what are good ways to prepare and study for oral exam and check ride for PPL

scarybus320

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
scarybus320
as title said... i have two months of time for myself for this, and need some advice for the oral and the check ride.

i have been told by reading the oral exam guide and he will guide me through and prepare me for the check ride during my x-country training.

King Schools has a very good DVD on a mock checkride. I used one for both my PPL and also their instrument mock checkride for my IA, and they were very helpful.

And the obvious: know the PTS.

F the King prep vids. That goes for every other 'prep' vid. Just read the damn PTS. That said, conquer the anxiety. The checkride is not as scary as you think.

For the IR, I found helpful to blow up by 400% the approach plates and tack them to the wall. This allowed me to study every. little. thing.

Maybe do the same for every manuever on the PP PTS.

The single best method for preparing for the practical test is a good instructor who can put you through a simulated practical test that accurately reflects how the real one will be conducted.

I used King Schools DVD for written and got 92 on it due to my stupidity. Missed 2 easy questions. In preparation for oral, I watched these DVDs again.

There's also a book, Private Oral Exam Guide, by Michael D. Hayes. I picked it up at Sporty's , but it's published by ASA. Every day for the last week I had my girlfriend turn to random page and ask me a question, for 30 minutes. Last time when I met my CFI, he circled questions that my particular DPE likes to ask.

For practical, your CFI can run you through a mock checkride. This is where I am right now. Did one last Saturday.

CFI can probably clue you in about the DPE. For example, DPE I am using for my checkride is known to use oral to determine if an applicant is going to be a pilot. From what I was told, he likes to ask few harder questions right away. Quick, correct and confident answers will ease him up. He will ask a series of questions after that, but he would already know what you made of.

While there's a lot of good material in those "Oral Prep" books, the FAA guidance on practical tests no longer calls for those simple Q&A methods, but rather goes for "situationally based testing." For example, instead of asking you what the VFR weather mins are in Class E airspace, the examiner may ask you whether or not today's weather is good enough to make your planned XC flight under VFR, and how you came to that determination. This will test, in a more realistic manner, not only your rote knowledge of 91.155, but also your ability to apply that knowledge to a practical situation, not to mention your ability to read and interpret all the available weather data, as well as determining from the sectional what airspace you'll be in so you know which paragraph of 91.155 applies along each part of your route. Those old-style Q&A books can't prepare you for that -- only a good instructor familiar with the concept of situationally based testing can.

Ron,

This is actually what I gathered from the King Schools DVDs. There's a video on mock oral and checkride, and it was somewhere in between situationally based and Q&A. And my CFI asked me questions more on a current situation. But I felt that the Q&A sessions that I had with my girlfriend, helped me out a lot.

I got a CD set on the oral portion of the checkride. It was made by ASA. I put them in the CD changer in my car and let them run over and over in order. I drive about 20 miles one way to work and 35 one way to the airport. Whenever I was in the car I was listening to them.

Do that and fly your butt off every chance you get. Perfect your flying precision for steep turns, turns around a point, s-turns, etc and get as much experience with all the different type landings. Track a VOR. Practice slow flight. Just get stick time.

Also, make sure you're set up to print a weather briefing and plan your cross country. Be familiar with every aspect of it because who knows what details he will ask about it.

Best of luck,

Know the information in The Airplane Flying Handbook, the FARs and be ready to complete the tasks listed in the PTS within the listed standards. That's all there is to it.
In order to complete all those tasks satisfactorily, you need knowledge of a lot more material than the AFH and FAR's. Throw in the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, the Aeronautical Information Manual, the Aviation Weather and Aviation Weather Services AC's, and your aircraft's POH/AFM, and you're more in the ballpark.

Everybody has given you great advice already but I'll also just throw out there that you should know the plane you are using for the check ride and know its systems well. My DPE asked about carburetor icing, which I knew about but then followed up by asking if the plane we were going to fly in was susceptible to carborater icing and I said not as much since the engine is fuel injected. Thankfully I looked that up otherwise that could have been game over right there.

I can't speak for your examiner, but here, you'd best know the "Special Emphasis Items" down cold in the Practical Test Standards.

You should also be prepared to explain every symbol and marking on a VFR sectional without looking at the legend.

Ron,

This is actually what I gathered from the King Schools DVDs. There's a video on mock oral and checkride, and it was somewhere in between situationally based and Q&A. And my CFI asked me questions more on a current situation. But I felt that the Q&A sessions that I had with my girlfriend, helped me out a lot.

Awesome girlfriend. And I also used the Kings checkride videos and their "full private pilot package"

Everybody has given you great advice already but I'll also just throw out there that you should know the plane you are using for the check ride and know its systems well. My DPE asked about carburetor icing, which I knew about but then followed up by asking if the plane we were going to fly in was susceptible to carborater icing and I said not at all since the engine is fuel injected. Thankfully I looked that up otherwise that could have been game over right there.
FIFY :D

Awesome girlfriend. And I also used the Kings checkride videos and their "full private pilot package"

If you used The King check ride video, you should check out ScottM's profile picture in the member section. In a little brush with greatness, he has a picture next to the King's Skyhawk N359ES. Little John and Martha trivia there!

thanks for all the feed back, i will have a pilot friend to help me on this and ask me random questions, also to have my instructor do checkride practice during my x-country flights til the check ride day comes. i have sporty and king's video but have not really watch yet, as i prefer more feed back from everyone here, since everyone had different examiners and i can gather more info about it. i am hoping to get log all my x-country hours, 3hrs of instrument and 3hrs of night time and solo time done by APRIL and ready for my check ride in MAY, since gas price is going up, I don't want to pay more for the fuel and get it done asap.

thanks for all the feed back, i will have a pilot friend to help me on this and ask me random questions,
As I said above, "random questions" is not how the checkride is supposed to work these days. The questions are supposed to be organized and relate to a scenario assigned by the examiner and supported by the actual weather and other data on the day of the test. Having someone just read random questions out of one of those oral test books will not prepare you for that.

also to have my instructor do checkride practice during my x-country flights til the check ride day comes.
There's a lot involved in checkride practice, and while XC flying is part of it, it's not all XC flying. All the maneuvers, landings, etc, need to be covered. I suppose you can do that on a cross country by dropping down to do some ground reference maneuvers en route, or stopping in the practice area for some slow flight and stalls before landing at home, but that interferes with some of the training objectives of the XC flights and seriously complicates the nav problem for the trainee. Much of the ground portion involves things which require all your attention, and can't be practiced on an XC flight unless you land somewhere, shut down, go inside, and talk over a table.

As I said above, "random questions" is not how the checkride is supposed to work these days. The questions are supposed to be organized and relate to a scenario assigned by the examiner and supported by the actual weather and other data on the day of the test. Having someone just read random questions out of one of those oral test books will not prepare you for that.

I think the scenario based question puts a premium on following Cap'n Levy's Checkride Advice #14. You can put yourself into a hole pretty quickly unless you resolve to shut your mouth.

Fortunately, I read your advice before my checkrides, and it works!

Wow...That was a pretty thorough grilling for a PPL.
If a DPE is going to put it on video in public (i.e., where his/her POI at the FSDO can review it), you can be sure s/he will make it absolutely complete. I didn't have an hour and a half to view it all, but at least the beginning is in the situationally-based style the FAA wants.

My examiner sat me down at a break room table in an FBO and it felt like a "chat". I followed him outside a few times as he took smoke breaks, and while outside the chat continued. Before I knew it, the oral exam was complete. I feel bad for the kid in the video above with the no-nonsense examiner!

My examiner sat me down at a break room table in an FBO and it felt like a "chat". I followed him outside a few times as he took smoke breaks, and while outside the chat continued. Before I knew it, the oral exam was complete.
That's a good examiner. In my book, the ability to put the applicant at ease is my #1 criterion of which examiners I want to use again.

I feel bad for the kid in the video above with the no-nonsense examiner!
Remember, this one was for the video which any FAA Inspector in the country might see, so it has to be a "textbook" demonstration. I'm sure the "kid in the video" was appropriately warned about this in advance and agreed to the process. I'm guessing that the usual fee was waived in return for that consideration.;)

It's usually a lot more relaxed than the part I watched.

Agreed. Both my PPL and especially my IR were learning experiences for me. After I exhausted my responses, the examiner gave me suggestions for the future, i.e. after going through the airplane logs, my IR examiner said that if he ever goes somewhere to rent a plane, he personally will go through the logbooks before he flies the plane. Otherwise, you are taking the word of an FBO or flight school that may or may not be doing the right thing.

He also suggested I do an IPC monthly (OK, a little much) to remain proficient, and get my commercial.

Thanks for that. I actually said "not as much" on the check ride day- Think I was affraid of making a difinitive statement on the actual day.

In order to complete all those tasks satisfactorily, you need knowledge of a lot more material than the AFH and FAR's. Throw in the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, the Aeronautical Information Manual, the Aviation Weather and Aviation Weather Services AC's, and your aircraft's POH/AFM, and you're more in the ballpark.

True, more free books from the same source; more than that as well, pretty much every test the FAA gives was written from that library. POH is a given. A lot of people spend a lot of money on books and videos for tests (I'm not talking about books to broaden airmanship) when the horses mouth is free. It's not written too awfully either.

Last edited:
So, how different is the video from real oral?
Mine was not so thorough, I guess, but the same basic points were covered, and my examiner was also pretty officious, as opposed to making it like a friendly chat. But he basically took the approach of presenting a topic, then gauging my knowledge based on the first response or two. He didn't really give me "exercises" to do. This examiner seems unwilling to leave any stone unturned, which from my own experience and what I've heard, is unusual... especially if the applicant comes prepared, starts off well, and doesn't ramble or seem clueless on a given topic. But as you can see, he's not trying to fail the applicant, he's just being thorough. And the applicant is up to it. this oral is a lot like a ground school session, really. Like a flight review, it's not a pass/fail thing so much as an opportunity to show what you know, patch up any weak spots, and maybe learn something new.

As for tips: I've done it twice (PPASEL and PPG), and both times I did pretty well. My "secrets" included flash cards and a lot of talking to myself, as if I were answering questions during the oral. A mock oral or two with an instructor, or anybody who can fake it with the FAR/AIM in front of them, is also very helpful.
I had been warned to answer only with "yes" or "no" whenever possible... after all that hard studying, it seemed outrageous to hide my abundance of knowledge, so I didn't heed the warning.... a bad idea. If the DE holds up a pen and keeps asking you if you know what it is until you answer "yes", you will understand. :D
Even if you are 100% right with everything you say, the oral will take a lot longer if you start lecturing. And if you are wrong... it will take even longer. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I had been warned to answer only with "yes" or "no" whenever possible... after all that hard studying, it seemed outrageous to hide my abundance of knowledge, so I didn't heed the warning.... a bad idea. If the DE holds up a pen and keeps asking you if you know what it is until you answer "yes", you will understand. :D
Even if you are 100% right with everything you say, the oral will take a lot longer if you start lecturing. And if you are wrong... it will take even longer. :rolleyes:

That's what my instructor is hammering into my head. When DPE asks a question, you answer THAT PARTICULAR QUESTION, with a short, confident answer. He told me that no matter how much I want to share my "infinite aviation knowledge", oral is a part where you STFU, and answer currently asked question. And without making a powerpoint presentations, and so on. Yes/No/brief statement is what they are looking for.

Besides, DPE that would be grilling me spent 60 years in aviation, so I am sure that he knows much more than me, and I am not there to surprise him with knowledge.

That's what my instructor is hammering into my head. When DPE asks a question, you answer THAT PARTICULAR QUESTION, with a short, confident answer. He told me that no matter how much I want to share my "infinite aviation knowledge", oral is a part where you STFU, and answer currently asked question. And without making a powerpoint presentations, and so on. Yes/No/brief statement is what they are looking for.

Besides, DPE that would be grilling me spent 60 years in aviation, so I am sure that he knows much more than me, and I am not there to surprise him with knowledge.
That should be interesting; you'll probably learn something.
All you have to teach him is that you are PIC material- that's it.

For my private ride in 2001 my CFI had notes from at least two oral exams the DPE had given his students in the past, so he knew what types of questions she likely would ask. We spent time going through them and the oral went very well.

For my IR last summer I got notes from a couple people who had just done their IR rides with that DPE and was prepared for the scenario based discussion that I would have with him. That included the flight he wanted me to plan in advance and the likely 'oops' that might happen during the discussed flight. Very helpful. And this DPE wasn't adverse to discussing points where we had different takes on the situation. The specific example was where he threw in a tail wind on the only runway at OLM with an ILS, and the cloud bases dictacted that to be the only approach not below minimums. I felt I wouldn't make the flight due to the tail wind and he felt it was doable. He's a former F-4 driver and I'm a bit more conservative. It was a good discussion. I passed the oral, so that didn't hurt me.

I've also viewed the King courses for both rides. The current one for the IR is situational and I thought represented what I experienced reasonable well. Different folks respond to different teaching techniques differently. I like to have a multiple of approaches as I'm more likely to retain something that way. It's like the different ways of planning the entry into a hold that people teach. Rod Machado's technique in his Intrument Pilot Survival Guide visualizing the entry on the DG works best for me. Others may like the computer Sporty's sells (no, I don't have one). To each his own.

Best of luck with your private ride. Review Ron Levy's advice and you'll do well. His first rule of Italian driving was in my head on final on my IR re-ride and it kept me smiling all the way to tying the plane down.

Also check out the YouTube video of a pp oral exam. Its like 1.5 hr long but well worth it. I passed mine a few days ago and it was much easier than that YouTube video.

Back