Went Flying

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
Well, I didn't; but a prospective buyer of my C-150M did, on Nov. 20.
#1 = Battery was down; hand-propped it.
#2 = Very smooth touchdown.
#3 = Do you see anything unusual about this photo?

He liked it

HR

Last edited:
You trying to push start it? The main gear is splayed? Wheels on snow?

That is one fine looking a/c.

Last edited:
Richard said:
You trying to push start it? The main gear is splayed? Wheels on snow?

That is one fine looking a/c.

Yeah; nice bird. But look a little closer at the earlier, last photo.
??????????????

And, below: This is what happens when ya use too slow a shutter speed(to get depth of field). The camera didn't move -- look at the background -- but the plane did. :rolleyes:

HR

Ghery said:
Towing a plane with a snowmobile? That's unique. :D

Ghery gets the brass ring. Explanation: there was a slight snow drift between the taxi area and where 148 had been tied. We had pushed the plane out from tie-down. Later, the PIC who went up with the prospective buyer didn't want to taxi over the "bump" for fear of the prop tips making contact. So, he had his buddy bring the PIC's snow-mobile over and tied a line to the plane, getting an assist at the tail of the plane. It worked like a charm.

HR

Ghery said:
But is it unusual? I would think while in cold environs with several inches of new snow a snowmobile put to the task wouldn't be unusual at all.

Upon further review of the photo I noticed the snowmobile track is curved to the left, the guy is pushing from the right, and the gear is splayed as if there is a downward force on the a/c. The inference is the left main is really stuck and the snow mobile doesn't have enough traction to offset a torque induced during the pull. I don't know anything about how snow mobiles handle.

Richard said:
But is it unusual?

Upon further review of the photo I noticed the snowmobile track is curved to the left, the guy is pushing from the right, and the gear is splayed as if there is a downward force on the a/c. The inference is the left main is really stuck and the snow mobile doesn't have enough traction to offset a torque induced during the pull. I don't know anything about how snow mobiles handle.

Whereas the tow rope had a tendency to pull downward on the nose gear, the prospect was exerting downward force on the tail so as to try to keep the nose wheel up -- in deference to the tow rope action -- as it rode over the bump in the snow.

HR

Lawreston said:

He liked it

HR
Wait, Jerry, what did I miss? Prospective buyer? Didn't you just buy the thing?

Ken Ibold said:
Wait, Jerry, what did I miss? Prospective buyer? Didn't you just buy the thing?

A lot on my menu(as usual), Ken. My Garmin 296 should shortly be on its way from Texas. That's to go into the C-150M.............unless...................
but in several weeks I'll be in the market for another plane. For certain, I don't need two. However, there's this C-172L Skyhawk with 3700 TTAF; Zero time SMOH(naw; must be at least 15 or 20 because I know several who have flown it SMOH) which attracts my interest. I'm familiar with the plane, having survived its trimming of the trees in 2004.

HR

Ghery said:

Well, now...you see, I noticed the snowmobile right away, but around here, towing anything with a snowmobile is quite normal!

lol!

terry

Lawreston said:

He liked it

HR

I think I'd opt for attaching the tow rope to the inner part of the prop or at least, raise it up higher on the nose wheel strut to reduce the lever arm forces.

Last edited:
HARLEY I was going to say the plane being towed by a snowmobile but the line from the front gear to the snowmobile was quite obvious to me so I realized that was not what was out of kilter.
Upon further inspection I now note that you have cropped out all of the coconut plams from the photograph! Why did you do that?

What's up with the prop in the first picture? It doesn't look straight... like a 3-blade prop with one blade missing or something.

Troy Whistman said:
What's up with the prop in the first picture? It doesn't look straight... like a 3-blade prop with one blade missing or something.

Mike was hand-propping. She started on his second attempt. I suspect that picture may have been of his first attempt and the prop recoiled from compression(coupled with a, perhaps, slow shutter speed).

HR

Back