What a great flight!

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
I took my (now outted) closet rotorhead wife out in the R44 today. The first leg was intended to be direct to the Delaware Water Gap through Allentown Class C. Turns out they couldn't see my transponder nor the one on another helicopter at 1500 msl when we were to the south. Finally when I was southeast they called and said they had radar contact and that I could resume my course.

It was beautiful this morning -- nice smooth air, good vis. About the time ABE had me, I had the gap in sight. I flew through it at 1500 msl, which was a few hundred feet below the top. What a fantastic view of the cliffs. The I pulled some pitch to get up to 2400 msl over Sunfish pond, and then a right turn to the southwest to follow the ridge. When we cleared Mt. Tammany, my wife kind of gave a little gasp. For those who haven't flown an a/c at a few hundred agl over a cliff, it is momentarily disorienting, particularly in a helicopter -- where you had familiar ground contact, all of a sudden you are very high over the terrain. I explained what had happened, and she was fine at Wind Gap.

I called ABE again because I was pretty sure I was going to be drifting in and out of their airspace, got a squawk code, and followed the ridge at around 500 agl. The view was spectacular! When the ridge started to peter out, I went south and dropped a bit so we could pass below the "Pinnacle" and then over the Pulpet. I dropped down to 1500 msl so she could get a good look at the new Cabalas, and then direct LNS for a great lunch. LNS tower was cooperative as always, cleared me for 26 hold short of 31, but as I started to slow down to hold short, I was cleared to air taxi to the grass opposite the west ramp to land.

Leaving was even easier -- I called the tower and asked for a southeast departure, was immediatly cleared to depart and to make a left turn on to course. The wife says she'd like to see the Paoli battlefield from the air so I followed route 30 and orbited the battlefield. Return to N99 was uneventful.

Bottom line, a great flight, and I'm so pleased my wife in really getting into helicopter flight :D

Sorry there's no pics :(

She wants to go to the Grand Canyon of PA next!

tonycondon said:
cool bob! no glider issues then?

Only that they don't have engines and are a hazard to navigation for real aircraft. :D

LOL!

Just kidding Tony, I have a lot of respect for Gliders and want to get some thermals/updraft practice to help my mountain flying.

Motorglider = Oxymoron?

RotaryWingBob said:
I'm so pleased my wife in really getting into helicopter flight

Bob. If memory serves, your wife wasn't to thrilled with flying in anything, or maybe I'm mistaken. Glad she likes that helo.

anthony, getting some flight experience in the wave off the rockies will give you strong respect for the power contained on the lee side of a mountain. The rockies have some killer wave, the Sierra Nevadas is where the wave maestros are currently burning up the skies with great cross country flights.

be careful though, you might turn into a glider nut like the rest of us!

tonycondon said:
cool bob! no glider issues then?
Didn't see any at all, Tony.

But that raises a question (which will demonstrate my ignorance about gliders). Suppose that like today, the winds are from the west, hitting a ridge which runs SW-NE, causing an updraft on the south side of the ridge. Now, if you wanted to follow the ridge in your glider, I presume you'd stay just to the south of the ridge line to stay in the updraft.

But would you fly southwest more-or-less into the wind, or northeast and get a tailwind?

I gotta try out one of them glider contraptions one of these days -- there's instruction at nearby Morgantown, PA airport.

they would go both ways bob, typically the will enter the ridge from whatever direction the come to it from (ie from the airport) then go down the ridge and then back, then back to the airport. there are longstanding right of way rules for running the ridge. basically the overtaking glider goes to the inside of the overtaken glider. all other turns are made away from the ridge. in a head on situation, the glider that can move to the right (away from the ridge) would do so. headwind or tailwind would only make a difference in groundspeed, the lift would be good either way, and that is the wonderful thing about running ridges.

and i recommend you do try the glider thing, it is a wonderful way to fly.

AdamZ said:
Sounds like a great day Bob even better now that Dusty is into it!
That is the seriously wonderful part, Adam! I never, in my wildest dreams, thought she would be happy flying...

Rotors rule :D

tonycondon said:
anthony, getting some flight experience in the wave off the rockies will give you strong respect for the power contained on the lee side of a mountain. The rockies have some killer wave, the Sierra Nevadas is where the wave maestros are currently burning up the skies with great cross country flights.

be careful though, you might turn into a glider nut like the rest of us!

That is very true, even with my limited experience. I've experienced the downdrafts on the leeward side, even with light winds in the Rockies. I prefer using the updrafts (windward side) to get over the big rocks much better. :)

I can see some glider time in my future. There are clubs at Meadow Lake, 00V and Boulder, KLIB.

there are updrafts on the downwind side too and they are just as strong as the downdrafts! I dont have any firsthand knowledge of any of the CO operations, but Matt Michael has flown at Boulder before. He worked as a CFIG there for a while. Have fun!

Anthony said:
I can see some glider time in my future. There are clubs at Meadow Lake, 00V and Boulder, KLIB.
There's also one at Kelly Airpark http://soarbfss.org/ which may be closer to you. I took an intro ride there a few years ago and have toyed with the idea of joining. I know someone who both flies and tows there.

Back