Weird TFRs today...

tawood

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
While looking at the Cleveland TFR, I noticed a series of weird little TFRs today across Ohio and Indiana...(see pic) What are these?:

upload_2016-7-19_8-23-2.png

TFR's are 'temporary flight restrictions', but that's not important right now.........

I dunno, fires? What if you hover over the tfr or look them up by ID?

e10f02a37be08f6e8589812d49e46050.png

Wow! I'm guessing those TFRs trace a pipeline route. They are purging the pipe for some reason... :dunno:

How would this ever be a hazard to aircraft?
I once was assigned to a MAJOR natural gas leak, where a backhoe had struck a supply line (I don't remember the diameter, but it was big enough that you could hear the gas escaping from a mile away, and actually see it escaping when nearby...distorted the light passing through it up to about 10 feet from ground). The gas company people drove vehicles right up to the leak, and explained that there was no hazard running a vehicle right next to the gas leak, as gas leaks were only explosion-hazardous when contained (like in a house)...of course a fire would be possible if you got right up to the leak with a flame...

TFR's are 'temporary flight restrictions', but that's not important right now.........

I dunno, fires? What if you hover over the tfr or look them up by ID?
I tried that in skyvector, but I guess I should have tried foreflight...

Interesting. I saw those yesterday as well on iflightplanner and thought it was a glitch. That's what I get for thinking...

I also noticed them yesterday while trying to figure out how to get around the RNC TFR. They all say "Jennifer Reams Airscace" whatever that means?

Maybe someone thinks it's safety of flight related due to air density fluctuations OR vertical hazard in case of explosion...

-Option 1 comes from my favorite crackpot Bermuda Triangle myth that methane upwellings decrease density, thus undermining buoyancy and taking all those ships to Davey Jones's locker...

:confused:

Gosh, just south of my home drome. Was thinking of heading that way tonight, but I think I'll head north instead.

We keep needing all the fossil fuels we can generate, and someone decides to vent this to the atmosphere?

The gas company people drove vehicles right up to the leak, and explained that there was no hazard running a vehicle right next to the gas leak, as gas leaks were only explosion-hazardous when contained (like in a house)...of course a fire would be possible if you got right up to the leak with a flame...

Don't know about that. A long time ago, I was a documentary about some guy named Dax who was horribly burned when he and his dad drove their car into a valley where there had been a gas leak.

Interesting. It would not be cool putt putting through an area and catching your fabric wings on fire!

Yeah, looks like they're blowing down or purging a section of big intrastate pipeline/super header. Probably 36" or 42" line. Some high pressure lines we've blown down could be heard for many miles. We in the gas business try to keep these things to a minimum, and we don't want to waste the gas or $$$ either, but sometimes you gotta.

Edit: Looks like the link above explains it all. My bad.

Fascinating. I never heard of this. But I would have to be pretty sure that all the gas was out of a 42 inch line before they'd get me to weld on it!

You mean you wouldn't want to do a hot tie-in?

Just a little bit of positive pressure keeps the fire burning outside the pipe, where the oxygen is. You run away if the fire goes out.

Last edited:
No sir. They couldn't print enough money to even get me to shoot that video. :)

Back