What airplane...

Speed

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Speed
In Tuscon today we saw a strange looking airplane - wasn't able to get a picture but it's been there for some time so maybe some of you have seen it? It's a high wing twin with low set engines (minus the props) ahead of the wing, like off the landing gear. Somewhat smaller in size than a beech 18. Any ideas? I'll try to get a picture next week when I go through...

Speed said:
In Tuscon today we saw a strange looking airplane - wasn't able to get a picture but it's been there for some time so maybe some of you have seen it? It's a high wing twin with low set engines (minus the props) ahead of the wing, like off the landing gear. Somewhat smaller in size than a beech 18. Any ideas? I'll try to get a picture next week when I go through...

Well, you could be describing a Aero Commander, or maybe a Partenavia, most likely an old Commander that isn't worth fixing the ADs on if it's just been sitting there for awhile. Quite a few of those around.

edit: When you compare it to a Be 18 for size, does that in anyway imply it has conventional gear (tail dragger) and radial engines? Because if that is does (the Comanders are all nose gear on flat piston engines or turbines) then you may be looking at a Cessna T-50 "Bamboo Bomber".

Last edited:
Steve said:
Herr aerodynamicist was wanting a "clean" wing for ultra short field performance (never know when you might need to extract a despot from an unfriendly coup).

Of course it yields a clean wing, at the significant expense of pebbles from typical short fields and near sonic waterdroplet strikes on floats. But I guess if someone else is paying for parts & labor... ?

A DO28 Skyservant... that would be it. Thanks!

A Dornair;

Had the O540 Lycomings in it 250 per side. A good short field performer in its day.

John J

Back