What are the things that you MUST absolutealy do at OSH?

purdue1014

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Brent
As a first time Airventurer, I will be spending 2.5 days at OSH and was wondering what do you guys think are the best things to do at Airventure?

Thanks for the input.....

Try not to drown... with only 2.5 days there is WAY too much to see and do, it's like drinking from a fire hose. I went for 1.5 last year and am taking a week vacation to do it right this year.

A lot of what you do will depend on what you like. Whatever you are instrested in aviation, there is something there for you to do.

Big thing... see the airshow in the best seat you can find. It beats all other airshows.

Tips:
- BRING and DRINK lots of water. Getting sick is bad use of limited time.
- Bring two diffrent pairs of comfortable shoes. No matter how comforable your shoes are your bound to develop a blister.

Missa

purdue1014 said:
As a first time Airventurer, I will be spending 2.5 days at OSH and was wondering what do you guys think are the best things to do at Airventure?

Make sure you go to a couple of Forums. There are lots to choose from. Rod Machado always has good one. He's practically an comedian who specializes in aviation humor.

... Bill

purdue1014 said:

Thanks for the input.....
You will be remiss if you do not visit the museum.

I second the vote for the airshow. It is a MUST SEE! One cool portion of the 'show' that a lot of people miss - and is becoming one of my favorites - is to keep your seat (or move CLOSER to the flight line) and watch all the mass arrivals and departures that occur immediately after the airshow. The airport is closed during the airshow and it's only open for a few hours afterwards, so a lot of people are trying to come-and-go during the short time before OSH closes for the evening. Find a good seat, get out the handheld Comm and listen to the in-air dancing. :)

While I do agree that the Museum is a sight definitely worth seeing, I think it is one of the things that you can put off for a later date. It is extremely busy during the week which means long waits for shuttle bus rides to-and-from the airport. If it is an option for you, you might wait and make a separate trip to OSH simply to see the museum and the airport without the thousands of airplanes parked there. If a return trip for the museum is out of the question, the lines for shuttle buses are bearable.

If you like warbirds - and who DOESN'T!? - take some time and take a leisurely stroll through the rows and rows and rows of warbirds. Make sure to take the time to read the 'history' behind the planes that have something displayed about them.

There is WAAY too much stuff to see at OSH for one trip. I've been 4 times now and I'm still finding things each year that I didn't know existed at the show. Go ahead and realize that there is NO way you can see it all in one trip, and take the time to see a few things very in-depth.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Have fun!

-Chris

If you are into Sea-planes then visit the Sea-plane base and say hi to Bill (Tdragger on the poa),Tell him Dave said to stop by.either way you will enjoy OSH I've been there twice and i'll be there Thursday,Friday,and posibly Sat.I ned to get my shirt from Bill. I'll be Camping around GA camping somewhere near 201RR ,thats a Mooney.SEE YOU THERE.
Dave G

While you are at the museum, take the tram over to Pioneer air park. That is worth the effort, in my opinion.

As a first time visitor, you will be overwhelmed. I suggest you buy a program and spend your first half hour planning your days. Otherwise, you'll run around like the proverbial headless chicken and waste far too much time walking between things.

I've been 10 of the last 11 years. I have it to where I can canvass the show in 3 days, but that's ignoring the museum, seaplane base and all forums and watching only bits and pieces of one air show.

CJones said:
While I do agree that the Museum is a sight definitely worth seeing, I think it is one of the things that you can put off for a later date. It is extremely busy during the week which means long waits for shuttle bus rides to-and-from the airport. If it is an option for you, you might wait and make a separate trip to OSH simply to see the museum and the airport without the thousands of airplanes parked there.

Amen. The museum is open all year round and there are actually quite a few other fly-in events if you're too far away to make the museum its own excuse for a trip. I know Orion will drive you from their FBO over to the museum and come pick you up again when you're done (outside of Airventure times, that is).

As far as what to see during only a couple of days... Wow. You're gonna have to pick and choose carefully. This show is HUGE. For instance, if you're in the market for a headset, this is a great place to try them all on. If you're interested in an LSA, go see the LSA mall.

Whatever else you do, take time to visit Aeroshell Square which is the home of some of the coolest stuff that's there during the week, and check out the airshow once. On the other day(s), go to the heavy-traffic areas like the Garmin booth during the airshow as it'll be easier to talk to a real person and play with the gadgets longer.

Last year I really enjoyed watching the ultralights fly. They had powered parachutes over there too. The announcer was actually really entertaining, himself a long time ultralight pilot. Im not an ultralight guy either, but I enjoyed that. I echo the airshow, it is not to be missed. Watching all the airplanes taking off and landing is almost as entertaining as the airshow itself, as Rick Durden says in the latest pilotcast, some of the best entertainment on the field is to get a 12 pack of beer and a chair and sit next to the runway and watch airplanes come and go. Some you will wish you were as good as that guy, some you will be amazed at.
The booths and everything are pretty interesting, I unfortunately never made it to the Warbirds section or the Fly Market, only there a day and a half last year.

Wow thanks guys, just the information I was looking for!!! FWIW I'll be there Friday morning to Sunday middayish. I'll be camping in Camp Schroller (sp?) Your recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Purdue

Back