Weight Loss Surgery

R

RaginBajin

I've been trying to investigate that if I got a weight loss surgery, what that would do to my Medical.

I've been looking into the Lap band and what they call the Duodenal Switch. I've been reading some really good things about the Duodenal switch, but it is a surgery.

So, I am wondering what I can do, or if there is someone I can call to find out what the process is if I do get the surgery how can I keep my medical. I know that during the recovery period that I can't fly but what about after that.

Anyone have any ideas?

Might be a good question for AOPA.

A bigger medical issue could be what happens if you don't get the surgery?

Dr. Tom DeMeester was a professor of mine. We took care of many, many of his patients in the ICUs from suture line dehiscences, leaks, etc. The ICU was full of his patients.

Unless the procedure has improved from when I was a senior medical student, this is one that I would be very careful about. Also, there is a risk of hepatitis (not infective, but metabolic) from this arrangement. If it happens, the surgery has to be UNDONE.

Dr. Tom DeMeester was a professor of mine. We took care of many, many of his patients in the ICUs from suture line dehiscences, leaks, etc. The ICU was full of his patients.

Unless the procedure has improved from when I was a senior medical student, this is one that I would be very careful about. Also, there is a risk of hepatitis (not infective, but metabolic) from this arrangement. If it happens, the surgery has to be UNDONE.

My understanding is the new LapBand method doesn't involve any staples or cutting of the stomach/gastric area, so no danger of leaks. It uses an external (to the stomach) inflatable ring to restrict: http://www.lapband.com

Would that be less risky than the earlier "staple your stomach" methods?

The problem with the lap band is that a significant number of patients learn how to "barrel" calories through the restriction.

Thanks guys for the information. I am just beginning to take a look at all these options, but I was just concerned if I will be able to fly again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back