What airshow acts should i excited for?

jdennis1989

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jdennis1989
Last time I went to Oshkosh was about 10 years ago and still a kid. Back then I was interested in the airshows more than the forums and shops. I remember being absolutely amazed by the Franklin families act(I think they were called the Masters of Disaster back then instead of Franklin's flying circus) This year I will be making a very long and overdue return to Oshkosh, but as a student pilot. I'm looking forward to the forums and hopefully learning some neat things. Now since they have banned Kyle Franklin from performing in Dracula this year(the only real airshow person I follow because of great child hood memories), who should I be excited to see perform? Or more so, what act do I not want to miss.

Last time I went to Oshkosh was about 10 years ago and still a kid. Back then I was interested in the airshows more than the forums and shops. I remember being absolutely amazed by the Franklin families act(I think they were called the Masters of Disaster back then instead of Franklin's flying circus) This year I will be making a very long and overdue return to Oshkosh, but as a student pilot. I'm looking forward to the forums and hopefully learning some neat things. Now since they have banned Kyle Franklin from performing in Dracula this year(the only real airshow person I follow because of great child hood memories), who should I be excited to see perform? Or more so, what act do I not want to miss.

I always enjoy John Mohr in the Stearman, Julie Clark in her T-34, Matt Younkin in the Beech 18, and the Aeroshell team. I am very unenthusiastic about watching multiple high performance aerobatic aircraft do an endless series of gyroscopic maneuvers.

Last edited:
Micro jet would be cool? Watched it many times in the 80's and 90's. Also, Art Nall is bringing his Harrier back. Outside of that stuff you have the usual piston aerobatic performers.

I liked that guy in the Red & white Beechcraft Bonanza that was there last year.

yea John Mohr was the only one I ever paid any attention to when I was there many years ago.

Why did they ban Kyle's act?

They never really came out and said, but I believe they didn't feel comfortable about his new act since he has only had a few months to fly Dracula(his new plane). He says he will be there with the plane to meet fans and full fill his sponsorship obligations, but they won't let him fly this year. He said maybe next year.

I'm going to beat JeffDG into saying the Snowbirds. I'm not even Canadian...

Love the Snowbirds, but I've not seen them fly Oshkosh before. There was a jet team in Czech trainers who were really good though.

Last year was my first year at Osh. I like the guy who did Bob Hoover's routine. Sadly he died in a crash after osh. I like the Jets but I'll tell you the one preformance that just captivated me was the Rimowa Junkers. I swear I thought that thing was gonig to fall out of the sky. Its slow flight capabilities were just astounding.

Love the Snowbirds, but I've not seen them fly Oshkosh before.
I guess I should have read that the thread is about Oshkosh...

I saw the Snowbirds a couple years ago in Airdrie which is just north of Calgary, Alberta.

I always enjoy John Mohr in the Stearman, Julie Clark in her T-34, Matt Younkin in the Beech 18, and the Aeroshell team.

John Mohr is one of the best. IMO, Julie Clark's flying is very mundane and something anyone with just a few aerobatic lessons could do just the same. But she's got a very deep-pocket sponsor, a cool looking airplane, and red, white, and blue smoke. I guess the airshow crowds like that. She's just not much of a "pilot's performer".

I am very unenthusiastic about watching multiple high performance aerobatic aircraft do an endless series of gyroscopic maneuvers.

Me too. For me, tumbles must be used sparingly, and with skill. Not many do that well. I get tired of a lot of the monoplane acts. Though I do appreciate the high level of skill is takes to fly the way guys like Rob Holland, Matt Chapman, and Mike Goulian do. I wouldn't lump these guys in with the average boring monoplane act who does little more than endless tumbles and snaps, with little showmanship or precision.

I always enjoy John Mohr in the Stearman, Julie Clark in her T-34, Matt Younkin in the Beech 18, and the Aeroshell team. I am very unenthusiastic about watching multiple high performance aerobatic aircraft do an endless series of gyroscopic maneuvers.
Concur on all three! I will always stop what ever I'm doing and watch John Mohr.

Another thumbs up for John Mohr. I also really like the Jelly Belly Interstate Cadet. Kent Pietsch looks like he's having a hell of a lot of fun on just 50 hp. :)

Chuck Aaron and the Red Bull helicopter is there Wed, Thurs, and Fri; be sure to see him. he does things that helicopters shouldn't be able to do!

Unfortunately, Julie has been flying the exact same act for over 20 years, never changes. If a male pilot were flying the same act it wouldn't be a Barber award winner.

As a stock Stearman pilot doing IAC sportsman-level aerobatics, I'm still mystified at what John Mohr makes his Stearman do. I can either bring myself to admit that I'll never have his finesse with the plane, or that it's not a stock ship. I think I'm the loser on this one. I'm not even sure I could come close with a tricked out 450 Stearman.

Mike-

Unfortunately, Julie has been flying the exact same act for over 20 years, never changes. If a male pilot were flying the same act it wouldn't be a Barber award winner.

Not PC to say, but it's the truth. And a blonde at that. :stirpot: Hope nobody construes this as some gender bashing thing. Patty Wagstaff is a real talent. Yes, being a flashy woman in a male-dominated sport has certainly helped her attain her fame, but Patty has the flying skills to back it up. And there are lots of not-terribly-skilled-and-talented male airshow pilots out there...they're just not famous.

As a stock Stearman pilot doing IAC sportsman-level aerobatics, I'm still mystified at what John Mohr makes his Stearman do. I can either bring myself to admit that I'll never have his finesse with the plane, or that it's not a stock ship. I think I'm the loser on this one. I'm not even sure I could come close with a tricked out 450 Stearman.

IMO, if you consider just the maneuvers alone, John is simply displaying good basic aerobatic skills...good, but nothing fancy and nothing incredible. However...what I find most impressive about his flying is not so much the maneuvers themselves, but his ability to consistently extract max. performance from the Stearman while operating mostly right at the surface. To be able to do this consistently, safely, at each show, every time, for years on end, in varying density altitude conditions is what his skill and experience really brings to the table. But of course, he may have more Stearman aerobatic time than anyone. Amazing what that'll do for ya. :)

Regarding his airplane and the question of whether it's stock or not, I heard from one of the most reputable sources anywhere that his airplane with the R-670 is stock, but just happens to have a more rare version of the carb that runs a bit longer under negative G than others.

Last edited:
Whifferdill,

I've talked to John at a couple of Stearman gatherings, it's obvious that his performances are results of THOUSANDS of hours and 30 years in that very airplane. I put he and Sean Tucker in the same category as performers who would put on a stunning show in anything they flew.

I had the privilege of meeting Curtiss Pitts at a "survivors party" at the Ozark, AL Pitts Fly-In in 2002. He said all the high performance modifications in the world won't make up for burning 100LL and time in the seat.

So, by my calculation, I'll have to get humping to get that 10,000 hours of Stearman aerobatic time under my belt before John retires:wink2:

Mike-

Mike-

You're right, her act hasn't changed. That said, I only see her at Osh, and only every other year or so at that. So I am still entertained by what she does with an airplane that isn't custom built for aerobatics.

Back