Weight and Balance Problem

TripleZ

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
Ok, I'm fat. 251.5lbs to be exact with clothing.

Since I got my ticket in May, I really want to do some aerobatic training. Partially to learn how to get out of trouble, and Ive always wanted to go inverted in a plane. :D Also, looking at potential airplanes to buy, Ive been flying everything I can get my hands on to figure out what I like.

The problem is, every plane Ive looked at for the aerobatic W&B envelope, my weight is a killer. To carry a 180lb instructor + me, typically leaves me with little (less than Im comfortable with) or no GW for fuel.

Available for training in Wisconsin (that I know of)
152 Aerobat (6.5 gal of fuel)
Citabria (5 gal of fuel with a 1550 GW)

Ive seen two max GW listed for a Citabria 7ECA, 1550 for aerobatics and here: http://www.flyataildragger.com/weight-balance-calculator.php#calculate
with a 1650 GW, which would give me some room for fuel.

So the question is, do I just need to loose 50lbs so I can do aerobatics? Or am I missing a possible airplane or configuration?

So the question is, do I just need to loose 50lbs so I can do aerobatics? Or am I missing a possible airplane or configuration?

Citabria 7GCBC, either a newer one with metal spar wings and aluminum struts (grosses 1850) or an older one that's been upgraded.

Still, it can't carry much fuel. better to lose the weight. I lost 30 pounds last year and feel a whole lot better. It's easier to lose it than to keep it off, however.

Weight Watchers online. It works but you have to want to lose it.

Dan

You need to lose 50lbs or more to survive real aerobatics, it can be pretty rough. You could also find a smaller instructor. I had a gal that was 115 soaking wet. Trick is, you're kinda limited to what and who is available. The Citabria is doable restricted to a 15 minute flight, and if the box is close as it usually is, that can be enough time to climb up and get in a couple of spins and get back if that is what you are trying for. A half hour aerobatic lesson will be a lot at the beginning, and remember to take your feet off the rudders when you throw up.

Thanks guys. That's what I was looking for. I've trimmed down from where I was 2 years ago, but still need to loose more.

New goal for loosing weight. Aerobatics!

and remember to take your feet off the rudders when you throw up.

:confused: Sounds like fun...... :D

From another large guy I just look for the small light weight instructors. Much easyer than loosing weight :D

Thanks guys. That's what I was looking for. I've trimmed down from where I was 2 years ago, but still need to loose more.

I just dropped the equivalent of 5 gallons of avgas in 3.5 months - 270 down to 240. No magic, just limited myself to 1,800 calories/day, worked out nearly every day (all cardio), skipped junk food and fast food, and was smart about it. Having a big motivator helps.

Good luck!

And after that, gliders! Not too many of them with enough capacity to deal with someone of our impressive heft! :yikes: We need Tristan to start specializing in aerobatics! :yes:

I can take 250lb of student in my Super Decathlon with 1.5 hours of fuel.

Adam

Hmmm.... Where are you located?

This ^^^^

If you're near the midwest, maybe Ill make a weekend out of flying down and doing some aerobatics.

Ride or training, either way, I just want to DO it. See if I like it. (Just give me a snort of crack man...... common man.... just a taste. :rofl: )

In the Citabria Explorer (7GCBC), you also need to pay attention to the CG, not just weight. With me in the back at 214 (Includes parachute) I can't carry more than about 10 gallons or so with my granddaughter in the front seat (140 with parachute)

Ernie

If you're really "fat," lose the weight and get in shape (the two go together). You'll live longer, keep your medical longer, and feel a lot better doing aerobatics.

According to this there's an instructor with an Extra 300L in Kenosha. That should handle you no problem...

... And I think I'm going to have to head down there soon too! :goofy:

Back