Wet/Dry Lease Question

eventualpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
eventualpilot
The flight school I am currently using for my instrument rating was acquired by a larger 141 school/academy in the region to be their 'north' location. They are awaiting final inspection/approval to begin the 141 program.

This academy uses Diamond aircraft at their other 2 locations and the word is that 172s (mix of SP and legacy models) will be phased out in favor of what I am assuming will be more expensive DA40s.

The primary aircraft I am using for my training is a well equipped (GTN650 and 530W) 172P model. I recently found out that it will no longer be available as of Aug 1. The N number is registered to a LLC that appears to operate out of a residential address. Do you think it would be reasonable to send a letter to the LLC address or otherwise try to find out the name/contact info for the owner and see if he/she is willing to wet or dry lease me the aircraft for the duration of my instrument rating?

Can't hurt.

But also inquire with the school about training you in an aircraft that isn't theirs, especially if you are in their 141 program. I have no idea if "who controls the aircraft" is part of 141 certification, but do know the local 141 school near me says no to training an aircraft that you bring to the lesson.

If you're training Part 61, it might not be a big deal. And if they agree to train you "in your own aircraft", get the Chief to say so in writing. Keeps someone else from changing their mind and leaving you hanging.

Same school mentioned above also sold off all their Diamond aircraft for Cessnas several years ago. Evidently more cost effective for their operations over keeping a fancier more expensive plastic fleet in the air.

Yes. A quiet word with the management of the acquired FBO may present you some creative options. Be open to other planes than the specific one you've been flying. Any planes that don't go to the new owner will sit and rot waiting for buyers and while everyone is distracted with the larger problems of handover. For 172s, they won't take long to sell, but they may let you fly while they seek that buyer. If you only need a month or two, it might work out.

Not knowing your situation... tread lightly. Aviation has some real crafty snakes out there, and someone leaving the business may see an opportunity to pad his haul with another 5 grand via some sneaky tactic. You wouldn't believe some of the fraudulent nonsense I've seen. Shields up! :)

$0.02

The flight school I am currently using for my instrument rating was acquired by a larger 141 school/academy in the region to be their 'north' location. They are awaiting final inspection/approval to begin the 141 program.

This academy uses Diamond aircraft at their other 2 locations and the word is that 172s (mix of SP and legacy models) will be phased out in favor of what I am assuming will be more expensive DA40s.

The primary aircraft I am using for my training is a well equipped (GTN650 and 530W) 172P model. I recently found out that it will no longer be available as of Aug 1. The N number is registered to a LLC that appears to operate out of a residential address. Do you think it would be reasonable to send a letter to the LLC address or otherwise try to find out the name/contact info for the owner and see if he/she is willing to wet or dry lease me the aircraft for the duration of my instrument rating?

Yes. They were leasing it to flight school so they would likely be interested in this if they continue to own the plane.

ya got nuthin to lose. the primary plane i did my training in was on lease to the school. a few weeks before my scheduled check ride the lease ended and the plane was pulled. my instructor contacted the owner on my behalf and arranged for me to complete my training AND check ride in that plane for the same hourly rate. worth a shot.

I plan to continue to train via part 61. After the leaseback on my primary aircraft ends, only 1 of the remaining 3 legacy 172s has an IFR GPS. All of the SPs have the KLN94 and are about $20 more per hour.

Do you think it would be reasonable to send a letter to the LLC address or otherwise try to find out the name/contact info for the owner

Does the LLC have a registered agent.??

I would say try it. Worse that can happen is the letter gets returned to you.

I would say try it. Worse that can happen is the letter gets returned to you.
...but not before a without an formal order, signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters.

Back