What are my options?

Wx_Pilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mr. Elliott
Hello everyone,

Back when I was a foolish 18/19 year old, I made bad decisions that I would have to live with for the rest of my life. I was arrested for the following:

1. Minor in Possession of alcohol
2. DWI
3. Possession of marijuana.......\ (3 and 4) were from the same incident
4. possession of paraphernalia../
5. Tresspassing

I made mistakes. I paid my dues. I am now and have been for over a decade, a responsible member of society and a professional pilot.

Anyways, my lawyer at the time had these charges put into closed records. In Missouri, the Sunshine Act prevent non-law enforcement and non-judge public servants from being able to see these records. The Missouri state law even says that if anyone treats me as though these charges took place it is a Class A misdemeanor for them.

Then on 29JAN2004 I was arrested for excessive BAC (0.82), which remains in public record.

So, I got my first medical in 2004 and I consulted a traffic lawyer about what needed to be disclosed to who. I was told then to disclose only the 2004 excess BAC as the rest was put into closed records and nobody could have access to those.

Life went on.

I worked my way through the ranks of ratings and am now a Commercial Pilot (IFR, SEL, MEL) and Certified Flight Instructor (CFI, CFI-I, MEI-I) with 1500+hrs of flight time, 500+MEL, 230+ERJ145, and I run a business that does aerial photography. I have never failed an aviation written test. Never failed a checkride. Never violated an FAR. I also have not touched alcohol at all.

It has been 10.5yrs since my first medical with no further criminal convictions/charges/blemishes on my record.

However, it came to my attention that I had been misinformed about what should have been reported on my 8500-8 and 8710-1 forms this entire time.

I contacted an aviation attorney to weigh my options in order to proceed with disclosing these additional items from almost 16yrs ago without losing my medical or certificates.

I was advised to write a letter to the FAA disclosing the additional items and then give the FAA some time to respond. So I obliged. After 6 months of no response, I decided to consult with my regular flight physician of 10yrs. He called in a favor to OKC and we were told to contact the regional FSDO and go from there.

Turns out, they had my letter the entire time but "forgot" to respond. So when I contacted the local FSDO I explained that I was a punk at one point but grew up and I am now responsible and that I make good decisions and have overcome my past.

I was told that while this may be true, I can not prove this to the FAA. They spoke with the regional Fed Air Surg. and I was told a HIMS eval was in order.

I called the FAA again today and threw myself at their feet saying "I am at the mercy of the FAA at this point". They told me that if I wanted to continue flying I would comply with the HIMS eval. I told them there is no way I can afford that....I went on a rant about how I despise drunkards (I have had to family members and one close friend killed by drunk drivers and have 0 tolerance, sympathy, or remorse for them, their actions, or their consequences) and that I have not had a drop of alcohol in over 10 years. I do not drink anymore. Period.

They told me that maybe, just maybe, the FAS would allow me to show letters of reference from people that can attest to my abstinence for the last two years and that maybe I could go through a substance abuse evaluation rather than HIMS.

When I stupidly got the 2004 e.BAC, I did attended SATOP (Substance Abuse Traffic Offenders Program) and then had to submit to UA's for the next two years during probation.

What are my options?

I hear Dr. Bruce is the man on here?

Any good, professional, experience advise would be much appreciated. I know a lot of you will have your own opinions but I would prefer to keep this to factual options and/or resolutions.

Thanks for any and all responses.

Respectfully,
Caleb

Last edited:
First step Is to get some advice from Dr. Bruce. Advice from this board ,won't help much.

First step Is to get some advice from Dr. Bruce. Advice from this board ,won't help much.

As a matter of fact, this board may be the last place to get advice from. Get in touch with Dr. Bruce whatever it takes, pay him whatever it costs and lastly, do not lie to him in the least either by commission or omission. If it can get done, he can do it. If he can't, no one can.

And for anyone else in the same boat or will be in the future, a traffic lawyer knows nothing about aviation law. Advice from a traffic lawyer may even be a contrary to what an aviation lawyer recommends.

Well, I went through my aviation records and am able to show/prove my sobriety via DOT UA tests (drug/alcohol) for the last decade. I have more proof that shows, without a reasonable doubt, that I have been sober and clean for ten+ years. This is more than what they can show to prove I have not been sober. Furthermore, I have several letters of reference from high ranking officials including a retired major of the marines that is now an exec at a major helicopter company, along with several others around my area.

What say you now?

BTW, I have contacted Dr. Bruce but unfortunately, I do not have the funding NIR silver spoons to proceed as needed.

Well, I went through my aviation records and am able to show/prove my sobriety via DOT UA tests (drug/alcohol) for the last decade. I have more proof that shows, without a reasonable doubt, that I have been sober and clean for ten+ years. This is more than what they can show to prove I have not been sober.

They told me that if I wanted to continue flying I would comply with the HIMS eval. I told them there is no way I can afford that...

They told me that maybe, just maybe, the FAS would allow me to show letters of reference from people that can attest to my abstinence for the last two years and that maybe I could go through a substance abuse evaluation rather than HIMS.

You misunderstand your current status.

The FAA does not have to prove anything. You are in the position of being "guilty until proven innocent." To fight that you must follow the FAA protocols. Doc Bruce is the best person we know to do that, although there are other docs out there who can. Your letters and records are probably worthless without a professional substance abuse eval of some kind.

....Have contacted Dr. Bruce but unfortunately, I do not have the funding NIR silver spoons to proceed as needed.

That is unfortunate. With your entire flying future at stake, you have no way to raise the necessary, rather comparatively small amount (measured over a lifetime of earnings) to achieve securing your career.

You could try to fight this using a "traffic lawyer" or some other shyster who has no idea about FAA Aeromedical, but that is likely to be pouring money down a rat hole.

Probably time to give up on aviation and try something else. Sorry.

Last edited:
Time to give up? I hate meek people and quitters.

Talk to Bruce, beg borrow or barter, explain you lack of money and see if he can lead you down a path where you can tow some of the line too.

Hi guy, well I did have to cough up about three grand for an eval. It did hurt the wallet for a bit. But, if this is important to you, go through with the request. Sell a bunch of crap to relieve some financial burden. It would most likely be a one and done though I would think. My flight experience is very minimal right now, and I had to have an eval for my third class. It sucked, it added great cost to my training, but it will be behind you should you choose to comply. Best of luck

Hello everyone,

Back when I was a foolish 18/19 year old, I made bad decisions that I would have to live with for the rest of my life. I was arrested for the following:

1. Minor in Possession of alcohol
2. DWI
3. Possession of marijuana.......\ (3 and 4) were from the same incident
4. possession of paraphernalia../
5. Tresspassing

I made mistakes. I paid my dues. I am now and have been for over a decade, a responsible member of society and a professional pilot.

Anyways, my lawyer at the time had these charges put into closed records. In Missouri, the Sunshine Act prevent non-law enforcement and non-judge public servants from being able to see these records. The Missouri state law even says that if anyone treats me as though these charges took place it is a Class A misdemeanor for them.

Then on 29JAN2004 I was arrested for excessive BAC (0.82), which remains in public record.

So, I got my first medical in 2004 and I consulted a traffic lawyer about what needed to be disclosed to who. I was told then to disclose only the 2004 excess BAC as the rest was put into closed records and nobody could have access to those.

Life went on.

I worked my way through the ranks of ratings and am now a Commercial Pilot (IFR, SEL, MEL) and Certified Flight Instructor (CFI, CFI-I, MEI-I) with 1500+hrs of flight time, 500+MEL, 230+ERJ145, and I run a business that does aerial photography. I have never failed an aviation written test. Never failed a checkride. Never violated an FAR. I also have not touched alcohol at all.

It has been 10.5yrs since my first medical with no further criminal convictions/charges/blemishes on my record.

However, it came to my attention that I had been misinformed about what should have been reported on my 8500-8 and 8710-1 forms this entire time.

I contacted an aviation attorney to weigh my options in order to proceed with disclosing these additional items from almost 16yrs ago without losing my medical or certificates.

I was advised to write a letter to the FAA disclosing the additional items and then give the FAA some time to respond. So I obliged. After 6 months of no response, I decided to consult with my regular flight physician of 10yrs. He called in a favor to OKC and we were told to contact the regional FSDO and go from there.

Turns out, they had my letter the entire time but "forgot" to respond. So when I contacted the local FSDO I explained that I was a punk at one point but grew up and I am now responsible and that I make good decisions and have overcome my past.

I was told that while this may be true, I can not prove this to the FAA. They spoke with the regional Fed Air Surg. and I was told a HIMS eval was in order.

I called the FAA again today and threw myself at their feet saying "I am at the mercy of the FAA at this point". They told me that if I wanted to continue flying I would comply with the HIMS eval. I told them there is no way I can afford that....I went on a rant about how I despise drunkards (I have had to family members and one close friend killed by drunk drivers and have 0 tolerance, sympathy, or remorse for them, their actions, or their consequences) and that I have not had a drop of alcohol in over 10 years. I do not drink anymore. Period.

When I stupidly got the 2004 e.BAC, I did attended SATOP (Substance Abuse Traffic Offenders Program) and then had to submit to UA's for the next two years during probation.

What are my options?

I hear Dr. Bruce is the man on here?

Any good, professional, experience advise would be much appreciated. I know a lot of you will have your own opinions but I would prefer to keep this to factual options and/or resolutions.

Thanks for any and all responses.

Respectfully,
Caleb

Your first mistake was listening to a lawyer who knew not what he was talking about. The lawyer should have been the one to present your situation to FAA, without revealing your identity until a satisfactory settlement was reached.

Unless FAA accepts the alternate evidence of sobriety, your only options at this point are to either cough up (or borrow) the coin for the HIMS evaluation, or to stop flying.

Rich

Find the money to pay Dr Bruce. At a minimum post annon. on the red board to get his advlce.

As far as the FAA is concerned you have 3 alcohol and one drug violations. You have received very bad advice and followed it. You can not afford any more mistakes in handling this if you wish to continue to fly.

At a minimum post annon. on the red board to get his advice.

I'm not so sure this would be the best idea. Bruce doesn't demonstrate much online patience with cases like this since he cannot tell if the unreg post is for real or someone is trying to troll him. So starting off this way may shut the door for good if the OP starts off on the wrong foot.

The best plan is as others have said. Get off the forums, contact Bruce directly, be completely honest and humble, and follow his directives completely with little question. Be willing to pay his fee for his guidance. Be ready for blunt advice. But if you want to find out the best and most efficient way to stabilize your situation, Bruce is the best choice.

OP did in fact contact Doc Bruce. He mentioned that in post 6. Bruce apparently told him that he has to do the HIMS thing, which OP says he can't afford.

At this point, I fear that a visit to a bank or credit union to beg a loan is going to be OP's only hope if he wants to keep flying, unless he's so valuable to his FBO / flight school that they're willing to advance him the coin. Either that or find out from FAA exactly how many people will have to vouch for his sobriety to persuade them that he's put the booze and drugs behind him.

Rich

Time to give up? I hate meek people and quitters.

Well, I pretty much agree. If it was me and I did all those stupid things and had over ten years of good sober behavior behind me and good people willing to say so, I think I would beg, borrow, or talk to a guy named Vito and borrow whatever it took to get this straightened out.

The OP does not appear to be willing to go to that length. Hence my advice to look for a career change.

Last edited:
Boy you got awful advice, you should have just let sleeping dogs lie. Highly unlikely it ever would have been discovered.

Boy you got awful advice, you should have just let sleeping dogs lie. Highly unlikely it ever would have been discovered.
Notice that this even worse advice is anonymous. I wouldn't put much weight on a suggestion by someone afraid to put his/her name to it.

Notice that this even worse advice is anonymous. I wouldn't put much weight on a suggestion by someone afraid to put his/her name to it.

Sorry but it is simple fact. The record was sealed and never would have been discovered. On a side note how the heck did the op have a BAC of .82, most people are dead long before they get that high.

What say you now?

BTW, I have contacted Dr. Bruce but unfortunately, I do not have the funding NIR silver spoons to proceed as needed.

Go back to Dr. Chien...leave NOTHING out and get a second job to pay for this process...

The .82 is crazy...I assume you meant .082...Yes/No?

If you blew a .82 and lived you are toast...

Sorry but it is simple fact. The record was sealed and never would have been discovered. On a side note how the heck did the op have a BAC of .82, most people are dead long before they get that high.
Keep on believing that if you choose, but please don't suggest that people lie to the FAA unless you are willing to take personal responsibility for the consequences of that advice -- starting with signing your name to that advice.

I have never been a quitter. Ever. My entire life people told me I would never be an airline pilot. I loved proving them wrong. Anything is possible. You just have to want it and not be afraid to go get it.

I did mean 0.082....I just have big thumbs for the galaxy s5. Ha.

I will do as needed, including an impromptu meeting with the fed air surgeon.....(who just accepted my friend request on Feb ;) ).

Humility and honesty are always the best policy. Once this is done and over with it will quickly become a distant memory.

As for closed records, yeah...they are wide open for government agencies, whether or not the laws say it or not. I really appreciate everyone's input. I will keep you all posted as this miserable trail is blazed.

I have never been a quitter. Ever. My entire life people told me I would never be an airline pilot. I loved proving them wrong. Anything is possible. You just have to want it and not be afraid to go get it.

I did mean 0.082....I just have big thumbs for the galaxy s5. Ha.

I will do as needed, including an impromptu meeting with the fed air surgeon.....(who just accepted my friend request on Feb ;) ).

Humility and honesty are always the best policy. Once this is done and over with it will quickly become a distant memory.

As for closed records, yeah...they are wide open for government agencies, whether or not the laws say it or not. I really appreciate everyone's input. I will keep you all posted as this miserable trail is blazed.

I don't know whether the FB friending means anything, but your communication with FAA on the whole seems to indicate that they're mainly concerned with your sobriety, not the fact that you withheld information. So what you're really hoping for is some way to prove that you're sober short of the full-blown and expensive HIMS protocol.

That is something that FAA is able to do, if they're inclined to do so. They can decide to accept anything from a few letters attesting to your sobriety, to the full-blown HIMS protocol, to anything in between. To that end, your "humility and honesty" approach is probably the best way to go at this point. You really don't have a legal leg to stand on now that your lawyer has botched the job.

Frankly, I doubt that your situation is all that unusual. I suspect that FAA understands how easy a mistake like yours is to make. When a lawyer and a judge tell someone that all record of an indiscretion has been sealed and that it need not be disclosed anymore, that seems pretty cut-and-dried. There's no little asterisk in that advice that says "*except to the FAA."

So I suspect that all the FAA cares about at this point is your sobriety, and how you present yourself is probably the most important evidence that you have to offer in your own favor.

Rich

Last edited:

.82 may be a typo for .082. Many people have no clue about the notation. I've had people who were quite lucid at .42 when I worked in the ER though I've seen some dead at .20.

However, the underlying truth that LYING on the medical and not making the mandatory disclosures to FAA security *IS* going to bite you. "SEALED" doesn't mean squat when it comes to the FAA. That only hides your records from the general public.

This story is bizarre. How is .082 an excessive BAC? Was it because you were driving? Was it public intox? There has to be more to the story. If you have 2 DUIs then there is no way to avoid a full HIMS evaluation. This is your career take a loan/do what it takes. In Houston you can get the whole thing done for about 3200 from guys named glass and tarbox. Maybe, just maybe if you can get a bunch of letters attesting to your sobriety, liver enzyme testing, etc you can skate by with just a SAP. Don't flush your career over bad legal advice/mistakes that you have corrected.

STATUS UPDATE:

After volunteering all of my information to the FAA, my medical application was referred to the FAA Headquarters in OKC. The regional FS was beyond awesome to work with, as he was extremely informative and knowledgeable. I received my FAA final denial letter that described the next steps. I contacted a local HIMS/AME and addictionologist and went from there. The Dr. stated that I have had good recovery and agreed to be my HIMS sponsor.

My HIMS evaluation and review then had to be sent back to the local FSDO where it was then forwarded to FAA headquarters in OKC. Another conversation with the regional flight surgeon was unexpected as my character was spoken very highly of for being absolutely transparent and forthcoming with the FAA. He applauded my integrity and wished me well after informing me that he recommended to the FAA hq that I should be issued my medical.

12/31/2014 my First class (special issuance) medical was received in the mail. Now the fun part begins. I now have to comply with the SI requirements: 10 EtG/EtS UA test within 12mos, then at least one EtG/EtS UA every 6mos for 12mos. Face to face appointment with my HIMS/AME once every 6mos. My first class is good for an entire year and can be reissued by my HIMS/AME at the end of the current 1st SI expiration.

Total cost for everything at this point: $520 (HIMS eval and regular 1st class medical fee).

For the next person in line that has situations or questions regarding DWI/DUI/Drug related questions or concerns, this post update is for you.

You WILL have to jump through hoops for the FAA. They want safe skies. If you want to fly in those skies, you WILL prove to the FAA that you are a safe and responsible pilot by jumping through said hoops.

1. BE HONEST
2. Be forthcoming and transparent with the AME and FAA.
3. BE HONEST.
4. Be respectful.
6. Tell them everything they WANT to know. Not what you think they need to know. Tell them everything!
5. When it is all done, contact the FAA once more and tell them thank you for their help.

Hope this helps everyone/someone/anyone out.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your outcome and guidance. I have every confidence that you'll clear the upcoming hoops and maintain your medical.

Best wishes,

Here’s my experience with EtG testing. I’m almost at the end of two years of it, trying to get my 3rd class with a trip to rehab in my past.

You’ll be sent an email and called by the lab you are using. I was set up with LabCorp. They have locations all over the US, so if you travel a lot like I do, it’s not the biggest deal to find one locally. I do however try to locate the nearest one at my destination in case I get called. You’ll get called once a month, while they are supposed to be random I’ve noticed if there is a major party holiday I can almost guarantee I’ll get called somewhere around that date. Whether by design or just luck, I don’t know, but I always found it amusing. When you do the the notice, your notice will have an expiration date attached to it, you must go pee before that date. Mine usually expire 1pm 5 days after the original notice, so you’ll have plenty of time.

About LabCorp, you can make an appointment or just drop in. I’ve noticed that the quality of service varies widely by location, some are a complete zoo and take forever even with an appointment, some you walk in and out without an appointment. So try a few if the first one isn’t to your liking.

The EtG test itself, you pee in a cup up to a certain level. It’s not much and unless I just took a leak 5 minutes before I’ve never had a problem. That said I usually go in the mornings after my coffee. I’ve heard from my HIMS AME, that the tests are ultra sensitve and things like hand sanitizer and mouthwash will trigger it. I did some research into it and I’ve found a bunch of varying studies about it’s sensitivity and efficacy. Some stating it won’t pick up drinking a beer or two over the weekend on Monday, some stating even driving by a bar will trigger it (kidding). Personally, I just avoid anything with alcohol in it. Sanitizers, mouthwash, food. It’s not that big of a deal (well I do miss the burn of Listerine to help wake me up every morning).

I’ve read a few posts here and on the AOPA forums about what a crime it is that people should be subjugated to this, how unreliable these tests are, what an inconvience they are, how they effect your lifestyle, etc. etc. Nah, it’s not a big deal at all. In fact I look forward to getting my ‘ETOH negative' results every month. it’s a nice little attaboy.

Oh one last thing. Keep the receipt the lab gives you when you pee until get your negative result from the lab (you and your AME will get a copy of the results). I did have one specimen go missing between the drop off point and the lab.

Good luck!

Having read through this, I had never heard of HIMS before. Googling it came up with some intersting articles, many on the negative side. What kind of surprised me was along with alcohol and other abused substances were some fairly common (at least I have heard of them) anti-depressants.

That is kind of confusing. Are these drugs that are prescribed by a Dr, or are they illicit?

I know that there are a number of drugs that are on the FAA banned list, and I guess I always assumed that if you needed to be on one, you would talk to an AME and would do whatever was necessary to get you medical back. Why would someone go through HIMS?

Never mind. I just did a little more searching and I realized that anti-depressants are in a whole different category, and that the HIMS is the only way to get a medical. Seems kind of odd, but I guess it makes sense.

Thanks for the heads up, unregistered. I have done a lot of reading on these etg/ets tests. My only concern is, as of now, I eat a set diet meal plan every day as I am in the middle of a cutting diet (for fat loss) and bulking muscle. There isn't a problem with alcohol, as I haven't drank since my DWI in 2004. Its just not worth it.

That said, my diet currently includes protein bars (one a day) that contain sugar alcohol and bananas mixed in my protein shakes (once a day after a weight lifting exercise). The material and research I have read through suggests that I need to avoid these foods as they can/will trigger false positives. The research I have seen also suggests there are cutoff amounts that allow for small amounts of etg/ets in your urine (because your body makes it naturally. Too) and that no disciplinary or administrative actions can be executed solely based on the UA test results.

I would prefer that I keep eating these foods, since they are a part of my paid for meal plan with the only agenda being to lose weight and build muscle and as such, are needed to meet my macronutrients for each day. I keep a diet log that limits my total caloric intake everyday and, as I said before, do not touch alcohol at all.

Are there any suggestions as to what can be expected? Is there an opportunity to discuss this with a Dr. For confirmation? Do you get to speak with your Ame if you should by chance throw a false positive? Any advice and ideas would be great. Thanks, again everyone.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up, unregistered. I have done a lot of reading on these etg/ets tests. My only concern is, as of now, I eat a set diet meal plan every day as I am in the middle of a cutting diet (for fat loss) and bulking muscle. There isn't a problem with alcohol, as I haven't drank since my DWI in 2004. Its just not worth it.

That said, my diet currently includes protein bars (one a day) that contain sugar alcohol and bananas mixed in my protein shakes (once a day after a weight lifting exercise). The material and research I have read through suggests that I need to avoid these foods as they can/will trigger false positives. The research I have seen also suggests there are cutoff amounts that allow for small amounts of etg/ets in your urine (because your body makes it naturally. Too) and that no disciplinary or administrative actions can be executed solely based on the UA test results.

I would prefer that I keep eating these foods, since they are a part of my paid for meal plan with the only agenda being to lose weight and build muscle and as such, are needed to meet my macronutrients for each day. I keep a diet log that limits my total caloric intake everyday and, as I said before, do not touch alcohol at all.

Are there any suggestions as to what can be expected? Is there an opportunity to discuss this with a Dr. For confirmation? Do you get to speak with your Ame if you should by chance throw a false positive? Any advice and ideas would be great. Thanks, again everyone.

The concern of your diet triggering a false positive would be an excellent thing to discuss with your HIMS doc. Many of us here would just be speculating and guessing. While the HIMS doc will understand both the tests and how metabolizing the foods you've mentioned might show in those tests.

Plus since it is s/he who will be seeing the results and sending onto the FAA, discussing this issue with her/him will set up the appropriate expectation of the results for both of you.

I just want to say good job and god speed to the OP. Redemption isn't a popular concept with a few here, but you have sure earned it. Best of luck with your aviation career.

Sounds like a plan, Aggiemike88. I will contact him on Tuesday and go from there.

Alexb2000, I appreciate the words of encouragement. I have learned so much along this blazing trail of growing patience. It has taken almost a year since theis started until receipt of my so 1st class. Now its inward and upward!

Awesome job rebuilding your life from your "misspent youth". Very well done.

I'm the EtG poster above:

Regarding sugar alcohols, I've never had a problem with it. I chew on a ton of gum and nicotine gum both of which have sugar alcohols in them. YMMV, but yes check with your HIMS guy to double check.

Yes there is a threshold, LabCorp once sent me the raw results of one of my tests by mistake that had the threshold listed. I can't find it at the moment but it was a middle of the road value compared to some of the papers I read. So just from the little reading I've done and nothing else, I'd imagine the chances of a false positive are low.

Lastly I've had no issues discussing my concerns with my HIMS guy, even though in the back of my head I'm constantly thinking I wonder if he thinks I'm trying to hack the test? Open and honest is the best policy as always.

First log in in 13 months. Though I'd leave what I can- but I see that all the same problems are still here at good ol' POA. User #5 signing off again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back