonio. Up 12 cents in the last week.

$2.359 to $2.459 for regular unleaded in Rogersville TN. 100LL is $3.50 cash at KRVN.
Ron

Just outside St.Louis on the MO side it is $2.39.9-$2.69.9. It is now cheaper to buy 100LL($2.59 at Cuba) than 87 UL.

Just paid 2.59 9/10 a gallon for gas here. Last week I paid about 2.29 9/10.

That's unbelievable. I remember fondly (like, last year) when prices were 1.30ish and stable.

Y'ever notice, when the price of oil is rising, gas prices rise at least as quickly (and, in current circumstances, to a substantially greater degree than that portion of gas price represented by crude value), reason given is that they have to price the gas to the sodt of the replacement fuel.

But, when oil prices decline, gas prices drift down slowly, because "...it takes a while to get into the pipeline..."

Price of gas is not a life-altering factor for me, but current state of the market (both crude and refined product) bears little relationship to rational behavior.

ZPH FL NE of Tampa 100LL $2.90 filled the car yesterday @$2.40. I remember 100@ $.38. When I traded my Cub off for a Cessna 140 I found it could take close to $10 worth which was better than 1/2 a days pay. Bought a Cherokee Six that could hold $40 worth that I was operating an air taxi with charging $30-36/hr for and making a living doing it. Charlie Melot

For 100LL $3.14 at my home field, FTG, and $2.77 at the cheapest most convenient airport nearby, 18V. (both in the greater Denver, CO area)

Mogas is around $2.35 for 87UL.

Anthony said:
For 100LL $3.14 at my home field, FTG, and $2.77 at the cheapest most convenient airport nearby, 18V. (both in the greater Denver, CO area)

Mogas is around $2.35 for 87UL.

$2.59 for regular mogas here. $2.79-2.90 for premium This time last year, it was just under $2.

The Department of Energy says the official price is 232.9 a gallon in the Midwest - I just wish I knew where they were buying their gas.

Remember the outcry when it hit $2.00 a gallon a couple years back ? I figure that $3.00 might not be long in coming.

Looking at my credit card receipt, I paid $2.49 for 87 octane in Elizabeth, CO which is about 30 miles SE of Denver. I try not to look at the prices since I'm going to buy it anyway. That's the ostrich in me.

Seems to be about 2.49 for regular mo gas here in Central PA. Last time I looked anyway. Saw a quote that some analysts think it will be $3 by labor day. Vacation sitting home in the dark, I guess.

Jim G

Premium IS $2.96/gallon here in Crooks County, and that's outside of Chicago. You folks just don't have enough pols with fingers in the revenue stream.

We'll go by $3.00/gallon so fast $2.00 a gallon will be nostalgia for those with AHD. :mad:

:mad: Last Friday just outside Philly @ my "discount" station it was $2.49 Today Monday morning it was $2.58. It went up six cents per gallon last week and nin cents over the weekend.:mad: The sick thing about this is we are very close to the refineries in Philly. If you travel ten miles further out to where my law partner lives its Ten cents a gallon cheaper.

I love going down the shore b/c gas is ALWAYS cheaper in N.J. Last week in Willamstown and Pamona where the FAA is it was $2.10-$2.13 per gallon on Wed then they raised it uniformly to $2.21 per gallon for the weekend shore travelers. Grrrrrrrr. I find my self coasting down hills much more than I used to.

At the my mom and dads stationg here in Southeast Kansas it was $2.45 for unleaded, but Conoco called yesterday and had us raise it to $2.49, but still a mile down the road at another station it is $2.59.
We went to Grand Lake in Oklahoma this last weekend and it was $2.95 on the water. Talk about an expensive weekend.

Rudy: If its not intrusive I wonder if you would mind posting the profit they make on a gallon out there in KS. I have a client who works for WAWA a mini market here in PA and in NJ they buy from several refineries and make about 13 cents per gallon. I always hear the little guy only makes 3-4 cents per gallon and the small service station makes it living on repairs.

Last edited:
AdamZ said:
Rudy: If its not intrusive I wonder if you would mind posting the profit they make on a gallon out there in KS. I have a client who works for WAWA a mini market here in PA and in NJ they buy from several refineries and make about 13 cents per gallon. I always hear the little guy only make 3-4 cents per gallon and its the the small service station makes it living on repairs.
No problem,
We make an average of probably 1-2 cents a gallon on gas, We in NO way control how much the price is. In some cases we even lose money in gas because other local stations our lower and when more people get gas more people buy drinks, snacks, etc. So we will be lowered in price.
I have read many times in the local papers' "letters to the editor" people complain about gas stations raising prices and so forth. That is hardly the case.
All in all gas is little to no profit, however it brings in good profit because the people buy other things.

Rudy said:
No problem,
We make an average of probably 1-2 cents a gallon on gas, We in NO way control how much the price is. In some cases we even lose money in gas because other local stations our lower and when more people get gas more people buy drinks, snacks, etc. So we will be lowered in price.
I have read many times in the local papers' "letters to the editor" people complain about gas stations raising prices and so forth. That is hardly the case.
All in all gas is little to no profit, however it brings in good profit because the people buy other things.

How many Gas stations do you know that don't have either a maintenance bay, or 'Kwiki-Mart' attached ?

It's not the gas-stations that make the money out of gasoline, it's the oil companies themselves. That being said, they must be making money on that kwikie-mart, because every time I turn around, there is another gas station going up. I drove home from the wife's office the other day, an 8 mile trip - and passed 6 gas stations. Within a 5 mile radius of my house, there are over 20 :)

up until a few weeks ago I literally didn't pay attention - could not have told you what gas prices were - had a rough idea what a tank cost, but other than that didn't pay heed. but when it went from 33 a tank, to 37, to 40 to 43 in a really short amount of time - it was like whoa! something is rotten and it ain't the fish. since maybe 18 months ago (not sure exactly) gas prices have gone up almost 75%.

I knew something was up when I drove past Costco and saw 25+ cars lined up for 2.65 a gallon of premium. I paid 2.80 yesterday. (2.799)

my next question is - why isn't gas tied into the inflation index? (or is it? I recall some things that were not in the way they calculate inflation, housing was one of them, which doesn't make sense - I've also seen a 50% ++ increase in my house value in 18 months.

Exactly, gas itself makes hardly any money, but the buisness gas brings gives a good profit.

woodstock said:
I knew something was up when I drove past Costco and saw 25+ cars lined up for 2.65 a gallon of premium. I paid 2.80 yesterday. (2.799)

OK, I guess that is a good gauge of who the gas price increases are hurting. While I would like to save $.20/gal, I wouldn't wait in a 25 car line to get it...no way.

Bill Jennings said:
OK, I guess that is a good gauge of who the gas price increases are hurting. While I would like to save $.20/gal, I wouldn't wait in a 25 car line to get it...no way.

you got it. no way in hell. my time is worth more than that. I hope it doesn't come to the lines of the 70s again....

woodstock said:
you got it. no way in hell. my time is worth more than that. I hope it doesn't come to the lines of the 70s again....

Another gauge of hurt. Was driving past Sams club over the weekend, no lines, and they're typically $.07/$.10 cheaper than the others, so we pulled in to top off. There was an older lady there trying to push her old/ratty looking car up to the pumps. Of course, the several men nearby pumping didn't lend a hand.

I jumped out and helped push her car to the pump. "You really shouldn't cut your gas so low, you know," I said. She replied, "I know, and I was running low, but this is the only gas I can afford. Well, I really can't even afford this, but it is the cheapest gas in town."

Willing to run out of gas to get the cheapest price = hurting.

Sad.

Bill Jennings said:
Another gauge of hurt. Was driving past Sams club over the weekend, no lines, and they're typically $.07/$.10 cheaper than the others, so we pulled in to top off. There was an older lady there trying to push her old/ratty looking car up to the pumps. Of course, the several men nearby pumping didn't lend a hand.

I jumped out and helped push her car to the pump. "You really shouldn't cut your gas so low, you know," I said. She replied, "I know, and I was running low, but this is the only gas I can afford. Well, I really can't even afford this, but it is the cheapest gas in town."

Willing to run out of gas to get the cheapest price = hurting.

Sad.

yup you got it. this isn't hurting people with money - it's hurting those who already can't afford the basics anyway. oil companies don't know and don't care. and Congress gives them a tax break.

EHITCH said:
Not aviation related but just curious to know, what are folks paying for auto gas these days?
I paid $2.69 for regular on Thursday, yesterday the price was $2.79 (located near IL-WI border).
Elizabeth

1,42 Euro per liter, works out to $6.64 a gallon.

No clue per gallon but it's always TWO $20's and change when I fill up a 20 gallon tank that's not empty. That includes the 3 cents off per gallon king supers card.

I so wish I could use my 57mpg motorcycle instead of the jeep.

Is there any way to get a discount on bulk quantity? I'm seriously thinking about a couple 55 gallon drums or a 100 gallon tank and loading them up on the trailer when prices are down.

fgcason said:
No clue per gallon but it's always TWO $20's and change when I fill up a 20 gallon tank that's not empty. That includes the 3 cents off per gallon king supers card.

I so wish I could use my 57mpg motorcycle instead of the jeep.

Is there any way to get a discount on bulk quantity? I'm seriously thinking about a couple 55 gallon drums or a 100 gallon tank and loading them up on the trailer when prices are down.

Yeah, but the break starts about 500 gallons on up though with the best breaks typically over 2000 gallons. If you have a truck and buy "from the rack" you can save substantially, but then you have to maintain a fuel truck. 4 buddies and I years ago when we all owned planes went in on one, we saved ALOT of money on 100LL.

woodstock said:
my next question is - why isn't gas tied into the inflation index? (or is it? I recall some things that were not in the way they calculate inflation, housing was one of them, which doesn't make sense - I've also seen a 50% ++ increase in my house value in 18 months.

I think its priced to what the market will bear. If you watch the gas futures prices, they go up a penny or two, the next day, so does the price of gas. Has nothing to do with the supply or inflation. People insist on driving their 18 mpg SUV's and trucks and the oil companies are just loving every bit of it.
I was running on fumes yesterday, and I about died when I filled up. I may have to get a second job. Cost me just over $7.00 to fill the tank. OUTRAGEOUS, I tell ya!!!

Dee
Lovin' my 88 mpg Honda Rebel

I just this morning filled the tank with $2.99 a gallon Shell premium across the county line road in barely Lake County, IL. It was $38.64 for 13.2 gallons.

What do I win? :goofy:

That's what I get for shooting my mouth off.

The guy on the other side of the pump was filling a Lexus SUV. I wanted to joke that the line for second mortgages was over there, but I thought better of it, thinking I might get shot.

Last edited:
mikea said:
It was $38.64 for 13.2 gallons.

:eek: :hairraise:
Dang!

Premium? I can't touch the stuff even if I wanted to. I makes me sick.

mikea said:
What do I win?

Your picture on the front page of the oil companies underground "they'll pay what we tell them to pay" newsletter? :(

Makes you want to pull up to the pumps with a moped doesn't it? But they'd probably get mad at you for paying with change instead of multiple $20's.

fgcason said:
Makes you want to pull up to the pumps with a moped doesn't it? But they'd probably get mad at you for paying with change instead of multiple $20's.
Nah, they'd just jack the price up more saying it was a specialty fuel.

Ken Ibold said:
Nah, they'd just jack the price up more saying it was a specialty fuel.
$2.89 for 89 Octane. "Please, no $50s or $100s".

Bruce

JUst paid

yup 2.69 for reg and had to fill up the tractor at the same time. YUK. guess I got to get good at ground leaning. The Tractor is one of those old Ford Fergesons with a modified Model A 4 banger. It does run through the fuel though. 2.69 Yikes.

John J

mikea said:
I just this morning filled the tank with $2.999 a gallon Shell premium across the county line road in barely Lake County, IL. It was $38.64 for 13.2 gallons.

We just drove by the same Shell gas station a little less than 11 hours later. Premium is now $3.039 a gallon. In other words it went up 1.3% in half a day.

The news tonight is showing stations in the city where premium gas is $3.159 and $3.179 a gallon.

It's gonna hit $5.00. That will make megaSUVs and airplanes into lawn ornaments.

Last edited:
mikea said:
We just drove by the same Shell gas station a little less than 11 hours later. Premium is now $3.03 a gallon. In other words it went up 1.3% in half a day.

I've saw it go up about 4 cents at the local Shell station in a 3 hour period last week. And today Pete took the Triumph up to the dealer for its 5K service and 1 hour later the price was up 2 cents. I've driven my car 15 feet in the past 8 days (had to move it out of the way for the teenager). The little Rebel has the large sized Ortlieb panniers on it, so I can do some of my grocery shopping, or pick up supplies. I looked kinda dorky on Monday as I brought in two large sized Hefty bags of household trash strapped to the back seat. (We don't have garbage service at the house, we dump it in the shop trash bin). Instead of grocery shopping once a week, I will break it into two or three trips (store is on the way home, so no extra mileage there), newspaper/cardboard recycling is now once a week instead of once a month.
I will ride the Rebel until there is snow on the ground and I can't get it out of the driveway (need 4WD for that). I've got cold weather gear and raingear, and I've come to accept that my hair will be messed up no matter how careful I am with the helmet. Small price to pay for spending $7 bucks a week on fuel vs $30 on the Vibe. I guess I am pretty fortunate in that I don't have to cart around any kids.

$2.61 in Page, AZ. $3.68 at Dangling Rope Marina 42 miles uplake from the damn on Lake Powell!!

Couldn't resist posting this, from today's Tribune. It's one way to boost your mpg ..

Back