West Texas Flying- Thanks Jeanie!!!

Tex_Mike

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tex_MIKE
I just returned from a driving trip that took me half way across the U.S (Texas to California) and back. I saw all sorts of cool things like the Arizona Crater, the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, L.A, Santa Monica Pier, Warner Brothers Studio, etc…. None of those things were the highlight of my trip. The best part was my flight over the Big Bend area of West Texas with PoA’s very own Jeanie. Jeanie was a real treat to meet and to fly with.

We set off on our adventure bright and early at 7:30 AM. We needed to be wheels up before the West Texas heat set in and the air got to bumpy. Let me tell you, Jeanie’s Super Decathlon is super sweet. As soon as we lifted off from the Alpine airfield we passed a local rancher making a run to town. Jeanie had a quick exchange with the rancher. Apparently all these pilots know each other by name out there. Jeanie explained that a lot of ranchers in this part of Texas have their own planes and landing strips so that they can avoid the very long drive to town.

Flying over West Texas is nothing like I have ever experienced. I felt like we were flying over the moon. There were countless canyons with the occasional valley, most of which had a ranch and landing strip. As we neared the Rio Grande River we had to turn West and then eventually North back to Alpine. We flew for nearly two hours and it felt like we were only in the air for maybe 15 minutes. This was a totally awesome experience.

Thanks Jeanie! I will definitely see you next time I head West!

Hi mike,

Just saw this post... Glad you had a good time. I know where the devils playground is now for sure, so that's what we can check out next time :). !

Oh yeah- I want to go. I need to build up my energy for that 600 mile drive. If only I had a pilots license. Oh wait..............

Heh.

I saw an advertisement for your services, Jeanie, on the bulletin board at E38 last weekend. Some time I am going to be there long enough to meet you - maybe, some day, to get some tailwheel training!

Back