What a freakin' sweet weekend!

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Big thanks to Tony, Matt and Jesse for planning and implementing the midwest fly-in this weekend... It was a blast.

I arrived fairly late on Saturday (1:20 PM) after battling strong headwinds for a bit over two hours and could only say hi to Scott, Barry, and Grant on the radio. However, after landing I had the pleasure of meeting Matt (wby0nder), Jason (FlyNE), Chris Jones, James Dean, Javier (Tomahawk674), and seeing Chip, Greg, Tony, Jesse, and Lance again.

After eating some food (including some primo cookies baked by the Boys Wonder ;) ), James gave me a ride in his nice FG Saratoga before he had to leave for Spencer. Unfortunately, Greg had to leave pretty early too. The rest of us went over to the other side of the field and started pulling out the glider and towplane. Tony flew the towplane and Matt instructed in the glider.

I went first. It was a bit of a challenge for me to get in the glider, but I managed to squeeze in OK. Matt has obviously done an awful lot of glider instructing, and his briefings and procedures were clear and concise. Matt did the takeoff and after we were a few hundred feet in the air he showed me the limits of the tow and turned it over to me.

Whoa, nellie! The glider turned back and forth a couple of times before I had a good feel for it. It certainly takes a lot more stick movement to fly on tow than off, and with the rope connecting the two aircraft it doesn't always do exactly what you tell it. That took a bit of getting used to, but it was really neat flying so close behind the Super Cub, and not having the noise of an engine. The wind noise was a lot more than I'd expected, but it's kind of a neat sound.

When we got near 4,000 MSL, Matt briefed me on the release procedure and shortly thereafter I pulled the release handle. As the rope fell away, I banked right and Tony banked the towplane left.

We flew around over Ames for about 20 minutes or so, varying between about 35-50 knots and anywhere from 200 fpm sink to just a bit of a climb at one point. On average, it was about 100-150fpm sink and 40 knots.

Matt briefed me on the approach, and actually let me take it all the way through landing and rollout. That takes some steel cojones. :D It wasn't overly difficult, it's just a matter of varying the speed brakes instead of engine power, and you don't flare until you feel like you're about to hit the ground. About the height you sit in an airplane is where you START the flare in the glider, since when you're actually down your butt is maybe six inches off the pavement.

Next, Jason went up in the glider and Jesse rode in the towplane. I shot some video from the ground perspective. It was really neat to be right next to the runway when the glider landed, it makes a unique noise which is really cool.

Finally, Chip went up in the glider and I rode in the Super Cub with Tony. Once I figured out that I could use the tripod to hold the camera up to the "greenhouse" (window on top of the Super Cub) and watch the glider, I could actually see what was going on! Chip did a great job flying the glider on tow. Tony gave me some stick time in the Super Cub on the way back down. :)

After putting away the Super Cub and the Blanik and getting Matt to sign some logbooks, it was time to go get a $100 pizza. Unfortunately, Jason and Chip had to go home. Tony jumped in the Baron with Lance, Chris in the 182 with me, and Jesse, Jason, and Chip in their respective birds and we began taxxing out and taking off when a 421 checked in with "Ames Traffic, Golden Eagle N123X blah blah blah any traffic in the area please advise." :rolleyes: So, Jesse takes off and adds "any traffic..." to his call and the guy bit and re-stated his position again. Jesse was hoping the rest of us were going to add "any traffic..." to our calls, but we were laughing too hard. :D

Jesse got a head start in the 172, I ended up waiting for the 421 to land because he decided to use runway 1 while the rest of us were using 19. Tony and Lance gave us both a good head start and then, after deciding they weren't catching up fast enough, poured on the coals and zipped by. They passed us, and we passed Jesse shortly thereafter. Tony was talking smack on 122.75 about how speedy they were, but I ended up having to go around because the Baron was still on the runway when I came down. Jesse landed while we were in the pattern and helpfully made the first turnoff.

We headed over to Woody's Pizza and stuffed ourselves silly while we talked with Tony's uncle. Back at the airport, Jesse fueled the 172 and Lance headed home. Tony rode back with Jesse, and Chris with me again. We had some good tailwinds for the trip back. Chris and I landed first but went back up for a couple of trips around the pattern to get some night video. Thanks for being the cameraman, Chris! It turned out a lot better than it looked on the camera's screen.

After our return, Tony, Jesse and I went over to Matt's Halloween party for a bit. Mmmmm, hot spiced cider. :) Finally, we returned to Tony's place for some much-needed rest.

Sunday, we started a bit slow. After waking up at about 11, we munched on cold pizza for breakfast before heading back to the airport. We admired Matt's Fly Baby and headed back over to the hangar to clean up. Our "cleanup" soon turned some more brats into lunch.

Eventually Jesse and I took off and headed north. I stopped at Clarion for some $3.12 100LL and Jesse continued home. I flew back to Ames, where Tony and Matt had put the wings back on the Fly Baby. They took it out of the hangar to run the engine for a bit, and then Tony and I went up for an IPC in the 182.

Tony knows how to give people a workout. I won't give away his devious plan, but it involves a GPS approach with a miss that results in a hairpin turn onto an ILS at another field which would be a mere five minutes or so from the miss on the first approach to the miss on the second one. Hah! I'm not gonna fall for that one. When the localizer was already alive as soon as I'd tuned it, I asked for vectors back around to give me more time. At one point the DSM approach controller asked, "Are you Dan?" I figured there was some CFI around named Dan, and i replied "negative." Then a minute later, he said "Are you Kent?" :eek: I answered "Affirmative" and he said "yeah, I listen to the Pilotcast." Wow, cool! :D

Anyway, we finished off with a partial panel VOR approach back into AMW. While my CFII is hard-core into failing stuff, Tony was very helpful in teaching me how to use the technology in the plane a bit more. For example, using the ground track on the GPS to help determine a better outbound heading during a hold. Duh, why didn't I think of that? (Prolly because the 430 normally ends up covered with a post-it note for my instrument instruction flights.)

We grabbed a bite to eat at a very good little local restaurant before returning to the airport one last time for me to depart. And what a sweet flight it was... Good tailwinds. My just-over-two-hour trip to Ames turned into a one hour and fourteen minute return home with groundspeeds between 167 and 175 at cruise. As I was getting toward Madison, the Center controller said I was 15 miles out and there was an Airbus that was 35 miles out (Northwest, coming from MSP or DET) and it sounded like we were going to arrive at just about the same time.

No way. I smoked 'em! :goofy: I saw 204 knots groundspeed during descent. I landed on 14 so as to be out of the way of the Airbus but there was no need. I was parked on the ramp and even had my flight bag packed up before Northwest landed. :D

In all, an excellent weekend of flying. 9.1 hours in the 182, 0.4 more in the glider, and fun with friends... Can't beat it! Thanks again to our ringleaders and especially Tony for their efforts, hospitality, and flight instruction. I had a blast! :yes:

BTW, there will be some excellent video pushed through the Pilotcast video feed in the next few weeks... Something about gliders, and something about night flying. There's even a rumor that Tony Condon himself might make an appearance on the audio show. Or so I hear. :D

Sounds like you guys had a great weekend! I'm green with envy!

hey man it was great to have you. glad we could entertain and come on down anytime.

Wish I would have joined you guys. But alas I had a few too many beers on Friday night, and didn't feel that flying hung over into those headwinds would have been a good idea.....BTW Kent what was your groundspeed on the way out? I remeber seeing like 50+kt winds out if the north west at 6K on the duats brief....

Pete

vontresc said:
.BTW Kent what was your groundspeed on the way out? I remeber seeing like 50+kt winds out if the north west at 6K on the duats brief....

Pete

I know you asked Kent but here is mine anyways. On the way out, I was on a a heading of 270 pretty much the whole way. I calcualted winds at 55kt from 330 on the GPS which gave me a ground speed of between 82-92kts through out the flight. The way home though was sweet, 153kts. I fly a 160hp Warrior and was having a TAS of 120kts.

vontresc said:
BTW Kent what was your groundspeed on the way out? I remeber seeing like 50+kt winds out if the north west at 6K on the duats brief....

I was getting about 101 knots or so at 6500. IIRC the winds aloft as calculated on the 430 were about 220 @ 45.

My climb gradient was insane. I reached 6500 feet as I was passing over Morey - That's about 800 feet per nautical mile!

vontresc said:
Wish I would have joined you guys. But alas I had a few too many beers on Friday night, and didn't feel that flying hung over into those headwinds would have been a good idea.....BTW Kent what was your groundspeed on the way out? I remeber seeing like 50+kt winds out if the north west at 6K on the duats brief....

Pete
Also not Kent, but we were getting about 105Kt groundspeed at 4000' on a heading of about 270 in an Arrow. Also, heading out it was dead smooth, despite the winds. Coming back at 5000', however, is another story, though we did get 170Kt ground speed once. About 160kt most of the time.

OBTW, something I forgot to mention.

I saw one of the most spectacular sunsets I've ever seen while I was on my way back from Clarion to Ames. The camera doesn't do it justice, but here goes anyway:

DSCN3127.jpg

DSCN3128.jpg

flyingcheesehead said:
I saw one of the most spectacular sunsets I've ever seen while I was on my way back from Clarion to Ames. The camera doesn't do it justice, but here goes anyway:
Beautiful photos Kent!

ground pounders just don't understand what they're missing, do they?

Beautiful photos, Kent - beautiful! :)

etsisk said:
ground pounders just don't understand what they're missing, do they?

No, they don't! The part that the camera couldn't quite capture was the interesting texture on the bottom of those clouds that made little rivers of different reds. Stunning.

There is no way you'd ever see that dark of a red sunset on the ground, as the sunlight has to travel through a LOT of atmosphere to get that dark. From directly under those clouds it wouldn't have been nearly that red. The sun might have even been below the horizon where the clouds were. From the air, the sunlight can travel through almost its limit in the atmosphere, hit the clouds, and the reflection off the clouds can travel that much again. That's the only explanation I can come up with, I have never seen nearly such a rich, dark red on the ground. :yes:

Oh, and the fastest I've ever made it home from Ames on the ground was 4 hours, which came to 110 miles per hour. Not recommended. :D Sunday night, I took off from Ames at 10:01 and landed at MSN at 11:14. Sweet.

Very nice write-up Kent! I was monitoring DSM approach as I was flying home from Albert Lea, MN Sunday evening, I heard someone doing something like GPS 5 DSM, ILS 36 IKV, VOR 31 AMW. I'm guessing that it was you guys. I tuned out when you were heading 180 on your vectors back around, when did the controller start talking to you?

ben, yea it was a gps 13 with a hairpin to the ils 36 ankeny. kent very wisely asked for a vectored hold to get the ils sorted out. after the missed on the gps, approach was busy vectoring him and by the time he got the localizer tuned we had blown about 3 dots through it. controller asked who he was after we got the 270 vector, you just missed it!

I knew I should have stayed on frq, oh well. I remember that because it sounded like the first controller wanted to know your life story for the night.

Wow, Kent..

I finally got time to watch the Pilotcast video of the glider flight! That is pretty dang sweet!

Notice to Tony and Matt -- I'm gonna have to get in on that action next spring. ;)

-Chris

CJones said:
Wow, Kent..

I finally got time to watch the Pilotcast video of the glider flight! That is pretty dang sweet!

Notice to Tony and Matt -- I'm gonna have to get in on that action next spring. ;)

-Chris
I watched it last night. VERY nicely done! It must have been a great ego boost having Matt tell you over and over again how wonderful a pilot you were! :cheerswine: I really liked the professionalism of the multiple cameras. I was disappointed, though, that you didn't credit all the cameramen! Sorry I missed seeing you there!

gprellwitz said:
I watched it last night. VERY nicely done! It must have been a great ego boost having Matt tell you over and over again how wonderful a pilot you were! :cheerswine: I really liked the professionalism of the multiple cameras. I was disappointed, though, that you didn't credit all the cameramen! Sorry I missed seeing you there!
One cameraman. Three flights. Three pilots. One talented editor. :D

Everything from inside the glider is Kent flying. Everything from the ground is me flying. Everything from the towplane is Chip flying.

Excellent Chris, we'll show you the dark side. Rachel thinks you spend too much time at the airport now just wait until we get you hooked on real flying.

With all the great feedback we've gotten and interest generated Im hoping to do a PoA glider weekend at Ames this spring. Probably late march/early april.

gprellwitz said:
I watched it last night. VERY nicely done!

Thanks! I had fun with the editing too. It's neat to be able to tell a story like that, even if it didn't really completely happen that way. :)

I really liked the professionalism of the multiple cameras. I was disappointed, though, that you didn't credit all the cameramen!

Hehe... As Jason said (giving away my dirty little secret):

FlyNE said:
Everything from inside the glider is Kent flying. Everything from the ground is me flying. Everything from the towplane is Chip flying.

I did pay attention to which way the aircraft were turning, where the glider was in relation to the towplane, etc. when inserting the video clips from Chip's and Jason's flights. The only one that didn't quite work out was the landing. I think Jason flared a little higher than I did and touched down further down the runway, so that's the one spot where I couldn't quite get the cuts quite right - It went from about 2.5' AGL to touchdown awfully quick. :goofy:

gprellwitz said:
It must have been a great ego boost having Matt tell you over and over again how wonderful a pilot you were! :cheerswine:

Yeah, that never gets old. :D

Of course, now I wish I'd been recording during two other flights when I got excellent compliments, both from CFI's on this board (Thanks, guys!)

#1: Flying Ed Guthrie's Mooney. Ed said, "You know, I was under the impression that you were a low-time pilot." (I was almost to 150 hours at that point.) :) Then there was the non-verbal compliment of letting me land his bird on the tiny runway at S37 after we'd done a bunch of pattern work at LNS and I'd greased 'em all (we'd briefed otherwise before the flight - I'd do the landings at LNS, he'd finish it off at S37). Something about that plane... It just fit me. Not only physically (Wow, legroom!) but also it just seemed to do exactly what I asked it to do, as if connected directly to my brain instead of via arm and yoke. Wonderful airplane.

#2: Flying Chip's Citabria. It was my first tailwheel lesson and we were buzzing around the pattern. After my second or third landing Chip said "That's about as good as you're gonna get in a tailwheel." Next trip around the pattern I made a noticeably better landing. Chip said: "OK, can you teach me how to land like that now?" :D :rofl:

Thanks a heap to both of you (and Matt too) for your praise. It really makes such flights that much more enjoyable, and gives me something to aspire to when I become a CFI. I've already started to be more positive towards my students in the truck, which is just something I'm not naturally good at. Normally, if things are good, I'm silent. Working hard to change that.

Sorry I missed seeing you there!

Likewise! At least we got to chat on the air-to-air. If it weren't for that pesky headwind I'd have at least been able to say hi to you all in person.

FlyNE said:
One cameraman. Three flights. Three pilots. One talented editor. :D

Aww, thanks! :redface: That's actually only the 2nd video I've ever edited. I do enjoy it though. There's a 500GB hard drive on its way to me now so that I have some breathing room to do more. :yes:

BTW, there will be some excellent video pushed through the Pilotcast video feed in the next few weeks... Something about gliders, and something about night flying. There's even a rumor that Tony Condon himself might make an appearance on the audio show. Or so I hear. :D

OK, I just looked this thread up because of another one, and realized I never posted the links to the stuff I mentioned above.

The glider video is here: http://media.libsyn.com/media/pilotcast/Pilotcast_049_2006.11.05_Kent_Glider.m4v

Pilotcast #49 with Tony is here: http://media.libsyn.com/media/pilotcast/Pilotcast_049_2006.11.09_Glider_CFI_Tony.mp3

If you like it, be sure to subscribe either on iTunes or at http://www.pilotcast.com/ :yes:

the video is long, but it is excellent! Its a standard intro flight to gliding including the entire takeoff, tow, manuevering on tow, release, manuevering off tow, and landing. Plus the perspective changes from inside glider to inside towplane to on the ground. did I mention it is excellent?

Probably because it is in m4v format or maybe the fact that it is 157 freaking MB!!

Whine, whine, whine... ;)

It's in m4v because that format plays on Macs, PC's, and iPods. Yes, you do have to have current software.

It's 157MB because it's long, 25 minutes or so IIRC. There's probably some high-end editing software that can do some tricks to make it smaller, but that costs money and ya get what ya pay for. Heck, the first time I exported to m4v it came out at 310MB! :hairraise:

I get an HTTP 406 error on the glider video

Adam,

HTTP/406 is a "Not acceptable" error, which is generated because your browser is telling the server that it will only accept specific kinds of content. When was the last time you updated your browser? Do you have any sort of internet security package running? Don't you think you should just buy a Mac? ;) J/K

There may also be some preference within your browser that allows you to specify what file types you want to be able to see. I wish we ran our own server so we could really dig into this some more, but we don't. :(

I'm sure if you post what browser and version you use, and what firewall or other security software you're running, the geek collective on the board can figure it out. :yes:

Back