Whale in an Airplane

What kind of whale was it? A Pilot whale would know better than to swim back and forth possibly upsetting the CG. A Blue whale would probably just float there depressed and not cause issues. A Killer whale wouldn’t care.
A porpoise will mess up the landing.

No the CG would not change because it is neutrally buoyant. Same as if there was a boat floating on the water. The weight of the boat is displaced by the water so there is no additional "weight" where the boat is located.
My question is can the captain of the boat log the time? Asking for a friend.

No the CG would not change because it is neutrally buoyant. Same as if there was a boat floating on the water. The weight of the boat is displaced by the water so there is no additional "weight" where the boat is located.
My question is can the captain of the boat log the time? Asking for a friend.
Let the friend ask for himself.

I would think it depends. The whale probably has a different density than the water he displaces. If so, then the answer is yes. If his density is the same as the water, then no.

BTW, that must be one really big airplane!

If the whale has less density than the water, moving the whale aft may move the CG forward. Really not much different than moving seat position.

Last edited:
What would happen is the whale would die if the tank was full of water and sealed. They are air-breathing mammals.
If you have air in the tank, it is possible that the whale will cease to become neutrally buoyant and then it would change the CG as it moved around.
Of course, if you have air in the tank, you don't even have to worry about the whale. The water and air will move around unless you maintained a level, unaccelerated flight, changing the CG.

What would happen is the whale would die if the tank was full of water and sealed. They are air-breathing mammals.
If you have air in the tank, it is possible that the whale will cease to become neutrally buoyant and then it would change the CG as it moved around.
Of course, if you have air in the tank, you don't even have to worry about the whale. The water and air will move around unless you maintained a level, unaccelerated flight, changing the CG.
The whale is on a closed-circuit rebreather.

Back