West to east through NYC

Toby

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Toby Speed
In my quest to try every possible route over, under, around, and through NYC, I tried one tonight that I didn't like. I was going directly east from KABE to KHWV, over JFK. I asked for and got 5500. The controller asked me if I was sure I wanted that. That certainly sounded ominous! He said, "You can have it, but be very, very careful because of the traffic coming into Newark." Was he ever right. There was a line of jets going north to south at nearly my altitude. I probably shouldn't say this, but I could almost see into the windows of one.

The previous controller had told me he wouldn't give me clearance unless I stayed at exactly 5500, not one foot above or one foot below. I was having a problem with my altimeter being 200 - 300 feet off (that's another whole story), which added an interesting dimension to the problem. I don't think I exhaled until I was past Manhattan.

The view was spectacularly clear, and of course I forgot to charge the battery in my camera today, so I have no pictures.

I will not be taking the west/east route again. East/west was not so bad this morning at 6500. There was traffic, but not as much as at 5 p.m. It was still pretty stressful. I really wanted 4500, but had to go higher because of clouds. I think, all in all, it's easier to go west to JFK, make a left and go to Colt's Neck.

Hi Toby,

I did think of you when I flew over last Thursday. I was actually above the class B at 9500', but my route was about twice as long as yours. I've had good luck using 4500'SW and 3500'NE in the PA-12, but those flights were all between MD and CT. SW bound they would give me JFK direct Colts Neck. NE bound they usually ran me up west of EWR and N bound until west of LGA, then direct LGA and on course.

KHVN to KABE you could go Direct Carmel, Direct Sparta, Direct. You stay outside the TCA . . . errr Class B and and it adds all of 4 miles to you trip. In any case, sounds like you did just fine, stay at your assigned altitude and the jets won't hit you. Actually they won't hit you anyway since it is a serious career limiting manuever, and you are probably safer under positive control in the class B than skirting the edges with everyone else who doesn't want to fly in the class B.

All in all I've found NY to be very accomodating of VFR traffic, and PHL to BOS IFR adds 20% to the trip as they start you out NW bound. Glad you had a chance to fly, I was ground bound looking up.

Arnold,

Your post made me feel much better. I had another flight log with me with the route you mentioned -- KHWV - CMK - SAX - ABE. I was actually leaning toward going in that direction because, as you say, there was little difference in mileage, time, or fuel used, but there was broken-overcast all up in that area yesterday early morning, POU and HPN and what have you, and I didn't want to chance it. Does everyone have 37 ASOS numbers programmed into their cell phones, as I do??? :) Anyway, those numbers are very handy prior to takeoff.

Yes, I, too, prefer talking to ATC, even if they are crabby sometimes.

Sometimes I can't settle down after these high-stress trips, but then I think of all the good experience I'm getting. It makes it easier the next time.

Toby said:
Arnold,

Does everyone have 37 ASOS numbers programmed into their cell phones, as I do??? :) Anyway, those numbers are very handy prior to takeoff.

Yes, I, too, prefer talking to ATC, even if they are crabby sometimes.

Sometimes I can't settle down after these high-stress trips, but then I think of all the good experience I'm getting. It makes it easier the next time.

ASOS has phone numbers? :)

I guess I'm old fashioned. If I'm concerned with the weather I make one last call to flight service before take off, just one call gets 'em all. Then I always have 122.2 and 122.0 available in flight.

It will certainly make it easier the next time.

Keep flying safely.
Arnold

Back