Well that was strange

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
Myself and @Mtns2SkiesBetterHalf were on our way to our hangar on the airport (RYV) We stopped outfront and were watching a plane come in to runway 29 (2800' long). The winds were 33018G28KT and this was at 5:20pm which is well into darkness this time of year. At first we couldn't tell what type of plane. We watched it have a horrible bouncy landing with a balloon and then it powered up to do a go around. The kicker is, it was some type of jet. Maybe an early citation or cirrus jet or something of that sort. Again it's dark so we couldn't really tell what it was, but what jet is trying to land on such a short runway in these conditions, does a go around and then doesn't come back?

We tried to look on flightaware to see what was in the area, but couldn't find anything that made much sense, but then again a VFR jet doesn't make much sense either.

Any thoughts? Other resources than flightware to look for this plane?

Or an Air Force pilot like the one that was cleared to land a C 47 at Bolling Air Base, and landed on Washington National instead.

Plenty of both airline and military planes have landed on the wrong field.

Aliens? Mass hallucination on a small scale? 6PC working on a new secret video in his new secret jet?
Santa Claus getting some early practice?

A few years ago I was driving on I-5 in Vancouver WA and did a double-take when I saw a Lear 36 on short final for my then-home field, 3200-foot-long KVUO. Turned out it was the FAA checking the airport's PAPI lights. The Lear only made a low approach, did not land.

Just because a plane isn’t on FA doesn’t mean it’s not IFR. What’s unusual about a VFR jet landing in vmc conditions? Happens all the time. Maybe a newer pilot, **** happens. We all goof up.

Myself and @Mtns2SkiesBetterHalf were on our way to our hangar on the airport (RYV) We stopped outfront and were watching a plane come in to runway 29 (2800' long). The winds were 33018G28KT and this was at 5:20pm which is well into darkness this time of year. At first we couldn't tell what type of plane. We watched it have a horrible bouncy landing with a balloon and then it powered up to do a go around. The kicker is, it was some type of jet. Maybe an early citation or cirrus jet or something of that sort. ...
2800' is a little short for a jet. I think the early Citations were around 2500' for landing. The X is longer. The Cirrus Vision could make it easily. Was it a V-Tail with a backpack engine?

. Was it a V-Tail with a backpack engine?
Lol. I know what a cirrus just looks like. It was too dark to see what it was other than seeing straight wings and hearing a (or multiples) turbofan(s).

Back