What are the rules for banner overflight?

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
What are the rules for a banner pilot over an open-air assembly? Class Echo airspace. VFR. Not over water or coast, just over land.

What if the folks below object to the banner, e.g. imagine an outdoor corporate picnic where protesters to corporate policy want a banner to spoil the mood? Can they stop or further restrict the banner plane?

It depends on how powerful they are. Disney just went out and bought themselves a couple of TFRs over their theme parks, and a variety of sports franchises did the same.

If it's something you're interested in pursuing, have a look at INFORMATION FOR BANNER
TOW OPERATIONS

HA!...reminds me of a political event a few years ago I was working in a rural area where we were hosting an outdoor picnic/fundraiser. The protestors hired a local banner pilot to overfly and circle the event with a protest banner to generate news coverage.

Well, he was well within his legal right and limits except the county Sheriff just happened to be a supporter and be at the event. He looks up and says "hey, I think I know that plane"...pulls out his cell, calls the pilot and says "you probably don't wanna be doing that right about now" and rattled off all the officials that were there.

Pilot apparently is well known and respected in the community was was just a hired gun pulling a banner. He scrapped the flight and decided that ticking off people he knew wasn't worth the contract!

...moral of the story...make sure the pilot you hire is in plane not in his name and doesn't have ANY connections to the company!

Last edited:
See 91.311:
Sec. 91.311

Towing: Other than under Sec. 91.309.

No pilot of a civil aircraft may tow anything with that aircraft (other than under Sec. 91.309 [covering towing gliders - rbl]) except in accordance with the terms of a certificate of waiver issued by the Administrator.
So, it's whatever your waiver says. See the section of FAA Order 8900.1 on point for more details on how that waiver is obtained. You'll notice there is nothing in there about asking the people over whom the banner will be flown what they think about it. That would be a civil matter outside the FAA's jurisdiction.

Last edited:
Another sheriff upholding his oath. Murca

HA!...reminds me of a political event a few years ago I was working in a rural area where we were hosting an outdoor picnic/fundraiser. The protestors hired a local banner pilot to overfly and circle the event with a protest banner to generate news coverage.

Well, he was well within his legal right and limits except the county Sheriff just happened to be a supporter and be at the event. He looks up and says "hey, I think I know that plane"...pulls out his cell, calls the pilot and says "you probably don't wanna be doing that right about now" and rattled off all the officials that were there.

Pilot apparently is well known and respected in the community was was just a hired gun pulling a banner. He scrapped the flight and decided that ticking off people he knew wasn't worth the contract!

...moral of the story...make sure the pilot you hire is in plane not in his name and doesn't have ANY connections to the company!

Back