Were to fly to?

snoboy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
snoboy
Hi all, My wife and nephew and I will be flying the 182RG to the Sonoma area June 19-24 for the NASCAR race at Infineon (Sears Point) Raceway. We're flying into Petaluma Municiple and staying in Rohnert Park. The race isn't until Sunday so we'll have 3 days to do whatever we want before. I'd like to take one of those days to take a flight to somewhere fun probably within an hour away is good. I was hoping for some good ideas. I'd want the flight to be a day adventure only as we already have accomodations in Rohnert Park. Thanks

Mike

Weather permitting (watch for coastal stratus) I'd recommend either Monterey (KMRY) or Mendocino (Little River Airport, KLLR). Good sightseeing in both places. Ten years ago, when I made these trips, I never had trouble arranging a crew car in either location. Not sure if that's still the case but I'd definitely give it a try.

Pt. Reyes. No airport, but views to die for. Overfly San Francisco.

You can day-trip up to Lake Tahoe in an hour (each way) in a 182RG. Or overfly Yosemite Valley (land at KMPI or somesuch if you desire).

Great ideas. Thanks for both replies.

Awesome! Kayaking the sea caves at Mendocino looks really cool. Sounds like a winner. Thanks

Last edited:
Khaf Half Moon Bay on the coast flight over Golden Gate.Good Restaurants only a short walk from south end tie downs. About 30 mins from O69 Petaluma. If fog on the coast then Columbia State Park a short walk from O22. Old gold mining town. Little river is a ways from town Obar's taxi posts on POA search little river you will find him. Shelter Cove also Awesome but subject to fog, like the whole coast in the summer.

By the way, and I know you don't plan to, but if you get the itch to fly in to Napa Valley (KAPC) over the weekend, don't. I've done that at a couple times (not for the race) and its pretty thankless. Expect a very long walk from a remote hangar location because the ramp is taken over by all the NASCAR guys.

Although Hendricks' Gulfstreams were pretty cool.

By the way, and I know you don't plan to, but if you get the itch to fly in to Napa Valley (KAPC) over the weekend, don't. I've done that at a couple times (not for the race) and its pretty thankless. Expect a very long walk from a remote hangar location because the ramp is taken over by all the NASCAR guys.

Although Hendricks' Gulfstreams were pretty cool.

*Thanks, I figured as much so I plan on staying away until Sunday when we drive to the track.

*I'll check out Obar's Taxi, thanks

Hi all, I started this thread back on Feb 22nd which seems like a while ago. I now have my Instrument rating and my trip is only 3 1/2 weeks out leaving on June 19. I'm into the flight planning stage and I'm training IFR 2 days a week with my instructor in the 182RG that we're taking. It's a beautiful, well equipped airplane with a very capable Alamo 260hp engine with a 3 blade. It is equipped with a Garmin GNS480 WAAS enabled GPS so I can fly LPV approaches. It has a Garmin GMX 200 Multi Function Display with a TIS system. Plane sports an STEC50 autopilot complete with GPS steering. Darn thing flies holding patterns. It has XM weather and music, live georeferenced Jepp charts and 2 spot oxy. I love this plane.
We will leave Renton at around 9am Wednesday fly a 167nm leg and land in Salem for a quick fuel and a potty stop plus my nephew wants to land there, it's one of the areas he deals with as a controller for Seattle Center. After Salem we'll fly a 290nm leg to Red Bluff Ca. We'll eat lunch there at Valeigh's Airpark Restaurant and refuel. Then our last leg is a fairly short 116nm stretch into Petaluma O69 airport where we'll park the plane. I contacted the airport manager to get details on how to pay the 5 day parking fee. They just leave an envelope on the airplane for you.
Thursday will be a drive into San Francisco for Fisherman's Warf and hopefully a trip to Alcatraz. I took some of your suggestions and decided Friday we'll go sea kayaking up at Mendocino requiring a nice flight into Little River Airport. If the weather is really nice I'd like to blast up to Shelter Cove for some photos from the air least a taxi back landing. Unless it's socked in down near minimums I'll be shooting the RNAV 29 approach in but if it's CAVU we'll be VFR. I contacted Rex at O bar 11 Enterprises charter service to get the skinny on ground transport from the airport to the beach, it's very straight forward, call him and he'll be there in a reasonable amount of time. I'm guaranteed not to miss my flight out. Saturday is Winery day and a drive out to Bodega Bay. I at least need a cup of coffee at The Tides where they sought refuge from The Birds:rofl: Last we'll head to the NASCAR race on Sunday for a fun day at the track. We'll l fly home on Monday.

Last edited:
I am really enjoying your trip, and I only read about it! :D

Not sure of your level of love for racing, but if you are interested there is a USAC Midget Race in Hanford on Saturday Night. I might be flying down there from Napa and back. An Engineer from Stewart Haas, who used to race for me, is coming in for the weekend it appears he is going to be racing that night in a midget and I have offered to fly him from Napa to Hanford and back that day/night.

Also on Sunday after the NASCAR race, Petaluma Speedway (3/8th mile dirt oval) is running a special Sunday night show. We will have one of our cars racing that night as well (at least it appears that way right now).

Other local shows on Saturday night that are close to Sonoma would include Antioch Speedway, they are running a $2500 to win Mod race and a $2000 to win Late Model race. It has not been unheard of for the likes of Ken Schrader to show up at that race.

Other race tracks running over the weekend within a short flight would be Silver Dollar Speedway in Chico, CA (Friday) and Placerville Speedway in Placerville, CA(Saturday). Both tracks are dirt and feature sprint cars, with crate late models on the undercard. If you are interested in any of these shows let me know, I can help you with logistics.

Not sure of your level of love for racing, but if you are interested there is a USAC Midget Race in Hanford on Saturday Night. I might be flying down there from Napa and back. An Engineer from Stewart Haas, who used to race for me, is coming in for the weekend it appears he is going to be racing that night in a midget and I have offered to fly him from Napa to Hanford and back that day/night.

Also on Sunday after the NASCAR race, Petaluma Speedway (3/8th mile dirt oval) is running a special Sunday night show. We will have one of our cars racing that night as well (at least it appears that way right now).

Other local shows on Saturday night that are close to Sonoma would include Antioch Speedway, they are running a $2500 to win Mod race and a $2000 to win Late Model race. It has not been unheard of for the likes of Ken Schrader to show up at that race.

Other race tracks running over the weekend within a short flight would be Silver Dollar Speedway in Chico, CA (Friday) and Placerville Speedway in Placerville, CA(Saturday). Both tracks are dirt and feature sprint cars, with crate late models on the undercard. If you are interested in any of these shows let me know, I can help you with logistics.

Thanks, I will see how my two trip mates feel. Me well I'm a huge race fan maybe not so much my wife and nephew. I head out to the midwest to my 'ol Army buddies each year for dirt racing. This summer will be the Praire Dirt Classic at American Legion Speedway in Fairbury Il. for some World of Outlaw Late Models. I've been a Ken Schrader fan for years. What airport do you use for Antioch? I could easily see us going to the Petaluma track. In fact I had already checked it's schedule and was curious what they would be racing on Sunday night?

Last edited:
Buchannon field in Concord would be the closest airport to Antioch, then about a 15 minute ride.

On Sunday night in Petaluma they are running a 150 lap enduro race, which is on the opposite end of the spectrum from what you will watch earlier that day. Although the race at Petaluma will undoubtably be more entertaining.

Buchannon field in Concord would be the closest airport to Antioch, then about a 15 minute ride.

On Sunday night in Petaluma they are running a 150 lap enduro race, which is on the opposite end of the spectrum from what you will watch earlier that day. Although the race at Petaluma will undoubtably be more entertaining.

Street stocks and the like? Dirt track racing is definitely one of the highest levels of entertainment.

Street stocks and the like? Dirt track racing is definitely one of the highest levels of entertainment.

Having grown up (and still live in) Petaluma -- the sound of the speedway on warm summer nights always reminds me of my youth.

I think you mentioned that you were staying in Rohnert Park. I'd suggest planning meals in Petaluma where there are lots more local food choices. Rohnert Park is more the Olive Garden/Burger King variety.

Having grown up (and still live in) Petaluma -- the sound of the speedway on warm summer nights always reminds me of my youth.

I think you mentioned that you were staying in Rohnert Park. I'd suggest planning meals in Petaluma where there are lots more local food choices. Rohnert Park is more the Olive Garden/Burger King variety.

Sam I wanted to stay right in Petaluma, and next year when I repeat the trip I will. I had to compromise with Mrs. B as she is a Hilton Honors memeber and insisted that we stay in the Hampton Inn and Suites which is only up in Rohnert Park. Petaluma is where I want to eat and hang out. I have a plan to visit a couple motels in Petaluma so she can inspect/approve so I can pick for the following year. Any recommendations?

Also can I get an Oxygen bottle filled at the airport?

Are you getting Cold Pit Passes for Sunday? If you are, I can set you up with a crew member for Ryan Newmans car. I am sure he would be happy to meet you and show you what he can. We also know an engineer on Danika Patricks car, although I am not sure if he is making this trip.

Are you getting Cold Pit Passes for Sunday? If you are, I can set you up with a crew member for Ryan Newmans car. I am sure he would be happy to meet you and show you what he can. We also know an engineer on Danika Patricks car, although I am not sure if he is making this trip.

I'll can certainly get pit passes... What would we do just show up at Newman's pit and the crewman would sorta be expecting us?

I would have you send me your cell number and give you his, he is a good kid who used to race for me. Let me know.

Oh by the way, traffic around Sear's Point is incredibly horrible on race Sunday. You really need to get there very early in the morning to avoid sitting on one of the roadways and missing the start of the race, and you need to plan on sitting in traffic for several hours just to get out of the immediate area. You really have no control over where they park you, and depending on where you get parked, you may or may not leave on the side of the hill that you need to. Most inbound traffic enters on Highway 121, and some select traffic enters on Lakeville Road. Departing traffic is evenly split between the two entrances.

Oh by the way, traffic around Sear's Point is incredibly horrible on race Sunday. You really need to get there very early in the morning to avoid sitting on one of the roadways and missing the start of the race, and you need to plan on sitting in traffic for several hours just to get out of the immediate area. You really have no control over where they park you, and depending on where you get parked, you may or may not leave on the side of the hill that you need to. Most inbound traffic enters on Highway 121, and some select traffic enters on Lakeville Road. Departing traffic is evenly split between the two entrances.

Sounds like Darlington. Does most traffic depart to the south on 121 after? We'll be departing to the north after. So I bought reserved parking which at best puts us in the far left lane of gate 7 and then sends us to lot 12 or 13. We probably going to go on Saturday to work on an exit strategy for Sunday.

Sounds like Darlington. Does most traffic depart to the south on 121 after? We'll be departing to the north after. So I bought reserved parking which at best puts us in the far left lane of gate 7 and then sends us to lot 12 or 13. We probably going to go on Saturday to work on an exit strategy for Sunday.

Most traffic does depart South on the 37. If you're going to the North it will be a lot easier, and it won't make a big difference if you get out on the 121 or Lakeville (you're screwed if you're dumped on Lakeville and are going South.) If you're headed up the 101 corridor, then the 101 should be pretty wide open by the time you get there.

Sam I wanted to stay right in Petaluma, and next year when I repeat the trip I will. I had to compromise with Mrs. B as she is a Hilton Honors memeber and insisted that we stay in the Hampton Inn and Suites which is only up in Rohnert Park. Petaluma is where I want to eat and hang out. I have a plan to visit a couple motels in Petaluma so she can inspect/approve so I can pick for the following year. Any recommendations?

Also can I get an Oxygen bottle filled at the airport?

Good question on the oxygen. Mangon Aviation does all the work on our plane. FF says they provide oxygen.

As far as hotels go, the main one is the Sheraton which is right on the Petaluma Marina. There are a couple of smaller ones at the north end of town. There are also some boutique hotels closer to downtown as well. We send friends to Sheraton, but understand that's not compatible with Hilton. As far as restaurants are concerned, I generally agree with how Yelp has sorted things out. Most of the good places are centered around downtown. I'd be happy to provide specific recommendations if you're interested in something in particular.

Well we're back safe and sound. We had an absolutely incredible vacation. I'm pretty tired so I'll just cover our return flight for now. We launched IFR out of Petaluma. I had planned to fly up to Red Bluff and stop for lunch and bathroom. We get to Red Bluff and the wind is 20kts gusting 30knts but fortunately it's right down the runway so I went ahead and landed. What a disappointment, the restaurant had already closed at 2:00 the bathrooms were under construction and it was just plain windy as hell. We went ahead and topped off with fuel and launched for home. I knew we were going to get really hungry so we agreed to head to Salem. We climbed to 12000 to try and get above the tops but still remained IMC for most of the trip over the mountains. I was already gun shy about airport restaurants closing mid afternoon (as Petaluma closes at 3:00 and we missed that one too on the way down) so when we got within range we called UNICOM and they verified 9:00 closing time whew, we diverted to Salem and had a nice meal there. We were IMC about 75% of todays trip coming home. We got lucky with a tail wind and we were flying with a ground speed any where from 155-175 kts burning about 12 GPH once we were straight and level. With 2 stops we ended up with about with 5.4 hrs. on the Hobbs and 4.2 on the tach which is what we pay in our flying club. Super great experience, I filed, programed the GPS and flew the plane while I got a good schooling watching and listening to my nephew run the radios.

Last edited:
Congratulations. Looking forward to a PIREP on Little River. Haven't been there for years.

Congratulations. Looking forward to a PIREP on Little River. Haven't been there for years.

PIREP on Little River... We decided to drive the Coast Hwy 1 up to Mendocino. We cruised through Bodega Bay, got some BBQ ribs at an outdoor grill at the Surf Market in the in the town of Gualala. Headed up to Mendocino and had an absolutely awesome time Sea Kayaking http://www.kayakmendocino.com/ easily worth the 50 bucks, I highly recommend it. So we didn't make the trip to the Little River airport but we did complete all the "stuff I had planned and it was great.
Spent 3 hrs. on Alcatraz, ate a killer lunch on Fisherman's Warf, rode a Cable Car from downtown to up town San Francisco, Visited Haight Ashbury, Watched a thief run by with cops on foot after him, they caught him 2 minutes later. Flew lots of IMC down and back. Had great tail winds, note ground speed on GPS. 175 was the highest we got to but 160 was common throughout the trip. Got to use my new oximeter and run on Oxygen at 10000 -12000 feet. bla bla bla. One of my best vacas ever

Attachments

• Kayak Mendocino 005.JPG
    Kayak Mendocino 005.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • Kayak Mendocino 056.JPG
    Kayak Mendocino 056.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • Kayak Mendocino 037.JPG
    Kayak Mendocino 037.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • From my phone 3292.jpg
    From my phone 3292.jpg