What are the consequences of not having ADS-B out?

kicktireslightfires

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kicktireslightfires
Is anyone aware of any written consequences or stories of someone flying without ADS-B out into airspace that requires it? I've read the rules but so far have heard about someone who flies all the time over the Gulf of Mexico without ADS-B and also know another pilot who contacted Approach before entering the Mode-C veil of a Class B and asked if they could head inside the Mode-C to land at a non towered airport under the Bravo without ADS-B out and Approach told them "of course, not a problem."

So I get the feeling that the rules are a bit loose? Not looking to start a debate here and there's no need to reply if your goal is to say "the rules are the rules; follow them at your own risk." I'm just asking if anyone knows of anyone who got pinned for not having ADS-B out and if anyone knows if there are established (written) consequences anywhere for not having ADS-B out in airspace that the FAA says requires it. Again, not looking to start a fight here. Just gently asking.

another pilot who contacted Approach before entering the Mode-C veil of a Class B and asked if they could head inside the Mode-C to land at a non towered airport under the Bravo without ADS-B out and Approach told them "of course, not a problem."
That's within the rules - ATC permission. The request is supposed to be made 1 hour in advance.

The FAA has stated it is their policy to consider it a violation if a pilot requests entry into rule airspace after they are airborne. The only exception would be an emergency. Have they followed up on this, I don't know, but even if a controller was to clear the aircraft into the rule airspace, that does not necessarily provide any protection from a violation.

This is a quote from the FAA ADAPT site:

ADS-B Deviation Authorization Preflight Tool

Pilots/operators using aircraft that do not meet ADS-B Out equipage or performance requirements may request an authorization to deviate from the rule to access ADS-B Out rule airspace. The FAA has developed the ADS-B Deviation Authorization Preflight Tool (ADAPT) to manage these authorization requests.

In order to be considered for an ADS-B deviation authorization with ADAPT, requests must meet the following criteria:

Aircraft must be equipped with an operational transponder and operational altitude encoder (e. g., Mode C)
Request submitted no more than 24 hours before flight
Request submitted no less than 1 hour before flight
Please note: The FAA will not issue in-flight authorizations to operators of non-equipped aircraft, nor will air traffic control (ATC) facilities accept requests for these types of authorizations by telephone.

I had my transponder go flaky in rule airspace once. Controllers never said a thing. I did get a nastygram from the FAA sometime later. It is possible that the folks discussed in this thread got their own nastygrams, perhaps somewhat more pointed than mine.

I am aware of a pilot being investigated by FAA for flying into ADSB-required airspace without it (was supposed to be installed, but was not). The airplane had been flying in & out of required airspace for months until one person at ATC noted it and reported it.

Back