We're landing! We're out of gas.

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
NEW YORK (Reuters) - An American Airlines flight was diverted to New York early on Thursday after the crew reported a suspicious passenger in what the FBI said was a misunderstanding.

CNN said security agents boarded the plane and took a man off. The network said the pilot initially told passengers the plane did not have enough fuel.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070712/ts_nm/flight_diverted_dc;_ylt=AukwfoKJ0PBBj3uUKB6QHD6s0NUE

That's why those Captains get those bars. Able to think on their feet. :D

Except now if a flight really does have to land because of a fuel problem, the passengers who've read this will think it's really because they have a terrorist on board! :hairraise:

....SNIP....American Flight 136 from Los Angeles to London made an emergency landing "out of an abundance of caution" at JFK Airport at 2:30 a.m. after a flight attendant identified a suspicious passenger, TSA said....SNIP....
They already flew over 3,000 miles. They were more than half way to London. When did they see this guy getting off the crew bus and bypassing security? In LA! And how did they identify this guy?
Now really. If the man was suspicious, they should have dealt with it a whole lot sooner than Newfoundland.

That was pretty ingenious. They told a whole plane-load of passengers they don't know how to plan for fuel requirements. There may have been a private pilot or two on board thinking, "These guys can't be that stupid!"

If they had to say anything, it should have been "precautionary landing to investigate mechanical issues."

Last I heard, there was no issue. The guy had never been on this bus as was stated by an employee. :rolleyes:

"American Flight 136 from Los Angeles to London made an emergency landing "out of an abundance of caution" at JFK Airport"

More like an abundance of paranoia. What have we let ourselves become? Very sad.

Its a good thing some VLJ did not hinder their landing

"Lady's and Gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. It turns out that the little ruckus we had is just the federal agents taking custody of a terrorist type in 39C. The situation is now under control. You'll each find in your overhead compartment a baseball bat. If that hooligan gets loose, you have my express permission, um, make that orders to pulp him. And I'm sorry for bouncing everyone else off the ceiling when the guy went nuts but he kinda had it coming. Like I said earlier, keep your seatbelts on unless you're a bad guy. Have a nice flight."

Hmmm... I'm too honest. I guess I just don't have the social skills to fly a cattle car... :dunno:

Back