Weekend instrument ground school in Bay Area?

skynewbie

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
checkmysix
I'm looking for a weekend instrument ground school in the Bay Area.

For the test prep?

www.SheppardAir.com. Use the money not spent on the cram course for 2-3 days of Snacks, good coffee, and a corner table at Starbucks, and get busy. I was dubious of their system at first, but now like the progress I'm making. Should be ready to do exam very soon.

Otherwise, see if there is an American Flyers location near by.

Might see if Dan Dyer runs one. American Flyers is in Santa Monica, not local.

I'm skeptical of cram courses for any purpose. There is a lot more to learn here than there was for private pilot.

The "cram sessions" I looked into even have disclaimers now saying they'll give you the endorsement for the written but don't recommend doing the test on the last day of class anymore. I guess they give you the info via fire hose and some do well with that and others don't. Shep Air does have an unique way of teaching which ultimately worked but I had King Schools info as well.

Thanks folks,

I am reading the FAA instrument books right now and then should be ready to start prep for the written exam. One good CFI advised me to wait to take the written for instrument until I was half way through the actual IFR flight training.

Thanks folks,

I am reading the FAA instrument books right now and then should be ready to start prep for the written exam. One good CFI advised me to wait to take the written for instrument until I was half way through the actual IFR flight training.

That makes sense, depending how fast you are takIng flight lessons. As an example, I just finished the King course today and several topics made sense because I encountered them in my IFR training flights. Good luck!

True since applying book knowledge to instrument lessons will help before taking the written exam. Right now I want to knock out another 30 hours of XC PIC time and finish reading the two FAA books before paying for expensive CFII lessons.

Back