Westchester NY (HPN) Advice

Gary

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Gary
Need to pick up my daugher at HPN on March 7, probably in the late afternoon. Neither of us have ever been there, so I need an FBO that can be easily found by a pair of novices. She's getting a ride there while I fly in (weather permitting) to bring her the rest of the way home. Both Landmark and Signature look to be on either side of the main terminal so I'm hoping they should be easy for her to find. Any preference between the two?

Getting into HPN looks fairly straightforward, it's under the Class B shelf and a straight shot from Quakertown. Any local customs that might make life easier?

Probably take the Hudson tour going home if the weather is good.

Gary

Need to pick up my daugher at HPN on March 7, probably in the late afternoon. Neither of us have ever been there, so I need an FBO that can be easily found by a pair of novices. She's getting a ride there while I fly in (weather permitting) to bring her the rest of the way home. Both Landmark and Signature look to be on either side of the main terminal so I'm hoping they should be easy for her to find. Any preference between the two?
No preference that I know of. I fly out of Panorama, on the opposite side of the field. For a newbie driving to the area, it might be hard (but not impossible) to locate, so I think your plan of using one of those two is good. Everyone can find the main terminal.
Getting into HPN looks fairly straightforward, it's under the Class B shelf and a straight shot from Quakertown. Any local customs that might make life easier?
The biggest local custom is that although HPN is a Class D, they want you to contact NY approach for sequencing. If you are IFR, no problem. If you are VFR, call approach and get a code at about 15 miles out. The number of times I have been vectored for traffic is - count 'em - one. Most likely you will get "head HPN direct, expect left/right downwind runway 34, contact tower."
Probably take the Hudson tour going home if the weather is good.
Enjoy it!

-Skip

Last edited:
Pick up ATIS while still west of the Hudson.
Swing a little north of HPN.
Call NY Approach (126.4) as you cross the Hudson at Croton Point, about 5 miles north of the Tappan Zee bridge. (Croton Point is a finger of land sticking out about half-way across the river.)
At this point, you pretend that HPN is a Class C airport and report the ATIS and that you are landing HPN.
Turn south toward the TZ bridge and turn towards HPN after crossing to the southern ramp of the bridge.
Descend to 2000 over the city.
Usually expect runway 34.
You may have to extend your downwind all the way to the Sound. Don't let it surprise you. Otherwise, I turn base when abeam the white mound of apartments that are on final.

Tell tower where you want to park when Approach turns you over because they may expect you to go to one of the West side FBOs.

We use Million Air and Panorama. Both are on the OTHER SIDE of the airport from the terminal -- on the tower side. Have never used Signature or Landmark, so cannot say what to expect from them.

Last edited:
My advice would be to use Panorama, which is where I fly out of and a few of the other members on the board do. Landmark will turn you away if you even come close to their ramp and Signature will gouge you with ramp fees. Not sure what MillionAir charges.

Enjoy the free cheesecake upstairs and don't hesitate to ask for someone to pick your daughter up at the main terminal and bring her over (a line guy will pick her up in the Panorama van if you ask).

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask or PM me. Biggest trick is talking to NY at least 15-20nm out. Treat it like a class C airport.

Best,
Jason

The biggest local custom is that although HPN is a Class D, they want you to contact NY approach for sequencing. If you are IFR, no problem. If you are VFR, call approach and get a code at about 15 miles out. The number of times I have been vectored for traffic is - count 'em - one. Most likely you will get "head HPN direct, expect left/right downwind runway 34, contact tower."

OK that's good to know, sorta like Reading (RDG) the not well documented but necessary procedure! I'll probably go with Landmark, should be easy for Nicole to find, the guy giving her the ride is shall we say... directionally challenged and not good under pressure, so they should have an easier time of it. Thanks1

Gary

My advice would be to use Panorama, which is where I fly out of and a few of the other members on the board do. Landmark will turn you away if you even come close to their ramp and Signature will gouge you with ramp fees. Not sure what MillionAir charges.
Best,
Jason

OK - that's a bit different. I'm really trying to make this as easy for my daughter as possible, they are saving me a bunch of time and effort by just getting to HPN rather than me hauling all the way up to Boston. I'll take another look at the maps and see if she can make it to Panorama. if I've got any other questions, I'll use PM. Really do appreciate the advice!

Gary

OK - that's a bit different. I'm really trying to make this as easy for my daughter as possible, they are saving me a bunch of time and effort by just getting to HPN rather than me hauling all the way up to Boston. I'll take another look at the maps and see if she can make it to Panorama. if I've got any other questions, I'll use PM. Really do appreciate the advice!

Gary

Sure. If you need local directions, don't hesitate to ask. The biggest help in finding Tower Road is to look for the sign that says "4300" that's across the street at the house that's been under construction for a good few years now. Follow Tower Road and hang a left at the end (you can't miss the huge PANORAMA sign on the hangar).

When I was looking to fly up to HPN Panorama seemed to me to be the obvious choice as well.

Gary on the trip home why not hang a left over the Tap and head down the Hudson past NYC like we did with Buck. It will be a neat trip home for you and your daughter.

Last edited:
The biggest help in finding Tower Road is to look for the sign that says "4300" that's across the street at the house that's been under construction for a good few years now.
Whatever will we do if they ever finish that house and take the sign down? :dunno:

-Skip

I've always used Millionaire. However they have too many jets on their tight ramp. If I was going in a small G/A plane, I would look at a different FBO that has a little more ramp room to accommodate you better. It would be a bummer to get damage from jet wash.

There is a little bit of BS going on here. I have used Landmark multiple times and have never been 'turned away' approaching their ramp. It is just off the road to the terminal.

I have used all the FBO's at HPN except Signature and Panorama is the cheapest.

Whatever will we do if they ever finish that house and take the sign down? :dunno:

-Skip

I don't know, that will be a very sad day!

There is a little bit of BS going on here. I have used Landmark multiple times and have never been 'turned away' approaching their ramp. It is just off the road to the terminal.

I have used all the FBO's at HPN except Signature and Panorama is the cheapest.

Not exactly "BS" as you call it, I have spoken with at least 10 pilots who were either turned away or charged an outragous amount for a ramp fee (to the tune of $50+ for a quick turn in a small single piston). The reviews on AirNav also corroborate what I've heard about them -- it's been the same deal since the days when it was Skyport.

What were you flying in? Anything smaller than a KingAir and you can forget it, unless management has drastically changed in the last year or so. Landmark has a bad rep. on the field for turning away pilots in small aircraft and those that don't call ahead to inform them of an intended arrival. Most of the pilots based on the field know how they treat their first time customers.

Last edited:
Driving instructions from Boston
Take I-95 to I-287. You turn off at exit 21, but be aware that exit 21 is the next exit after exit 3. Follow the signs to White Plains/Tappan Zee.
Take I-287 to I-684. You turn off at exit 9A and keep moving toward the left lanes as right lanes merge into the mainstream and new left lanes appear. Eventually, you will go under a bridge carrying a road. You have about a mile to get over to the right for exit 2 to the airport.
Exit I-684 and take County 120. At the top of the off ramp, there is a traffic light. Hang a right onto 120 and head back toward the bridge over the highway. Just before you get there, you'll see a very small green sign for Purchase College on the right of the road. That is the only sign I ever see to warn that 120 turns. Don't go over the bridge. Turn left, instead. Then you will see the roadsign for County Road 120.
Turn left at the 4300 sign. Then travel down Tower Road, past the intersection into the parking lot for Panorama.

Last edited:
I've used Panorama when there and had a good experience also.

Thanks to all the posters, the advice was very good!

Daughter retrieved.
Flight uneventful.
Cheesecake excellent!
Bit hazy but a nice flight!

Gary

Only time into Westchester, I used Panorama. No unusual or outragious charges. They even gave us a ride to the local restaurant for lunch and picked us up when we called.
Definitely try out the cheesecake. Nice touch.

Back