What a long, long, long day.

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
I got to start the day off at the dentist's office. I was in need of a crown on one tooth, and a filling in another. The first 4 shots of Novocain didn't numb me up real well, so I got hit with another 2. I get out of the dentist's office and check the voice mail on my phone. Two waiting. They are both from the DPE about part two of my CFI ride, asking if I can do it today (Wednesday) instead of tomorrow. I said let me check to see if the Arrow is available, and will let him know. Of course it’s a bit hard to talk correctly because the Novocain hasn't worn off. The Arrow was available in Ann Arbor until 4:30 pm, so I can get it done.

I haul butt to Hastings to get to my plane. I top it off, and head on over to Ann Arbor to pick up the Arrow. As I am getting the paperwork for the Arrow, I tell them about a slight vibration I have felt when taking off and landing, so they will check it out for me while I am off to Cadillac for my check ride. As I am leveling off in the Arrow, I notice it is really loud in the cabin. Ah great, the door didn't latch all the way. Ah screw it; it is safe to fly, and the bottom half is latched. So I plod along and finally it is really annoying, luckily Alma is less than a mile off my course, so I land, double latch the door, and take back off. I get to Cadillac and the DE isn't there yet.

Meanwhile, my dad's plane is inbound from Charlotte, NC and we are trying to figure out a way to get the seller from Hastings to Cleveland. Whether it is on a one way from Grand Rapids or Lansing, a one-way car rental, or myself flying him to Cleveland.

The DE arrives and we do a short field take off on 7 with light and variable winds, head straight east do 1 set of 8s on pylons - one of, if not the best set I've had - and come back for a short field landing. In the past all my short fields have been "hit this spot on the runway" types. This one was a bit different - cross the numbers at 50' and get it down. And that was all that needed to be done.

There was a possibility that I would head to Hastings from Cadillac, pick up the seller, go to Ann Arbor, transfer to my plane and then head to Cleveland. Well, the seller was running late, and I wouldn't have been able to get the plane back to Ann Arbor by 4:30 if I picked him up in Hastings, since his arrival was to be around 3:00. Back to Ann Arbor it is. I drop off the Arrow, find that the strut seal needed to be replaced on the right main, and that's what was probably causing the vibration. While waiting for that I run into town with the courtesy car. I am right down on the University of Michigan campus and I notice in the rear window there's a Michigan State sticker. Nice. I can't find the sub shop I was looking for so I settle on McDonald's. I get 12R out of the shop, and head back to Hastings.

I check out my dad's plane, and then get asked if I can give a ride to the seller back to Cleveland. Yeah, I guess. So, I top off my plane, and we head off to CLE. I pick up VFR flight following from Lansing Approach; get handed off to Detroit Approach (CHICAGO - PAY ATTENTION!) who clears me through the Bravo at 5500 without me even asking. I then follow the Erie lakeshore to CLE and get handed off (VFR!! - CHICAGO TAKE NOTE) to Cleveland approach. I make my radio calls just as a new CFI would, and am told to expect 24L. I get vectored out over Erie for departures, and then get clearance to land behind a Chautauqua ERJ. I thought the taxiing was going to be a mess because 6/24C is closed, some taxiways are closed, but I'm given a left on Hotel, right on Lima, left on Lima Two, and I'm at I X Jet Center at about 9pm. Well, that was easy enough. First time landing at a Bravo, that's pretty easy.

I X Jet center has at least (I only saw) two large flat screen plasma TVs, a bunch of leather couches, and the sweetest reclining chairs I have ever sat in. It was like laying back in a leather hammock. I dropped off my passenger, relaxed for a bit in the chair, and then headed back out to the ramp. I asked the extremely nice lady at the desk how much I owed, and she quietly smiled and said, "You weren't here long enough to worry about it, you're all set." As Wayne Campbell would say - "Excellent."

Great, how many freaking frequencies are there for this place? 4 tower frequencies, two ground frequencies, ATIS arrival, ATIS departure, and a handful of approach and departure, clearance delivery, pre-taxi (whatever the heck that is) and yeah, a lot of them. So I call up clearance delivery, and it was like talking to a briefer from FSS - very informal. I give him a waypoint of PCW just so he can get me in the system like I was an IFR flight - and I verify I'm on point seven for ground. Ground gives me instructions to leave like I arrived, and turns me over to tower after I cross Kilo on Lima. Tower asks what I need for runway length, and I tell him not much, 2500 will be plenty. I am cleared for departure on 24L at Romeo, and am given take off clearance before I am even able to hold short at 24L. Excellent.

"12Romeo, I am not picking up your transponder - you should be squawking 4433."

"Clearance gave me 4633, squawking 4433."

"Ok, I've got you tagged, climb 4500, turn right 270, contact departure and have a great night."

Uneventful from there, I'm given a resume own navigation while still in the class B and I head off for home along the southern shore of Erie. Toledo approach takes the hand off, gives me a new squawk, and then cuts me loose as I head off towards 9D9. I call up Lansing approach when I was 10 SE of JXN, not because I wanted flight following however, that was really my secondary reason for calling them up.

"Lansing Approach Cherokee 2212R, 10 southeast Jackson, 4500, would like VFR flight following to Hastings and the score of the Tigers game if you have it."

"WILCO! Radar contact, squawk 4630."

Turns out the game was cancelled at that point, and him and I have a conversation about me not having to rush to get home to catch the bottom of the ninth, he laughs, and then comes back a few minutes later stating that he called FSS for me, and found out the game was possibly going to be played, and that I could get home and watch the whole thing. I inform him that I have to work at 8 and am not going to stay up and watch it. He laughs and after a few more minutes, I tell him I have Hastings in sight, and will terminate services. He says good night and go Tigers. I say thank you and fly a 15-mile final to 30. I finally got home around midnight.

Over 800 miles in PA28s, a new certificate, a new plane in the family, first time landing at a Bravo. And I am still beat yet today.

Last edited:
that is a busy day, and

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EdFred, PoA's newest CFI.

Good work man!

Woo HOO!!!! The skys are no longer safe with Ed producing pilots! :D <Jk>

Ok, so I need a BFR before Jan and will be in MI for 9 days around T-day, if Razor is busy want to do it????

Missa

smigaldi said:
Mega dittos!!

So did you take a pic of CLE for Go Fly America??

Yep. I've got two airports. A Delta, and a Bravo. I think I popped the Bravo cherry for GFA.

Eh not such a big deal some guy over on the Red Board posted the exact same thing. Apparently he had the same day you did:D

Way to go buddy!

Congratulations! I agree about the chairs at IX - they should be mandatory at all FBOs.

In honor of your new certificate I'll even refrain from teasing you about how much shorter your day would have been in a Mooney:p

Hey Congrats ED!!!!

Great story...and enjoy that new "family" plane!

AdamZ said:
Eh not such a big deal some guy over on the Red Board posted the exact same thing. Apparently he had the same day you did:D

Way to go buddy!

That bastard! Taking all my thunder.

Great story Ed! However, you forgot to mention that Tiger passing your Arrow on the way back. LOL!

Congrats Ed!

Your description of your day kinda reminds me of the ending scene of Goodfellas....gotta keep stirring the sauce...drop off the guns with Jimmy....there's that black helicopter again....back home, keep stirring the sauce....:rofl:

Last edited:
We should have Dueling CFI's at Gaston's '07...Tony/Chip/Greg/Ed :rofl:

Each grab one of the waitstaff and see who can solo him/her in a weekend.:frog:

haha sure. ed can do it in his plane, chip in the extra, greg in the 195, adn ill take the IAR!

Steve said:
Tried that..

N2212R said:
Over 800 miles in PA28s, a new certificate, a new plane in the family, first time landing at a Bravo. And I am still beat yet today.

Congrats!

Jeez, Ed, you fly in a day about what I fly in a month...

Steve said:
We should have Dueling CFI's at Gaston's '07...Tony/Chip/Greg/Ed :rofl:

Would any CFI in their right mind solo somebody from Gaston's?!? :hairraise:

flyingcheesehead said:

Sure, in Steve's plane. :rofl: :rofl:

kent you should fly over to my club south of CID sometime. it is narrower, shorter, and more confined than Gastons. Although it isnt one way. We solo a ton of people out of there. most of the flying is training in fact and we keep pretty busy.

flyingcheesehead said:
A CFI in their right mind. Now isn't that an oxymoron?:rofl:

EdFred, CONGRATULATIONS! Hopefully you'll get to have words with that Red Board bum sometime soon!:yes::goofy:

Wow, what a day! Congrats!

--Kath

I'm pooped just ready that. Congratulations Ed. Don't you feel great for having accomplished so much in one day?

Way to go Ed. Congrats on the CFI!!!:cheerswine: Man, I think I would be blubbering and talking to myself after a day like that.

Barb

Way to go Ed. Congradulations! I was in Ann Arbor today also. Well actually flew into Willow Run yesterday. We leave tomorrow. I started flying for a new company in a Citation that comes up here a lot. I drove over to Ann Arbor to eat dinner. I have heard of the place and decided to go and check it out. I was bored. Too bad I am not close to Grand Rapids. :( Anyway, they come up here a lot so I decided to drive and see the area and get used to it. It's kind of pretty up here.

Nice Ed. I've just got one question: When you first woke up this morning, did you think for a moment the checkride and several xc's were just a dream?

lancefisher said:
Nice Ed. I've just got one question: When you first woke up this morning, did you think for a moment the checkride and several xc's were just a dream?

LOL - no because the pain in my neck was screaming otherwise. I fell asleep on an airliner once and ever since my neck and upper left shoulder area just starts to ache and if I stay seated in a certain position for a long time. Usually goes away in about 36 hours.

One Short said:
Way to go Ed. Congrats on the CFI!!!:cheerswine: Man, I think I would be blubbering and talking to myself after a day like that.

Barb

I was doing that when I started the day.

Biber One-buh two-buh robeo debarting tree-buh zewo.

The novocain hadn't worn completely off when I left Hastings. LOL

Variations in Class B service

You worked two of the more courteous & accomodating Class B's in the midwest. Your day would have been much longer and more frustrating had you been thru Chicago and Indy, not to mention Cincinnati [which you wouldn't have gotten thru at all!].

I was telling a layman about the advantages of GA earlier today, and I wish I had read your story so I could relate it to him.

Great job, and nicely written.

Dick in Dayton [not nearly as friendly as Toledo]

Last edited:
tonycondon said:
kent you should fly over to my club south of CID sometime. it is narrower, shorter, and more confined than Gastons. Although it isnt one way. We solo a ton of people out of there. most of the flying is training in fact and we keep pretty busy.

And it's nearly under the veil of a Class 'C' - CID. Fun times! It's like landing on a narrow driveway after hitting all the 'normal' airports around here.

Sweet job, CFI Ed... Sounds like a helluva day! One to put in the books and bring up at some fly-in in the years to come -- "Well.. This one day........"

-Chris

yea, in fact it would be a good story to tell at a fly in, like the one in ames on saturday! :)

Richard said:
I'm pooped just ready that.

The dental work would've done me in.

Good job, Ed, and congratulations!!!:cheerswine:

Kaye

Back