What a pile of...

astanley

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew Stanley
Actually, other than that paragraph I think the article was pretty much right on.

I don't know. The first part of the article seems to smack more of class envy. It's the wealthy, privileged class who are getting the private airplanes.

And, she seems to have been asleep at the switch amid the post-9/11 news of many companies buying into a fractional or building/increasing their own flight departments.

Most of these executives either buy or lease small planes, called single-engine pistons, with seating room equivalent to a family sedan and the ability to fly up to about 1,000 miles.
Anyone know of a single-engine plane with that much space and that kind of range??? Perhaps a Cessna Caravan? Oops, that's not a piston engine! A Ford Fiesta has more space than any single-engine piston aircraft I've been around.

The article implied airplane ownership by businesses was a new trend. I don't think they could be further from the truth. Perhaps it has received more press lately (thanks to the airlines) but I believe it isn't anything new. In fact, in the article itself, they interviewed several who have been flying for 10 years or more.
Not a new trend dear. It's just one you're paying more attention to.
Didn't NBAA recently celebrate an anniversary? 60 years does not a new trend make!

This ran in the Jacksonville paper today, along with a chart that shows hours flown going down, down, down, down for all of the previous years included in the chart, but inexplicably forecast to rise in a linear fashion for the next 10 years. Hello??? Did this not set off any bells?

I find it hard to believe that Phil Boyer said single-engine prices start around $400k. Mr. LSA? I don't think so. But, it's a much better article if planes seem too expensive for the common folk.

Back