What airplane is this?

jkgoblue

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John K.
So I was reading an older issue of Air and Space magazine and in the article on Camarillo airport there's a picture of a guys hanger (OMG, what a collection) and I see this odd looking twin that I've never seen before. Anyone know what it is?38f_dj2020_10_dsc_8019_live.jpg

There was one or still is for sale might be the same airplane. It’s on wingswap for like 45k

Well, you'd get twin time, but not complex or high performance twin time. Interesting bird for sure.

I got to fly one of those in 1979. A guy in my flying club was a center controller and couldn't get free time to fly. I was doing him a favor... Yeah, that's it!

No feathering props and very noisy. I wish I had one now, though...

What is that white taildragger parked next to it?

Looks like a RV-4? Definitely Vans.

Wikipedia claims it to have a 2000 foot single engine service ceiling.. that's, um.. wow

worst pos I ever owned I owned n9981y #25 1995 to 1999 . looks to be that 402 lancer in Texas however if I recall it is in Ky now. will check and get back to you .

worst pos I ever owned I owned n9981y #25 1995 to 1999 . looks to be that 402 lancer in Texas however if I recall it is in Ky now. will check and get back to you .
Yep, in Louisville, KY.

Well yeah. It is a draggy airframe and the props don’t feather.
Wikipedia claims it to have a 2000 foot single engine service ceiling.. that's, um.. wow
Probably higher than a Piper Apache?

The Piper Owners web site says an Apache had a 5,000 foot single engine service ceiling but the one I flew for my MEL rating I think was more like 500’.

Last edited:
The lancer 402 twin champ was one if not the only twin certified with a SINGLE engine sink rate . unfortunately the owner in KY went west last June at the age of 95 non aircraft related. Served as a pilot in the army air corps during the war . that one in Calf might be N9981Y .it probably was sold by his estate. if the op has any more info ?. N9981y was a very low time aircraft around 2500hrs airframe at the time I owned it and the BASKET of complete logs and paperwork that came with the aircraft indicated most of that tac time was acquired , most likely in changing its new home base from buyer to new buyer . my partners and I put around 30 hours just brining it from SW FL to LI NY. If memory is correct at the time of my ownership there were around 25 past owners,and around 10 or so fairly damaging events and off field landings. and each time it was resold there was a good distance involved. it was a aircraft that had to be flown every second and required almost 85% power all the time ,and you were just waiting for one or the engines to explode! {C0200s}. it however was one of the best RAMP beauties around, land somewhere and a large % of people who could walk would be all over it. I think now only 3 or 4 of the 25 built are actually flying or have the ability .a lot of them were lost after hard landings that that did not damage the 2 engines due to there location.The engines than ended up on Cessna 150s . and the airframe scraped. as a side note I now live a few houses down the street/taxiway from the person house, I bought it from some 25 years ago here in FL.

Back