Well, I'm Broke...

jshawley

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Shawley
"The woman thou didst give me, she did make me to eat..." That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it! I still don't think I can afford this addiction, but my wife still thinks I can. So, here it is. I'm considering some panel upgrades, and am brainstorming on how to get rich so's I can overhaul the O-320-E3D.

Hope I don't mess the photo thing up. I don't have an account at any of the photo sites. :redface:

Attachments

• DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    602.4 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    592.4 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCF0095.JPG
    DSCF0095.JPG
    609.7 KB · Views: 90
Hey, when am I going to get a ride?!?!

Just as soon as I can figger out how to land the thing gracefully!:hairraise:

Patrick cleaned it up Saturday, and he, Adam and I went up for about three tries in the pattern, and it wasn't pretty at all:no:. Still working out the differences in the numbers between a "real" plane and a C152 (which is a real plane too, but you know what I mean), and getting my pattern technique down. Of course, it doesn't help that the last time I flew anything was the end of August.

But before you and Tom head west, I promise!:yes:

That is the first one I've noticed with the louvers behind he back window. Are they original? They would be behind the back cabin panel in mine. Do they do any good? Is it a 71 model?. I see it has the control lock like mine, which is a 71. Not many Cherokees did. I found a run-out E2A (IIRC), overhauled it myself (under supervision), put the high compression pistons in if for the 160HP upgtrade. The new parts, inspection and reconditioning of old parts, etc. ran about $7K 3 or 4 years ago. The papers to upgrade the engine and then to install the modified engine in the plane ran $300 from Art Mattson (pipermods.com). The E3D has a different main bearing set up and wasn't eligible for the power uprate. I recognize the Bendix T-12C, same as I have - works great except for the dial parallax with it mounted on the other side of the panel.

Nice plane. When I bought mine, I went with lopresti wingtip lights and a new fin light. Generally speaking, I follow the GM model of more lights, more see, more avoid.
I can see new radios (2 GNS430w), new transponder (gtx 330), and a new elt. Maybe $20k.
Oh, sorry. My wish list.

Nice looking Cherokee 140. I did my private in a '66 model. Does yours still have the roof mounted trim crank? I used to love that setup. As for landing it, 2 turns of up trim from cruise flight gives you an almost hands free glideslope to the runway. Also the hershey wing won't float nearly as much as the taper wing, so these things are pretty easy to set down.

Have fun with the new bird.

Pete

"That is the first one I've noticed with the louvers behind he back window. Are they original? They would be behind the back cabin panel in mine. Do they do any good? Is it a 71 model?. "

Yes it is indeed a '71. It came with air conditioning, which was removed several years ago; that may be why the louvres are where they are in this model. I wondered about the 160 hp stc, whether it can be put into the E3D. I'm hoping that since you worked yours up, that one is now available. The plane started out with the E3A, got STC'd to the E3D. Wonder if that'll make a difference...

"I can see new radios (2 GNS430w), new transponder (gtx 330), and a new elt. Maybe $20k.
Oh, sorry. My wish list."

That's my wish list only if I have some long lost uncle leaving me with a few mega $$!!:D I too am of the GM school of luminescence: I'm thinking of going with pulsing wing landing lights.

"As for landing it, 2 turns of up trim from cruise flight gives you an almost hands free glideslope to the runway."

Wish you'd told me that before Saturday!:eek: What with those 25kt Xwinds, I was still working out the technique. I could almost feel that Lufthansa pilot's pain, the one who scraped the left wing:rolleyes:. (No, I didn't, but I did go around twice.) Yep, it does have the crank; somewhat smaller than a friend's '66 Cherokee.

"I recognize the Bendix T-12C, same as I have - works great except for the dial parallax with it mounted on the other side of the panel."

I may keep it, just to hear baseball games...

Thanks for the comments, compliments, and helpful hints, all!

That ADF receiver belongs in a museum. Just like the one in our club's 1969 Arrow. Talk about OLD! Pure analog tuning.

Have fun!

I like the ADF.

I love PA-28s. I agree with a touch of nose up trim. I also like to land them with just a touch of power.

~ Christopher

I can't believe no one noticed the panic button in the lower right corner...

What's THAT do? :D

I like the ADF.

I love PA-28s. I agree with a touch of nose up trim. I also like to land them with just a touch of power.

~ Christopher

That's because they drop like a rock under 70mph! Comes in handy planting her down in an x-wind though.

Nice bird. Go with a 160 conversion and you'll absolutely love it.

Ditto on the 160 conversion. 180 is nice, but 160 seems like the perfect tradeoff of cost and power to me.

And get the wingtip landing lights with the flasher if you can. Landing at night you'll really appreciate the extra light.

~ Christopher

actually.... trim for a nice 90 knot cruise, and there's your landing config. No fighting with it, smooth to the numbers. GAROOONTEEEEED!

Back