West Texas Spots?

Tmcdavitt

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Tmcdavitt
Fellow Texas POA'ers
I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a good spot to fly into somewhere west of San Antonio (or anywhere else) in order to show my little ones the Milky Way (amongst other things). The ideal location would have a 3000' + runway with a hotel close by (little ones don't "rough-it" well), fuel on the field, and possibly a good place to eat. I'm confident that there are several places - I just don't know of any and I'm not particularly sure that scouring foreflight is the most efficient way of finding a place (although that's what I've been doing). So please, let me know of your favorite places in this excellent state! Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a bit out of the way to get to The DFW area, but sure; i always have at least one seat open.

I was kidding, I would be hard pressed to get out.
I love astronomy. Dad used to have this crazy scope w/ a ~30 inch mirror.

We would take out to the remote areas and we could see other galaxies and crazy stuff.
It was really mind blowing.

Fly to Marfa or Alpine (better rental car options at Alpine). Go to a star party at the McDonald Observatory, Fort Davis. Simply stunning night sky, as there ain't much around, and the local community does an outstanding job of controlling light emissions.

You can stay at any of a number of hotels - the Limpia is very nice.

Or, you could fly to Cibolo Creek Ranch, so nice, it hurts. www.CiboloCreekRanch.com

If I had my druthers, I'd move to west Texas, never to leave, but my wife has an opinion on it, too... ;-)

SC - I still have 10 free slices of pizza from that kickstarter Marfa pizza joint you posted some time ago. I did some work down in Presidio several years ago and spent a few nights looking at the Marfa Lights. I also spent a day running around Ft Davis when I had a day to kill.

I'm afraid that the kids might not be old enough to truly appreciate all that Marfa/Alpine has to offer, yet....

Cibolo Creek looks really nice - I forgot about that place.... I might have to make a long weekend trip.

Eldorado is close into town and has cheap fuel. Can't speak to hotels or nighttime lighting.

Sonora is a pretty good place; any lights outside of town are mostly from either I-10 or the oil&gas rigs in the area. Once you've seen the skies above, you should check out the depths below at Caverns of Sonora. Call ahead and make arrangements for the airport courtesy van.

Last edited:
If you go to frederiskburg be sure to call way in advance, u don't want to get there and be sold out. Aransas and mustang beach have great airports, Jay owns Amelia's landing In Aransas and have courtesy car from the airport, I do breakfast Saturday's in Lufking, ever flow. East? Slidell in La great steaks by airport, fell free to pm I flight at least 10 hrs a week I'm based BPT / GLS depending on work load.

If u meet me at BPT crawfish is on me ;)

Last edited:
Comanche flyer, I may take you up on that offer! I fly over beaumont regularly on my way to Baton Rouge. I haven't flown into Slidell yet but I know where it's at (I have a sister there). I've also been to the Lufkin airport, but I drove there...

I'd suggest E11, but really Alpine would be ideal.

Back