Weird plane emitting green laser

cptpaul12

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Paul F
I live in the Florida Keys and A plane has been flying over all morning. It has no markings and its a white, propped and has red tipped wings. It has two "squares" under the fuselage. A red one and a green or black one. The laser was emitting from the darker square. Ive attached a photo. Anyone have any idea what it could be doing or what it is?

Thanks!

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/f0cgdtNxj][/URL]

Turbine DC3. That's got government contract written all over it.

Maybe it is a pilot getting back at all the dicks that are have been shining green lasers at pilots.

LIDAR work - the DC-3 may actually be cheaper than some of the other airframes usually used for the work - Electra's etc. are expensive...

Probably surveyors. The squares on the belly are the portals where they attach the cameras, infrared gear, etc. The laser is probably the laser rangefinder that determines precise altitude and terrain shape. This is the kind of work that an make high resolution geographic maps and charts, flood and errosion research, geologic stuff, etc.

If it makes you feel any better, it is nothing nefarious. I know what the alphabet soups use. You wouldn't see them doing it.

Was the GOP celebrating....lasers were pinpointing government handout locations for future reference.;)

Kenn Borek Air survey aircraft.

8 posts to politics. Take that **** to the Spin Zone.

I think that is one of the DC3s that Mosquito Abatement operates. The laser might be part of a new flow metering process.

LIDAR is cool. It's easier to get a lidar pass over your property than to pay surveyors to plot contours. We used to make software that extracted the bare earth and structures from the lidar samples (eliminating lesser significant returns such as trees and other vegetation). It's a lot of data but it does lend itself to automated processing.

Back