Wellbutrin XR and SR

WingmanMed

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
WingmanMed
As of today, Wellbutrin is now an acceptable medication for consideration in the antidepressant/SSRI program.

Small step in the right direction. I hope they continue to shift their medical policy’s into the 21st century.

As of today, Wellbutrin is now an acceptable medication for consideration in the antidepressant/SSRI program.
That’s interesting. Technically not an SSRI. For some ppl this stuff works great. Curious if any other non SSRI in the program such as duloxetine, venalefaxine? Always good to see FAA med making it a bit easier for ppl

May I conclude the use of bupropion/Welbutrin for weight loss would be acceptable as well?

That’s interesting. Technically not an SSRI. For some ppl this stuff works great. Curious if any other non SSRI in the program such as duloxetine, venalefaxine? Always good to see FAA med making it a bit easier for ppl

They changed it to antidepressant/SSRI. Yes, they are considering more medications, but they are not yet approved. Possibly by the end of the year. But nothing official other then they are moving in that direction and officially reviewing other medications.

May I conclude the use of bupropion/Welbutrin for weight loss would be acceptable as well?

it wasn’t specifically addressed at the conference, but generally approved medications can be used off label so long as the condition is safe. But you can expect to go through the same requirements as someone using them on label. Because honestly, many doctors use antidepressants “off label” only to not tell the patient they have a mental health issue.

...which means the neuropsychology evlauation to show that the executive function is not impaired by the wellbutrin. Buproprion did not have the "greatest" profile in the index neuropscyhology proposal (2006) so there will be some individuals who cannot make it while on wellbutrin.....

Last edited:
...which means the neuropsychology evlauation to show that the executive function is not impaired by the wellbutrin. Buproprion did not have the "greatest" profile in the index neuropscyhology proposal (2006) so there will be some individual sho cannot make it while on wellbutrin.....

That's fascinating. This will be interesting to watch as it unfolds.

Back