Well, I’m a few steps closer to plane ownership

texasclouds

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
1950 C-170A. This weekend I’m flying commercial to MS to fly it back to TX with a gentleman who has a ton of experience in Cessna taildraggers. My CFI has a hangar that I can rent and also receive some mentoring on ownership. His first plane was a 170A years ago, and I think he is excited about it too. And the best part is my wife is excited as well.

480FA360-A68C-4F57-BCFC-BE9A6B2C2AB2.jpeg

Very nice! Congrats!! You'll have a lot of fun in that plane I am certain.

More pictures of the plane and the trip bringing it home please.

From my observations, it's 10x easier to own an airplane if your spouse is into it. My wife loves our Twin Bonanza (possibly more than I do), makes the budget much less of an "issue" in the marriage.

Really nice looking 170... congratulations!

1950 C-170A. This weekend I’m flying commercial to MS to fly it back to TX with a gentleman who has a ton of experience in Cessna taildraggers. My CFI has a hangar that I can rent and also receive some mentoring on ownership. His first plane was a 170A years ago, and I think he is excited about it too. And the best part is my wife is excited as well.

View attachment 78761
198A955D-4EB8-4741-BF45-B3EDBB711221.jpeg
6F814F3B-E4A7-4035-9FFD-F87725024B61.jpeg
Let me know when you get here!

Last edited:
Congrats! Very nice!

But how will you survive without a magenta line box? LOL

Congrats is an understatement!

What a great plane! I fly her little sister the 140, old Cessna taildraggers leave me weak in the knees and that looks like honey u found!

What a perfect panel! Hope u keep it just that way :)

A bit cold for me right now though. Haha enjoy the flight back home!

A proper plane, congrats!

Also swapping that center DG for a AV30 AI would be a idea...while youre spending money ;)

@texasclouds I’m sooooo envious! What an adventure.

Do you already have the TW, or you are flying back with a CFI and earning it along the way?

Did you do a pre buy? Did you use AOPA Title and escrow or just hand them a cashiers check?

I’m curious how it works in real life.

Congratulations and blue skies tomorrow. Should be AWESOME!!!

I have my TW endorsement, but zero time in this model. Insurance wants 10 hrs dual with cfi prior to covering me while solo and 5 hours solo before covering me with passengers. I’m flying it back with the Cessna 195 Club president. He was there when this plane was refurbished early 2000s. It has a history in Tupelo back to the late 60s.

The conditions are special because the seller is from TX not MS. The plane was moved to MS prior to my deal. I have the money in escrow and after we get it to TX and it is inspected in TX, then the money is released to seller and plane is mine. If the inspection doesn’t go well then I get my money back 100%. I can tell this is a nice plane though.

I really wanted it but the seller would not lower the price after finding low compressions. I trust the mechanic’s recommendation.
Aubie has been an IA for decades, and will shoot you straight, but it’s your decision to make I guess. Better to not have a plane than to have one with issues

It was a different mechanic that did the inspection for me in Houston. Aubie was only hired to move it there (sellers home airport).

I’m pretty bummed that the deal fell through.

It was a different mechanic that did the inspection for me in Houston. Aubie was only hired to move it there (sellers home airport).

Sorry to hear about the deal falling though.

Best thing to do is go buy a NEW FROM FACTORY plane!!! :)

Yea, I know. He said the mechanic did the compression check on a cold engine. You’re supposed to do it hot

Love that ride . I looked at a 1956 170 B , all original with no working radio. Fellow wanted a bit too many $ for it or it would have come home with me.
he has owned it for the past 51 years so I'm thinking he really didn't want to sell it. He is 90 and out of medical.

Beautiful plane! Congratulations!

Back