What about this:

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
In my deliberations about whether or not to do the commercial or multi first, I never considered doing both.

A few questions:

1) Is this possible?

2) How much longer would it take? (I am already estimating 15-20 hours, and anyway, I need 25 with MEI before I can rent the Seneca.)

3) If I get the commercial in the multi, may I go for the CFI, or will I also need the commercial in the single, first?

Luke . . . use the force.

Note: the force may be found at 14 CFR part 61.

Last edited:
wangmyers said:
In my deliberations about whether or not to do the commercial or multi first, I never considered doing both.

A few questions:

1) Is this possible?

2) How much longer would it take? (I am already estimating 15-20 hours, and anyway, I need 25 with MEI before I can rent the Seneca.)

3) If I get the commercial in the multi, may I go for the CFI, or will I also need the commercial in the single, first?

No sweat, do it. You'll still need to go up and do the SEL manuvers in a single but you can just do the mop up in a 152, otherwise you'll be private SEL Comm MEL.

wangmyers said:

A few questions:

1) Is this possible?
Yes.

wangmyers said:
If you have a lot of time recently in Complex and are instrument current, you might be able to knock off Multi and instrument multi in 12 hours. Commercial in the multi would take about 5 hours. Then you have to go back and do the commercial maneuvers in a C172 - another 4 or 5 hours.

wangmyers said:

I think the checkride day to do all three in one day is too daunting. I'd be exhausted. My SE CFI initial took six hours. All six of 'em. You can get a CFI limited to multi but what' the use? Who but a guy with too much $$s and no sense is going to do ab initio in a multi- it'll take him 125 hours if he's lucky. And nobody will insure that guy.

I'm sorry. I meant that if eventually, a few months after getting multi comm, could I do the CFI, or would I need the comm in the single?

wangmyers said:
I'm sorry. I meant that if eventually, a few months after getting multi comm, could I do the CFI, or would I need the comm in the single?

You should do CFI in the Single. That's where the students are, they have a tough time getting insurance for de-novo PVT AMEL. Eventually do CFI-MEI as an add on.

bbchien said:
You should do CFI in the Single. That's where the students are, they have a tough time getting insurance for de-novo PVT AMEL. Eventually do CFI-MEI as an add on.

Wow, in re-reading even my last post, I realize that I'm still not being clear. What I meant to ask was, if I ended up with multi-comm, but still PPL for singles, would I be OK to get the CFI for teaching in single engines, or would I have to get the comm in singles first?

If I do multi private AND multi commercial on the same day, I am still private for single engine, but commercial for multi.

wangmyers said:
Wow, in re-reading even my last post, I realize that I'm still not being clear. What I meant to ask was, if I ended up with multi-comm, but still PPL for singles, would I be OK to get the CFI for teaching in single engines, or would I have to get the comm in singles first?

If I do multi private AND multi commercial on the same day, I am still private for single engine, but commercial for multi.

Oh. You have to have the commercial in the class of a/c in which you are going to teach. You could combine the comm ride (ASEL) with the CFI ride (ASEL) but that is a big day, too. I think I was a little dense, too...

Thanks. That's what I thought. (But I was at work, and didn't have the FARs in front of me. Wow, I'm lazy!)

wangmyers said:

Yes, but:

Skip the multi private. What you might consider is:

get Private, then IFR in single. Then start on your multi. Incorporate the multi-comm and the multi-IFR training at the same time. That way, when you do your multi checkride, you can skip the private portion of it all together and get you multi-comm-IFR all in one ride. And then, like the others said, you can do the single comm add-on in a 150 if you want. Doing the ride that way is not that much more involved than a private multi ride. Its been better than 10 years since I did my ride, but I can remember we did the basic multi 'stuff': Vmc,sim engine out, etc; a couple of comm manuvers: steep turns, steep turns with sim engine out, etc... some basic IFR stuff including a missed appch with both engines, and then a full approach with landing with sim engine out. DE was real big on making sure you knew your engine out stuff. (Ride was in a Twin Comanche)
The oral portion was about three-four hours, but not that difficult. Most of the IFR stuff you would already know, and the comm stuff was fairly simple. But you better know that twin inside out, being able to quote facts about it in your sleep. :)

I did it this way as it was the cheapest (and fastest) way for me to get my CFI. I kinda got sidetracked on that goal, and have yet to get my single comm!

Thanks, Dee. I am PPL now, and should be IR within a couple of months.

Ben, I think a key question you have to ask yourself is if you will use a multi? If not, you may have the rating but fly an insufficient amount to maintain competency. That was my main decisioning factor. I looked at the multi and thought it would be fun, (plus for some reason the non-flying public think you're a "better" pilot if you fly multis) but when I priced out my most common flights in multis vs. singles, it invariably cost substantially more. I came to the sad conclusion that I would get the rating and then not be able to afford to fly enough and would stagnate.

Just didn't make sense for me.

Thanks, Barry. I think that I would committ to flying at least 30 hours of multi per year, plus 50 hours in singles. (I currently fly about 100 hours per year). I understand your points.

Back