Western NC regional ?

Speedy

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Speedy
Anyone have any experience in getting in and out of this airport. (RHP). Looks trickey to me and I have to fly up there next week for a closing on a cabin.

Anyone have any experience in getting in and out of this airport. (RHP). Looks trickey to me and I have to fly up there next week for a closing on a cabin.

5500ft runway. What are you flying??? Looks pretty straightforward. :dunno:

Last edited:
Yes runway is plenty long it's the approach that has my respect. I've been at that airport when I was renting a hangar but never flown in. I'm a newly minted PP SEL. Flying a Cherokee 180.

I see a big wide open valley with a straight shot into the runway off the RNAV. Is it the hills that are your concern? It looks like they are only a thousand higher than the runway. Just don't hit them. :D

Speedy,

My brother is based at CHN, not too far away from you.

Whenever I am going to fly to new destination I always look at google maps and search You Tube...for example "landing Western Carolina Regional" or "RHP" or "KRHP".

Check this video out of approach to Rwy 8...

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=YjRD2UjxyJI&desktop_uri=/watch?v=YjRD2UjxyJI

Here is another to Rwy 26...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=PogmtmuAyJU

Have fun and beware of high winds/hills/marginal wx as they don't mix well.

I fly into KRHP routinely. It is a nice country airport with a big wide runway; say high to Ralph and Jessie. You do need to pay close attention to the weather and even call the FBO for a bit of HUMINT. It is quite common to have a 2-3000' overcast. The RNAV/GPS-8 approach appears straightforward but the minimums are quite high; pattern altitude is 2700' and the minimum is 4020'. Be carefull when flying this approach because it is not aligned with the runway and you are quite high for a straight in to runway 8. It is better to get below the overcast and fly a normal left traffic for runway 26. Also, if you fly this coupled the FAF is 4100'; essentially at the minimum. If you let the autopilot achieve GS lock it will dump you below minimums quickly. The AWOS is spotty and hard to recieve. Finally, do not attempt to fly on the North side (right traffic runway 8) of the runway as the airport is located on the upslope to the mountain. People familiar with the area will fly out to the west (HISEN), decend below the overcast then follow the highway up to the airport. With good visibility it is a non-issue; however, I wouldn't recommend it with visibility less then 10sm for a newby.

Where is your cabin located?

Ours is up in Topton off of Wayah road just past Natahala high school.

We are in Marble. Old Peachtree road. Moving up there permanently in August. Love that Topton area. Beautiful lake.

Same thing Baron said. I used to have my Grumman based out of there years ago. Now I fly HEMS in North Ga and my plane is based out of Dalton. I too own a cabin up here. The surrounding terrain around RHP looks intimidating but it's located in a flat valley. It's really not very difficult getting in and out. Obviously your way out in low clouds is the lower terrain to the SW. I flown in and out of Murphy Med Center a few times and the one thing I've noticed is that area is the first to fog over. Just be very careful going into there at night coming back from a cross country! One minute it's clear and the next it's socked in.

My in laws live in Waynesville. 24A looks like a cool airport.

I did my checkride at RHP a few years back and didn't feel like it was a particular challenge, especially with a good sized runway. The others are correct - not a big deal so long as the ceilings and visibility are good. On departure from 26 you will have a nice upclose view of the hills to your right and you'll realize why it's not an ideal place for a newly minted instrument pilot to explore in the clouds.

Back