Western Suggestions

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
I've got 9 days booked off work and the plane available for 9 days starting September 2nd. While I've not 100% made up my mind where to go, I'm definitely leaning towards heading west with the first overnight stop being Black Hills - Clyde Ice (KSPF). Maybe spending a couple of days in Deadwood including renting a car and seeing Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse.

From there I'm looking for suggestions. Assuming I leave Tuesday morning from KSPF and plan to arrive back home (KDPA) on Saturday afternoon I've got 4 days left - do I go west, southwest, south? Ideally I'd be looking for a day's flight of 6-9 hours to a destination with something of interest to maybe stay a day and then move on. I'm more interested in history than mondern stuff. Don't want to go higher than 10,000ft and have not been trained in Mountain flying.

Thanks

bstratt said:
I've got 9 days booked off work and the plane available for 9 days starting September 2nd. While I've not 100% made up my mind where to go, I'm definitely leaning towards heading west with the first overnight stop being Black Hills - Clyde Ice (KSPF). Maybe spending a couple of days in Deadwood including renting a car and seeing Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse.

From there I'm looking for suggestions. Assuming I leave Tuesday morning from KSPF and plan to arrive back home (KDPA) on Saturday afternoon I've got 4 days left - do I go west, southwest, south? Ideally I'd be looking for a day's flight of 6-9 hours to a destination with something of interest to maybe stay a day and then move on. I'm more interested in history than mondern stuff. Don't want to go higher than 10,000ft and have not been trained in Mountain flying.

Thanks

My favorite stop in the black hills area is Wall S.D. the airport is at the end of main street..about 3 block walk to the motel. and Wall Drug.

If you really want to see the beauty of the west, land at Kalispell, Mt. and rent a car and see Glacier national park.. don't let the mountains scare you. Kalispell is in a huge valley no mountains with in 5 miles of the airport.

but to get there you'll cross the mountains in the photos, just go over them and do weather, weather weather,,

the best place to cross this far north is the highway #2 crossing that can be completed well under 10K' and places you in Kalispell on the west side.

Attachments

• P1010027.JPG
    P1010027.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 23
  • P1010039.JPG
    P1010039.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 21
  • P1010041.JPG
    P1010041.JPG
    715.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 2002 trip to NY 029.jpg
    2002 trip to NY 029.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
bstratt said:
I'm more interested in history than mondern stuff. Don't want to go higher than 10,000ft and have not been trained in Mountain flying.
If you're interested in history you might like the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, WY.

http://www.bbhc.org/home/index_flash.cfm

Cody has a nice airport and is located in a huge valley. It's also the eastern gateway to Yellowstone NP if you want to drive there. There is a range of mountains between KSPF and KCOD but you can go around them easily if you don't want to fly over them.

Everskyward said:
If you're interested in history you might like the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, WY.
Cody has a nice airport and is located in a huge valley. It's also the eastern gateway to Yellowstone NP if you want to drive there. There is a range of mountains between KSPF and KCOD but you can go around them easily if you don't want to fly over them.

I second Cody, WY. You can rent cars at the airport. And, if you drive 18 miles out from the edge of town on the road to Greybull, on the Left is a herd of wild horses. At least they were there last year, exactly where the motel lady said they would be.

The Irma hotel is a nice resteraunt and was built by Buffalo Bill
The museum is huge. It is actually several museums in one building.
Barb

NC19143 said:
If you really want to see the beauty of the west, land at Kalispell, Mt. and rent a car and see Glacier national park.. don't let the mountains scare you. Kalispell is in a huge valley no mountains with in 5 miles of the airport.
I second Kalispell and Glacier National. We flew in there from Great Falls, and it was an easy flight.

Barry, Normally I would tell you to fly on out to Or. and I would be glad to fly you into the Id. Back country. However we have so many wild fires now back country flying is not for me. I tried to fly to Big Creek last Friday and gave it up because of the smoke. I hope you find someplace else. Bob

along the way, (within legal limits) around devils tower... it's amazing from the air and only about 30 miles from Spearfish.

Attachments

• Cathy Reunion 2006 089.jpg
    Cathy Reunion 2006 089.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
To Barb, Devil's Tower is a fine example of the columnar jointing I was talking about while driving around at 6Y9.

My wife and I flew to the Black Hills a month ago. I'd go back in a heartbeat. We flew into Custer County(KCUT). Call ahead, and if they have a hanger available, you can keep your plane under cover for $20 a night. The local GM dealer will pick you up and rent you a car. You're 5 minutes from Crazy Horse there. We stopped for fuel, both ways, at KLYV- lower priced fuel, and you'll find the key for the courtesy car on the side of the courtesy car donation box insde the FBO.

Re: Western Suggestions - Update

ALWAYSLEARNING said:
My wife and I flew to the Black Hills a month ago. I'd go back in a heartbeat. We flew into Custer County(KCUT). Call ahead, and if they have a hanger available, you can keep your plane under cover for $20 a night. The local GM dealer will pick you up and rent you a car. You're 5 minutes from Crazy Horse there. We stopped for fuel, both ways, at KLYV- lower priced fuel, and you'll find the key for the courtesy car on the side of the courtesy car donation box insde the FBO.

I had originally planned to fly into KCUT but have decided to spend a couple of nights in Deadwood and thought the "Ice" airport would be more convenient. Could be wrong.

Also, originally my "aviation fearful" wife was going to join me, hence the request for short hops and day or more stays. She has now decided she just can't do it so I'm on my own. This opens up a broader range of possibilities that I was exploring last night. Now looking at Monument Valley in Utah via KABQ, and I'd love to make it as far as Death Valley before having to turn for home. Too many options.

Anyone want to be co-pilot?

Re: Western Suggestions - Update

bstratt said:
I had originally planned to fly into KCUT but have decided to spend a couple of nights in Deadwood and thought the "Ice" airport would be more convenient.

Spearfish (KSPF) is probably a little more convenient to Deadwood. We flew into KCUT last summer for a day trip and had a blast. We drove all around the Black Hills and saw Mt. Rushmore, and Crazy Horse. Its a great area and we enjoyed the town of Custer also. Nice people!

Too bad your wife won't go.

Richard said:
To Barb, Devil's Tower is a fine example of the columnar jointing I was talking about while driving around at 6Y9.

Roger, Richard. And a pentagon should have 108 degree angles.

Barb

One Short said:
Roger, Richard. And a pentagon should have 108 degree angles.

Barb

Sounds like we missed some pretty exciting things...

jangell said:
Sounds like we missed some pretty exciting things...
Yeah, while you guys were blowing it by riding ATVs through mud holes we were out communing with nature.

Bob Bement said:
Barry, Normally I would tell you to fly on out to Or. and I would be glad to fly you into the Id. Back country. However we have so many wild fires now back country flying is not for me. I tried to fly to Big Creek last Friday and gave it up because of the smoke. I hope you find someplace else. Bob

Speaking of Big Creek, last year when we flew into Big Creek, the lodge had in residence for the summer a nice Amish couple that put on an excellent steak barbeque after they knew we'd like to eat dinner there. Ours was short notice and we were the only guests, but they will do even more for you if you let them know a little earlier in the day of your wishes.

I fondly remember she was singing in the kitchen while he whistled in accompaniment to the hymns, in the lengthening shadows during the cool of the evening.

Last edited:
Back