What a way to start training

When my 172 won't crank I get my jumper cables and boost it off. Then go flying.

11-02952.jpg
FBO had to jump the plane I was flying the last two times. They're still trying to troubleshoot the problem. Something tells me the battery is toast and won't take a charge.

Second training day...

Meet at FBO, check weather, ATIS and TAF. Everything OK. Radar looks fine. Walk out of the FBO and look to the east and I see thick bank of clouds moving west that look like rain to me. My experience as a boater gives me a pretty good perspective on coastal weather. I asked my instructor and he said it looks OK to him. I said it looked iffy to me but since he was more experienced with aircraft weather, I’d trust him.

We complete AC preflight (different AC than my first attempt) and get her fired up. I get to taxi and converse with the tower which went better than I thought. We get cleared to the runway and go to the run up area. Clouds are moving closer... by the time we finish checklist and run-up, it starts to rain. Before we can get to the threshold, the airport goes IFR... so I get more ground control/taxi practice going back to the ramp.

I’ll get into the air, eventually.

Hang in there!

I've been "that student" -- drove an hour for a first lesson in a taildragger (Champ), and spent 45 minutes trying and failing to get it started by hand-propping, eventually giving up and coming back a couple days later... "I'm sure it'll start this time," said the instructor. And it still didn't, on the second day. "What other planes have you got?" I asked.

I've also been "that instructor" -- spent the morning full of preparation for a first dual cross-country, including calling FSS and filing a flight plan ("high clouds, no precip, looks like good VFR all day!" said the briefer), taking wing covers off and all that hassle, and as my student's hand is on the key to start up, it starts snowing. Visibility drops, and cameras indicate that the snow is everywhere. "Let's go get a coffee and do some ground school," I say. The field goes IFR as we drive away...

Yes, you'll get into the air!!

Back