What a bunch of wusses...

Sebring is interesting in the rain because of surface changes, and there are also spots where water collects. The track has some concrete patches, and the concrete is much slipperier in the wet than the asphalt, which changes the line and preferred passing areas.

I always hated rain races, but they were often where I did the best. Wet tracks take away HP advantages and reward driver finesse. My biggest dislike was that visibility went to crap, especially on the start with all the tire spray.
I’ve raced motorcycles at Sebring many times in the rain. I’ve crashed there twice, neither was in the rain. Lol. Once was from dirt on the track from an earlier car crash that they didn’t clean properly, the other was from pushing it too hard when I hit one of the changes in track surface and lost the front end. In the rain, I always placed in the top 3. Almost never did when dry.

The drivers of NASCAR may not be "wusses" but the racing sure can be boring. Seems that somebody would take notice and make a few improvements, like race cars that the public can actually buy so we can tell what car is leading and limit decals to 25% of the cars surface, perhaps just to the rooftop. Just my .02

There's only so much they can do to make the car easier to drive. If you make it too tight, it won't turn very well and if you get going too fast, you'll get a lot of push and may get to meet Mr. Wall. If they make it too loose, if you get going too fast you may find the back end coming around. It's just like flying, you're in the adult world and actions have consequences, so work you way up from slower to faster. There's no shame and no harm in going slower than you could, I can't say the same about going faster than you're capable of. You can always come back at another time and do it again, especially if you don't hit anything, since that gets expensive quick.

I think a looser car is more drivable than one that won't turn. I like a loose car. I used to drift my mustang a lot, I could even drift my Jeep Wrangler on a wet, slick cloverleaf interchange.

And, I got the insurance. I can bend all the metal I want for $1,000 deductable.

The drivers of NASCAR may not be "wusses" but the racing sure can be boring. Seems that somebody would take notice and make a few improvements, like race cars that the public can actually buy so we can tell what car is leading and limit decals to 25% of the cars surface, perhaps just to the rooftop. Just my .02

You might like https://www.ustcc.com/ .

I've hung out with a few top level NASCAR driver's. There's a reason they are at that top level, and the gap between them and most people's driving skills is huge, and the gap between them and people who think they can drive fast is still huge.

Here's a tip, don't let Jon Wood drive your mustang, he will not be nice to it. My aunt and uncle used to haul Bill Elliot's show car around. I've puked in Junior Johnson's hot tub.

I think a looser car is more drivable than one that won't turn. I like a loose car. I used to drift my mustang a lot, I could even drift my Jeep Wrangler on a wet, slick cloverleaf interchange.

And, I got the insurance. I can bend all the metal I want for $1,000 deductable.
Might double-check that the insurance covers "racing events". Most don't. I happen to know of a guy who likely committed insurance fraud by claiming he folded the wheels of his Dodge Viper under the car by hitting a curb. He neglected to say that the curb was way off to the side of a slalom course that he lost it on and essentially totaled it out with the suspension damage that occurred.

I've hung out with a few top level NASCAR driver's. There's a reason they are at that top level, and the gap between them and most people's driving skills is huge, and the gap between them and people who think they can drive fast is still huge.

Here's a tip, don't let Jon Wood drive your mustang, he will not be nice to it. My aunt and uncle used to haul Bill Elliot's show car around. I've puked in Junior Johnson's hot tub.

Anyone can drive a fast car, but only a few can drive a car fast.

Might double-check that the insurance covers "racing events". Most don't. I happen to know of a guy who likely committed insurance fraud by claiming he folded the wheels of his Dodge Viper under the car by hitting a curb. He neglected to say that the curb was way off to the side of a slalom course that he lost it on and essentially totaled it out with the suspension damage that occurred.

It's insurance sold by the "driving experience" company. The website basically says, " if you wreck a car, you pay for the damage before leaving the track. If you buy this insurance and wreck a car, you pay the deductible if damages exceed $1,000 before you leave the track "

The drivers of NASCAR may not be "wusses" but the racing sure can be boring

There is a reason that redneck fell asleep and crashed during a race years ago....

Back