What about something like this??

Aztec Driver said:
What would some of the costs be to get this thing airworthy from the standpoint of paperwork?

What thing?

I'd hope it's real cheap..

No logs..

No airframe history..no engine history.........

Those type ads are always so exciting. 'Maybe no one else will bid and I will get a steal!'

I think you will probably have to whip it into shape for an inspection by the FSDO, they will probably go over it with a fine tooth comb to make sure it is in compliance with the type certificate etc, I think TD used to call it a conformity inspection. You will have nice shiny new logs.... which means the resale value will drop. I would be interested what time they allow you to put in the logs. Scary deal not knowing how old an airframe or component is.

I always regard these as being valuable primarily to A&Ps, or their immediate family and friends.

Interesting, though.

Aztec Driver said:
What would some of the costs be to get this thing airworthy from the standpoint of paperwork?
http://www.aso.com/aircraft/95394/

No Logs huh, well, you'll have an Annual inspection that will cover compliance with every AD written on that plane, so without knowing serial numbers, it's hard to say. Figure you're looking at at least $15,000 as the prop AD's will have to be done since there's no proof of time in service(maybe the prop shop will have a record if they put their stickers on the props), there's also the mags. As far as the Marshalls sale part goes, that's all cool, you are guaranteed a clear title and all liens are absolved so no tricks there.

And if there is an engine AD, may have to tear em down.
Oh, and be sure to pull all the weed out of the hidden spaces or the next time you cross the border with it.... (happened to a car owner in ElPaso this summer).

Let'sgoflying! said:
Oh, and be sure to pull all the weed out of the hidden spaces or the next time you cross the border with it.... (happened to a car owner in ElPaso this summer).
Now THERE'S a cynical thought ... "How many times do you think we can sell/confiscate/resell this airplane?"

gkainz said:
Now THERE'S a cynical thought ... "How many times do you think we can sell/confiscate/resell this airplane?"

Having personnally worked with the USMS, FBI, DEA... on these kind of seizure deals, I can assure you thay don't think that. I was at an auction once when I was looking to buy my twin, where there was a runout/worn out Seneca II that needed LOTS. No interior except for pilots seat, both engines and props were done in, commutator ring and brushes were missing, no logs, Kx 175B radios..., plane was worth max $20,000 at the time since you could buy a nice one with less than mid times for around $75,000. The plane finally sold to a winning bid of $78,000. I wondered if someone knew where a few keys of coke were still in the plane.

I wonder if the Twin Commanche with the coke in it is still outside the DEA hangar at LGB, or so the story went: The plane had been left there one night on an RON, apparently they didn't know who's ramp it was till later, and the DEA's been waiting for someone to come pick it up ever since. I looked at it when I was looking for a plane, nice clean turbo'd with counter rotators. Didn't see any dope, but they did just leave it on the ramp open, ready to fly away.

Henning said:
Having personnally worked with the USMS, FBI, DEA... on these kind of seizure deals, I can assure you thay don't think that.
I didn't think so, just forgot the smiley. It does remind me of the old joke where Billy Bob makes an anonymous phone call to the DEA to report that his neighbor Jed had a stash of coke in hidden in his woodpile. DEA raided the house, tore up the woodpile, including chopping up and splitting the wood in search of the coke. Finding nothing, they packed up and left. Jed calls up Billy Bob and told him how the DEA split all his firewood. Billy Bob says "Merry Christmas!"

Henning said:
Having personnally worked with the USMS, FBI, DEA... on these kind of seizure deals, I can assure you thay don't think that.

Didn't Dr. B have a story to the contrary? A video of an agent trying to plant something in his airplane?

Let'sgoflying! said:
Didn't Dr. B have a story to the contrary? A video of an agent trying to plant something in his airplane?
Yes, but that was a single agent in a single incident. How widespread or how often does that occur, who knows.

The issue here is if an agency engages in the practice. If I was busted for drugs in a plane I had bought which had been confiscated and sold because it carried drugs I think any good lawyer (okay, one skilled in his craft) would have a field day with the agencies that sold and made the subsequent bust. Entrapment and fraud are two things I can think of, there are undoubtedly other charges to be made. After the settlement I could upgrade to a stable of mustangs or a big jet.

Richard said:
Yes, but that was a single agent in a single incident. How widespread or how often does that occur, who knows.

The issue here is if an agency engages in the practice. If I was busted for drugs in a plane I had bought which had been confiscated and sold because it carried drugs I think any good lawyer (okay, one skilled in his craft) would have a field day with the agencies that sold and made the subsequent bust. Entrapment and fraud are two things I can think of, there are undoubtedly other charges to be made. After the settlement I could upgrade to a stable of mustangs or a big jet.

Oh, be forwarned, once a tail number is in the system it remains "under observation" for life. If you buy from these deals, change the tail #.

Henning said:
Oh, be forwarned, once a tail number is in the system it remains "under observation" for life. If you buy from these deals, change the tail #.
Under observation is not confiscation. In fact, their observation would be a great thing if the plane were confiscated. Did you ever see me even near the border or across the border or dealing with shady characters?

Richard said:
Under observation is not confiscation. In fact, their observation would be a great thing if the plane were confiscated. Did you ever see me even near the border or across the border or dealing with shady characters?
Richard, you trust our law enforcement agencies more than I do.

"Did you see me near the borders?"

"No, you must have snuck on by us. We'll just pull your upholstery apart just to make sure."

-Skip

Richard said:

If you're not doing anything illegal, no sweat. It's just that when you fly in from say the Bahamas, you will never get a "stamp through" and will always be delayed by a more thorough inspection than the typical perfunctory. On the other hand, I look shady enough that they strip search me anyway:rolleyes: . Like I said, no real problem, if you're legal, you're fine, just an hour later. Thing is many of these planes are reprocured for the same job," $40,000 a trip and a free airplane".

Making this aicraft legal with the paper work really isn't the difficult. You can purchase the aircraft records on CD-ROM from FAA aircraft records for $5.00. This will give you all the records on file and all the ownership registration history. This is the starting point. From there a complete indepth detail inspection is required to determine what is installed in the aircraft. You can purchase a copy of the original equipment list from the manufacture and compare your inspection results. Anything not on the equipment list can be added by FAA Form 337 your local A&P/IA can fill out.

You can track the engine data plate to the manufacture and do the same as above. In some cases the records come with the aircraft make sure and request them.

If you get the aircraft cheap it is worth it. I have accomplished this before with a drug aircraft money well spent.

Stache

Back