Weekend Warrior

DutchessFlier

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DutchessFlier
Getting close to finishing my airwork for my IR checkride. I've got plenty of hours in the book to take the checkride, just have to do the X-C now and keep the rust off of my approaches, etc.

For the written: I am looking into one of those weekend warrior immersion programs out there. It is at a field close enough to me that I can fly there, if the WX cooperates. The course starts on a Friday morning and ends Monday morning with the writtten. They 'guarantee' passing the written. Cost isn't too bad, about $495.00 for everything including the exam.

I really would like to get this out of the way so I can concentrate on flying and the checkride.

Whay say ye?

It depends on you. Are you the type that can self-study?

If you are pretty much done with the flying requirements and still don't have the written done I would recommend this type of course. They have worked well for everyone I know that has taken one.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

I did a weekend IR ground school for my Instrument written and it was pretty good. The only problem that I will caution you with regarding any of the quick written preps is that the goal of those programs is to pass the written test. The potential pitfal is that if all you do is study the written prep stuff, it can really bite you in the tail during the oral because your knowledge foundation is somewhat limited.

If you do go that route, make sure you get some solid oral prep before the checkride. Don't just think that because you got a test score of 98 that your oral will be a breeze.

Overall, if you are self disciplined, I think it is a better deal to get a written prep like Gleim and self study, take practice tests online and get your CFII to sign you off. That will take longer than a weekend but will save you 4-500 bucks. That is what I did for my Commercial and I felt that I was better prepared for the oral than when I did the weekend course.

Those weekend course are great for pushing you "over the hump" in completing the written test. They will not, however, substitute for true learning of the source material as far as getting through instrument flight training or passing the IR practical test. If you've been studying the books (like the Instrument Flying and Procedures Handbooks and Aviation Weather/Aviation Weather Services AC's, or other commercial products like Bob Gardner's Complete Advanced Pilot or the late Bill Kershner's Instrument Training Manual), the addition of the weekend course is probably just the thing for knocking out the written test.

Those weekend course are great for pushing you "over the hump" in completing the written test. They will not, however, substitute for true learning of the source material as far as getting through instrument flight training or passing the IR practical test. If you've been studying the books (like the Instrument Flying and Procedures Handbooks and Aviation Weather/Aviation Weather Services AC's, or other commercial products like Bob Gardner's Complete Advanced Pilot or the late Bill Kershner's Instrument Training Manual), the addition of the weekend course is probably just the thing for knocking out the written test.

Thanks all and Ron!!

I started the IR program last winter, through a 141 program but had to break that off. Now I am doing it 61, have alot more leeway in how we structured the lessons, and am now near completing the flight training.

I have been working through the materials my instructor provides, the FAA Instrument Flying Handbook, and I have a copy of the Jepp Inst/Comm Textbook which I find cumbersome, but use as a reference. My CFI spends alot of time with me dissecting the FAR-AIM as well. I have homework before every flight we have done, and in the plane, sometimes in the middle of an approach, he tries to distract me asking for a random explaination of something we did on the ground!

My goal is to just get over the hump and get the written done, my time available with full time work and the training, along with life's distractions, make the ability to go off for a few days, immerse myself in the materials and get it over with, a workable alternative. I will be well prepared for my oral, my instructor will see to that!

Back