Weird pilot habits.

I kiss the cowl on my plane and thank her for not killing me. On commercial flights I always drink tomato juice either plain or in a Bloody Mary.

I kiss the cowl on my plane and thank her for not killing me. On commercial flights I always drink tomato juice either plain or in a Bloody Mary.

I often have tomato juice or a V8 on commercial flights, too, mostly because it’s the only thing I can get with a little nutritional value.

Since I learned to fly in the mid 60's, I've worn a lanyard. In it I have my pilot's cert, my medical, my drivers license, some cash, and a credit card. This was so if something went horribly wrong they could identify the body, or at least eat/sleep/rent a car, but also I was flying floats in those days and it was not unknown for a plane to sink gracefully beneath the waves. Sometimes faster than you could collect your gear.

See, that's why I keep all of that stuff in my wallet, and I keep my wallet in my pocket! Who puts their wallet in a flight bag on the back seat anyway? Or do you carry your flight bag into the restaurant to eat breakfast???

See, that's why I keep all of that stuff in my wallet, and I keep my wallet in my pocket! Who puts their wallet in a flight bag on the back seat anyway? Or do you carry your flight bag into the restaurant to eat breakfast???

Sometimes, yes. Depends on how sketchy the neighborhood is. :D

Like I mentioned earlier, I learned to fly on floats. You never put your wallet in your pocket. Too easy to lose it when you fall into the water while hand propping a plane when standing on the floats.
Don't ask how I know this.
Also, if you end up in the water in a sinking plane, the first thing that comes off are the shoes and pants.
And, I can't stand sitting on my wallet when I fly, drive or ride my motorcycle. Drives me to distraction.
All the important stuff goes around my neck, the rest goes into a bag.
Did I also mention I have ALL my medical insurance cards, etc, and a copy of all my important medical records in my flight bag? Just the life and death stuff.

Weird pilot, weird pilot stuff.

I fly naked.

Ok not really. But I’ve heard it’s not optional for pattern work at Black Rock airport.

So... I probably won’t be going to Burning Man. Just sayin’.

I don’t like sand getting where it can cause chafing issues.

Every time I fly again for the first time following a break (usually 8/10 weeks as I have to spend time in the UK every few weeks) I always wear the old Golf shirt I wore when I did my first solo, as it was a number of years ago it's beginning to look very "second hand" and my wife as now taken to hand washing it rather than machine washing in the hope it holds out for a while longer... I'm not a superstitious person in other aspects of my life, but I can't let go of this one...

I used to put my wallet in my flight bag during flight because I normally put my wallet in my rear pocket. My butt would get sore on long flights. My dear wife, after hearing me complain one too many times, bought me one of these: https://www.rogue-industries.com/products/bison-leather-with-walletguard?variant=247270056. Life is good.

I have a really, really weird habit. I spend a significant fraction of my income to fly airplanes.

The word "fraction" implies there's room for improvement in this performance metric. :D

How about “I spend 5/4 of my income on flying?”
As long as it can be expressed by a fraction, it's a rational number. And there's the argument you need if the budget comes up...

As long as it can be expressed by a fraction, it's a rational number. And there's the argument you need if the budget comes up...
Even rational numbers can be irrational.

Back