Went skiing today

\__[Ô]__/

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
david
With all the snow passing through, one of the local taildraggers is now on skis. I finally got a chance to try it out. It was an interesting experience. Requires a bit more planning while on the ground. There are no brakes, so you're relying on friction with the snow to slow down and stop. But you can't stay stopped too long or the snow will freeze around the skis and lock you in place.

The grass runway only has about half the usual length because you have to hold short of the intersecting concrete runway, which the city was kind enough to plow. There's a significant slope on that half of the runway, so it was takeoff downhill, land uphill.

Once off the ground, the plane handled fine, but didn't seem to climb very well. It's not a strong climber to begin with and the skis probably don't help. In flight they are tilted up 15-20 degrees (for ease of landing) which probably adds a lot of drag.

The snow was melting rapidly, revealing a lot of grass. Unless it snows again soon, i probably won't get a chance to fly it on skis again soon. But it was a fun to try something different.

\__[Ô]__/;1103138 said:
so it was takeoff downhill, land uphill.

Interesting ...I didn't know there was a hill in Iowa :wink2:

I got a ride in a buddy's Stinson on skis a couple years ago. They're a different animal, that's for sure. It was fun to land on the lake in front of Wayzata, Mn and walk into town for a cup of coffee. But rather than drink it down, we hurried back to the plane to fire it up before it cooled off. It would have been a 1st class pain in the keester if that thing decided not to start. Pluses and minuses to everything...

2lcqtfd.jpg

Iowa has hills... not big ones, but they are there. For the takeoff/landing, i figured every little bit helped.
I hear you on the engine starting. That's always a concern of mine in cold weather. This one started perfectly the first try, which was a surprise for me.

over at boone? i always wanted to do that but never got a chance. sounds like fun. i know some guys down at morningstar used to go on skis in the winter and do t&g's on saylorville lake.

you could do some real fun skiplane flying down here after tonight...

and re: hills & Iowa, just ask any out of stater who has ridden RAGBRAI.

Yep, at boone in the champ there.

BTW, rumour is Morningstar is closing. Don't know details as to when or why, but it sounded like its happening quite soon.

Google "RAGBRAI" and click "Images" ...that's right up there with burning man on my list of things that must get done!

I'm not a bike rider and tend to have other things i'd rather do in the summer but i've been lucky enough to be living in an overnight town twice. It is quite an experience. 1997ish the RAGBRAI crowd basically destroyed my dad's bar. When I was in college and it came through Ames we had a good time hanging out at Chris Jones' house with Chip and his bike crew from Arkansas.

\__[Ô]__/;1103852 said:
Yep, at boone in the champ there.

BTW, rumour is Morningstar is closing. Don't know details as to when or why, but it sounded like its happening quite soon.

Is Morning Star the FBO at Boone?

no, morningstar is a little grass airport on the north side of des moines. halfish mile long, in the des moines river flood plain, and right next to the interstate bypass on the north side of town.

CY Aviation is still the FBO in Boone, I think.

Neato!
Did it look like this :)

That wasn't me, but that's the plane and airport. You can see him trying to stay in the same tracks during take off to reduce the friction and get airborne faster.

Is Morning Star the FBO at Boone?

Morningstar is a private grass strip just north of des moines. There are 40-50 aircraft based there.

\__[Ô]__/;1103935 said:
Morningstar is a private grass strip just north of des moines. There are 40-50 aircraft based there.

Thought it was public? But, I sure wouldn't want to be based there - Closed all winter unless you're on skis, and it always seems to be flooded for at least a month if not two in the spring.

Ski flying sure is fun, tho! Another thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is that with no brakes, your runup is on the move... Quick mag check, and you're on your way!

Thought it was public? But, I sure wouldn't want to be based there - Closed all winter unless you're on skis, and it always seems to be flooded for at least a month if not two in the spring.

Ski flying sure is fun, tho! Another thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is that with no brakes, your runup is on the move... Quick mag check, and you're on your way!

I know it was privately owned, but i think it may have been public access. I don't know as i've never landed there.

The runup wasn't a big deal for me, i didn't have to do it on the takeoff roll. I know sometimes that's needed, but it took about 1500rpm to maintain a normal taxi speed with the snow and the upward slope. I guess that will depend on the condition of the snow.

I got a ride in a buddy's Stinson on skis a couple years ago. They're a different animal, that's for sure. It was fun to land on the lake in front of Wayzata, Mn and walk into town for a cup of coffee.

Oh man, that's so cool! It would be fun to land on Lake Minnetonka and walk up to Sunsets for sunday brunch. :D I've wanted to do that on a floatplane.... too bad I don't own a float plane.

Back