What Are You Gonna To Do Now?

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
I had an interesting Saturday. Four of us in 2 aircraft decided to visit Goodland for lunch (FTG-GLD is about 140 nm). Got there, had a great lunch, and watched a C172 land. And then sit on the taxiway for quite a long time. A very long time.

Decided against the apple pie and walked back to the office to check weather and such and encountered a 20ish student pilot. Turns out the right main tire blew as it landed. The plane veered to the right and fortunately, the right main went into the mud but the other 2 wheels remained on the concrete. It was the student's long cross-country, by the way.

Needless to say student was very distraught, shaken up, really at a loss what to do. Numerous phone calls between the student and the CFI/school. Since I was not privy to those calls, I don't know either side of the discussion.

Since none of us had a compelling reason to return to Denver, we stayed to provide moral support and just because we were curious.

Upon observation of the tire in question, the center was slick, the hole was the size of a half-dollar, and was in both the tire and the tube. Three hours later a new tire & tube replaced, and we decided we'd fly back with the student. So the other aircraft & I flew back with the C172 in between (single file, about 2-3 miles between each of us).

Everyone got home safely, albeit much later than expected.

Observations --
1. the school/CFI allowed this C172 to fly with what was clearly an unacceptable tire
2. the student did not perform an acceptable pre-flight or they would have noticed the tire
3. while flying, the student did not understand how to tune a VOR and determine what radial they was on
4. When we suggested the most practical route home (it was hazy, flying into the sun so follow I-70 to a known location, turn south to the reservoir, then turn west which is direct line to KAPA) the student wanted a different route that took us south away from known landmarks.
5. Not familiar with the geography (which tells me they forgot to read the map) because we had to remind them a couple times about altitude.

This got me thinking. One thing I noticed was the shoes. Lightweight sneakers, hence the title of this missive.

Q1. You're lucky, you landed on pavement at an airport with a shop that could replace the tire. What if you had to land off-field? What are you gonna do?
A. I'd get out my cell phone and call XXX

Q2. No cell phone service, what are you gonna do?
A. Uhhhh

Q3. Are you going to walk in those shoes?
A. Uhhhh

This is a complaint against the way new students are trained. Yes, they train us (poorly) for emergencies. Ok, so I've got an emergency and managed to land the plane in some manner that lets me live. But what now? There's no training or even a conversation about what to do when it really happens!

Are you sure the brakes weren't applied and the tire scrubbed to death by an over-anxious long landing?

Unlikely, I know, but a possibility.

Are you sure the brakes weren't applied and the tire scrubbed to death by an over-anxious long landing?

Unlikely, I know, but a possibility.

I'm not making judgements on the landing. If anything, I would suspect the brakes being stomped on for far too long. But, it was only that one tire, the left main looked almost new.

I'm not making judgements on the landing. If anything, I would suspect the brakes being stomped on for far too long. But, it was only that one tire, the left main looked almost new.

Flight School/ Rental tires get trashed, fast.

Every flight school/rental I've ever flown was shod with marginal tires.

Couple a sideways landing with lots of brake and even a M&S truck tire would blow.

I've had instructors ask me about my shoes before. I tend to wear pretty lightweight shoes because my foot is so big. If I wear anything too heavy, I can't work the rudder without accidentally mashing the brakes because the stiff shoe. Or in the case of the Super Cub, I couldn't get full range of motion from the pedals with a heavy shoe.

I've had instructors ask me about my shoes before. I tend to wear pretty lightweight shoes because my foot is so big. If I wear anything too heavy, I can't work the rudder without accidentally mashing the brakes because the stiff shoe. Or in the case of the Super Cub, I couldn't get full range of motion from the pedals with a heavy shoe.

I've had the spoiled son of a rich daddy show up for a BFR with a Malibu...wearing flip-flops. We didn't go flying that day. A wide old bush pilot once told me that you should dress as though you might have to walk home.

Bob Gardner

I've had the spoiled son of a rich daddy show up for a BFR with a Malibu...wearing flip-flops. We didn't go flying that day. A wide old bush pilot once told me that you should dress as though you might have to walk home.

Bob Gardner

:rofl:

I wear sneakers in the Chief -- only way I can feel the rudder pedals well enough to know what's going on.

But flip-flops? :frown2:

I wear sneakers in the Chief -- only way I can feel the rudder pedals well enough to know what's going on.

Dunno how true this is...
http://groups.google.com/group/rec....?lnk=gst&q=air+america+shoes#5f04f693dd1843c1
There was an Air America pilot by the name of "Shower Shoes" Johnson,
on account of the fact that he always wore shower shoes when flying. He
was at survival school when the instructor looked at his shower shoes
and said, "Johnson, just how long do you think it would take you to
walk out of the jungle in those?" Johnson replied, "Last time, three
days. The time before that, six days."

Apparently the actual name was 'Art “shower shoes” Wilson' not Johnson. And he did wear shower shoes when flying...
http://www.air-america.org/Articles/Erickson_W.shtml
Another interesting character was Art “shower shoes” Wilson. He was a rough old timer who always flew his missions wearing shower shoes.

I never wear flip flops regardless of the situation, but I have flown barefoot, in sandals, in cowboy boots, in military issue boots, running shoes, and dressy casual. I also drive that way too.

Ha, interestingly enough I'm just the opposite in the Champ, my light shoes have this horse shoe desing in the heel section and the heel brakes fall into it. So it is usually the one plane that I can fly with my boots on.

Typically I'll wear tennis shoes but once I figure out what works best for a certain plane, I'll switch to that.

And I refuse to do long drives with shoes on. That's the first thing to come off when I get underway.

Really, we're discussing choice of shoes for flying??

And someone actually canceled a lesson because of the pilot's choice of shoes?

*rubs eyes*

Umm....ok, yeah.

Bob Gardner

Maybe that's because he was landing in the bush, and might not be able to get his plane started back up. I don't know of too many people taking Malibus into back country strips.

Really, we're discussing choice of shoes for flying??

And someone actually canceled a lesson because of the pilot's choice of shoes?

*rubs eyes*

Umm....ok, yeah.

I think it is interesting though to see people's choices. Different shoes for different planes because of the geometry of the plane.

Yup, you'd be amazed what happens when a low time pilot ends up in an unfamiliar situation. I took a 172 in to a shorter field, with a couple guys in it, and well, the end of the runway looked like it was coming up much quicker than it was. Managed to lock one up, and flat spot it. Mind you, we were now on an island, with no maintenance there. Lots of fun right there. The best learning happens from mistakes.

I fail to see what you proved by canceling the Malibu pilot's flight review, other than you didn't like him. That is completely ridiculous.

Wear what you're comfortable wearing. So long as it doesn't get in the way of you using the flight controls, I fail to see the problem. Kids aren't taught how to fix their cars when they break down on the side of the road, either. If you're going to complain about one, complain about the other first.

Apparently the actual name was 'Art “shower shoes” Wilson' not Johnson. And he did wear shower shoes when flying...
http://www.air-america.org/Articles/Erickson_W.shtml

Some people have iron feet (my son is one). He can run barefoot over gravel.

:eek:

I can hardly stand to be barefoot at the beach. No matter how many miles I run I've never, ever developed callous on my feet.

IIRC some states have laws prohibiting barefoot driving (NJ?)

Back