Well that was disapointing....

Flyguy8911

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Flyguy8911
Well this is a little disheartening. Today was supposed to be my first day back in the cockpit in about 6 years, but the winds are still around 20kts after the tornado like storm that just blew through a couple days ago so had to make the call not to go up and to reschedule. Really sucks though, cause other than that today is a perfect VFR day and I was really looking forward to doing some pattern work at the very least. All part of the life I guess but damn was it a let down. Here's to hoping Tuesday will be a better day.

What was/has been your biggest disappointment in training so far? What about your best moment?

I recently came back after a much longer break, and I'll tell you that bad weather has followed me around ever since I got back into flying. I think I've cancelled more flights than I've flown in the past 6 months!

But, it's winter now, and winter always seems to bring screwy weather and winds to this area of the country.

Oh so it's your fault its windy in Denver? :D

It's always frustrating when your looking to go flying,and the weather doesn't co operate.

I recently came back after a much longer break, and I'll tell you that bad weather has followed me around ever since I got back into flying. I think I've cancelled more flights than I've flown in the past 6 months!

But, it's winter now, and winter always seems to bring screwy weather and winds to this area of the country.
yeah I had to deal with that a lot too when I was first starting. Was incredibly frustrating. Really hoping that doesn't happen again.

My private training has taken 3 times as long as I planned for, was more expensive than I budgeted, and then I blew the mock checkride and ran out of money, so I still haven't finished. I read all the horror stories about "life getting in the way" and thought "That'll never be me!", until...it was. What's kept me going is what my CFI said after the mock checkride: "It's not like you WON'T do this. You've wanted this since, what, you were 5 years old? It may not happen tomorrow, but you will be a pilot one day. I know you are too passionate for it NOT to happen." It really helped me out to realize that, despite the stumbling block, I am 90% of the way there, and love it too much now to give up on it forever.

My private training has taken 3 times as long as I planned for, was more expensive than I budgeted, and then I blew the mock checkride and ran out of money, so I still haven't finished. I read all the horror stories about "life getting in the way" and thought "That'll never be me!", until...it was. What's kept me going is what my CFI said after the mock checkride: "It's not like you WON'T do this. You've wanted this since, what, you were 5 years old? It may not happen tomorrow, but you will be a pilot one day. I know you are too passionate for it NOT to happen." It really helped me out to realize that, despite the stumbling block, I am 90% of the way there, and love it too much now to give up on it forever.
nice! That's a great attitude to have. This I'll have to adopt it myself

What was/has been your biggest disappointment in training so far? What about your best moment?

Biggest disappointment: Not doing enough of it instead of going to work every day.

Best moments: Solo. Passing Private checkride. Passing Instrument Rating. In that order.

I think today I hit a new record on my Crosswind landing with a 21 direct cross wind component. Wasn't pretty but I was somewhat on the centerline and didn't die... so that's a plus.

My disappointments in training dealt with thinking I had something down only to have issues executing it... performance landings is one specific thing I can think of. I worked through it all in the end, just some days you're off...

I think today I hit a new record on my Crosswind landing with a 21 direct cross wind component. Wasn't pretty but I was somewhat on the centerline and didn't die... so that's a plus
I mean any landing you can walk away from right?

Back