Went for a ride in a new RV-12 today!

TazzyTazzy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mitch
Van's RV is touring their new built RV-12 here in Sacramento today for afew hours. WOW!

My brief history: PPL student, only flown in 172 (i'm 6'4) since Im too tall for a 152.

WOW! Run up time was short and quick, just checking both digital magnetos. No mixture control. Dead simple.

Down the runway, and we're in the air before I knew it, climbing 900 feet/min is crazy! 500 AGL, I took the controls. Holly god, that thing is responsive. It's difference between a minivan and a sports car different. Light, small movements and the thing just went. Felt like the first time I got on a sports bike (i ended up buying one 3 months later).

Did two steep turns right after the other (his controls). Omg, the roll rate was amazing! I had to have a hand at that, and did it myself. WOW!

Did slow flight, and shesh, talk about control. Nothing compared to the 172 with it's short control surface areas. Had positive control in slow flight and semi-steep turns! I told him my CFI would be yelling at me for banking so much in slow flight.

Sooo.. Who wants to go in partnership with me on one? Fully loaded, brand new off the line - $120k, no pre-buy needed. LOL

They make a good product at a good price. No comparison to an old 172.

They make a good product at a good price. No comparison to an old 172.

Yeah. Seemed nice. I did feel more comfy in a 172 as it has a little more leg room. Lets see. Compared to an old 172.. No ADF, no VORs, no dual radio, no vacuum pump...etc..

The panel is so clean looking. I'm used to flying with a second radio. Getting ATIS/AWOS while still monitoring flight watch. And being able to swap between 4 frequencies quickly is handle. I guess you get used to having only one radio pretty quickly - just asking/telling that you need to get weather to flight watch/tower.

Very similar experience when I got to ride in an RV-9. Too bad you cannot rent one

aerobatic... 'don't think so, at least with normal Rotax, which doesn't like inverted or negative-g flying.

wow sounds awesome! Id love to fly a newer plane, instead of these 40 year old planes although great would like to see some newer technology and cleaner and nice!

Whatever you do, don't accept any rides in an RV-8.
;)

I really know nothing about the Van Air series. Are these acrobatic?

Update on an earlier post. I was doing some reading, and the Garmin radio installed on the new built RV-12s allows you to monitor the second frequency in the flip-flop. So, no real need for second radio except for queuing them up ahead.

The RV-12 is not aerobatic. Neither is the RV-9 or RV-10 but the rest of the RV series are very aerobatic. I am building a RV-12 and it is a fun little plane. I did a demo ride in the new RV-14 at the Vans factory while I was out at the recent RV-12 Expo in Oregon. It too is incredibly fun but not a LSA like the RV-12. As far as renting them, they could be rented if someone in flight schools or flying clubs bought the new S-LSA models that can be used for flight instruction and can be offered for hire.

Here is a good reference on the entire RV series
http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-flying.htm

Carl

I really know nothing about the Van Air series. Are these acrobatic?

Update on an earlier post. I was doing some reading, and the Garmin radio installed on the new built RV-12s allows you to monitor the second frequency in the flip-flop. So, no real need for second radio except for queuing them up ahead.

The RV-8 is fully aerobatic, very responsive, and extremely efficient. (It gets better gas mileage than my truck.) It's also the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

If you allow yourself to be taken for a flight in one, your checkbook will be soon depleted. They don't call it "the most expensive free airplane ride" for nothing.
:) :) :)

The RV-8 is fully aerobatic...
Van used to recommend against doing snaps, and I don't know anyone who does sustained outside maneuvers but it is stressed for them. Aerobatic? Yes. Fully? Not by design or per the designer's recommendations.

Nauga,
who always avoids absolutes

I'm 6'4" and fit in a 152. Is your 6'4" different than mine or is your 152 smaller?
:D

Last edited:
I'm 6'4" and fit in a 152. Is your 6'4" different than mine or is your 152 smaller?
:D

I don't know about his 6'4" but length of legs and torso vary quite a bit from person to person of the same overall height. My club's chief instructor and I are almost exactly the same height but he grumbles a after I fly because I set the seat all the way down to keep from bumping my head. I've got a long torso and sit "tall in the saddle".

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Van used to recommend against doing snaps, and I don't know anyone who does sustained outside maneuvers but it is stressed for them. Aerobatic? Yes. Fully? Not by design or per the designer's recommendations.

Nauga,
who always avoids absolutes
True that. You're not going to see an RV-8 in unlimited aerobatic competitions. It's not built for that.

But for the other 99.6% of pilots, it is "fully aerobatic". And fun as all get-out to fly.

Anyone know for sure how many "G"s an RV-12 can pull? I can't seem to find the number anywhere.
Some of the other LSAs are not very robust.

Anyone know for sure how many "G"s an RV-12 can pull? I can't seem to find the number anywhere.
According to the POH posted on the Vans website the load factor limits are +4/-2. The limit is two lines above the placard "AEROBATICS PROHIBITED!"

Nauga,
who reads and heeds

There is no mixture???

My impression is that the only Rotax option in the '12 is the 912ULS, not the FADEC IS.

My dad's LSA is going to be basically the same thing. I can't wait to fly it. I tried to talk him into an RV12, but he wanted the Evektor.

There is no mixture???

My impression is that the only Rotax option in the '12 is the 912ULS, not the FADEC IS.

My dad's LSA is going to be basically the same thing. I can't wait to fly it. I tried to talk him into an RV12, but he wanted the Evektor.

The carb mixture control is pressure sensitive and automatic.

According to the POH posted on the Vans website the load factor limits are +4/-2. The limit is two lines above the placard "AEROBATICS PROHIBITED!"

Nauga,
who reads and heeds

I was the first one to admit to rolling an RV-12, piece of cake. :D It is a great plane as the OP found out.

The carb mixture control is pressure sensitive and automatic.

I wasn't aware of that, interesting. Thanks.

Does the ULS use carb heat? Or is the carb mounted in a location that doesn't require it?

The RV-12 is a good airplane. However, what you are describing you would say the same thing regarding most experimental aircraft. They perform better and handle better than any certified equivalent.if you like the sporty handling, try a Glasair!

Last week I e mailed Vans for the list of local RV 12 builders ,haven't heard from them yet. Business must be too good .:confused:

Last week I e mailed Vans for the list of local RV 12 builders ,haven't heard from them yet. Business must be too good .:confused:

Calling them worked for me. There was only one within 75 miles. Loving our -10.

The ULS is fuel injected. It also does not have a mixture control. Don

The ULS uses carburetors (and does have carb heat). The 912iS and 912iS Sport use direct injection.

Back