Weekend IFR

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Hi All,

I flew from Hays, Kansas to La Junta, Colorado this past weekend and thought I would share my experience.

KHYS to KLJX - Started out Saturday morning and was clear and smooth the whole trip. 2 hours.

Visited all day Sturday and got ready to return home Saturday night. Clouds had moved in so I filed IFR. I had thunderstorms forming with tops of FL230. 60 mph winds and 1" hail in thunderstorm. Decided I would delay flight 2 hours in hope the thunderstorms would die out. Was planning on leaving at 6 p.m. because I wanted to be back to Hays before dark. I could delay 2 hours and still make daylight with almost an hour to spare.

8 p.m. called and got second briefing. Also checked weather on computer. I had about a 30 mile window that if I left immediately I could probably squeeze through and get back to Hays.

I walked around the aircraft and performed my pre-flight check. As I was doing the pre-flight I consider my options.

1. I would be flying between thunderstorms that were still actually building.
2. I had a nice GPS but no storm scope or weather radar on board.
3. I have not flown heavy IFR in over 2 years.
4. On my flight plan sheet I have a map with closet VFR. I had storms south of me, north of me, and behind me.
5. What if another thunderstorm built up in my line of flight?

I was sure I could make it but my wife and daughter were with me and I knew if things got rough they would never fly with me again.

I locked the plane up and spent the night in La Junta. I checked weather Sunday morning and had a nice smooth VFR flight back to Hays.

I just received my Aviation Safety magazine today and was glad I would NOT be in it. :D

The more I think about it the more I realized I should have made the decision sooner. Weekend IFR is dangerous. If you don't fly IFR regularly then don't think you just jump in the airplane on the weekend and fly through thunderstorms or rough weather or shoot an approach.

I was current but I was nowhere near proficient.

I will get my CFII out soon and brush up on my IFR skills.

Thanks for listening;

Terry, the weekender IFR'r :smilewinkgrin:

p.s.> One more item. As a courtesy I called the briefer back and cancelled my IFR. He said, "That was a smart decision in his opinion."

Hi All,

Forgot to mention that I was flying a C172/G rental. The rental company was glad I waited until Sunday also.

Flight back took 1 1/2 hours.

Terry

Great story, Terry. Thanks for sharing! I think you made the right decision too!

Sure was nice flying Sunday morning over the Colorado plains wasn't it? Thanks for outlining your decision making process.

That was good reading, thanks. You probably flew right over us here at Scott city. When Dad used to fly we went to Hays often for a drink or to visit Mom's side, she grew up in Antonino.

They still sell beef jerky in Libenthal?
Have you been to the RANS Corp in Hays?

Ok, enough questions, sorry.:redface:

1. I would be flying between thunderstorms that were still actually building.
2. I had a nice GPS but no storm scope or weather radar on board.
3. I have not flown heavy IFR in over 2 years.
4. On my flight plan sheet I have a map with closet VFR. I had storms south of me, north of me, and behind me.
5. What if another thunderstorm built up in my line of flight?
Good decision Terry. I wouldn't want to fly a small airplane without radar or stormscope in "heavy IFR" with thunderstorms around even though I am current. In this part of the country the best way to avoid them is visually since you can usually see the CBs and the rain shafts from a long way off. If you can't it isn't a good idea to mess with them at all.

Great decision Terry and thanks for sharing! I hope to knock out my instrument checkride as soon as I am back on my feet. I will take something from your experience and add it to my safety tool box for future use. My lovely Bride and I have so far maintained the feeling that every flight is an adventure, when it comes to wx, lets extend the adventure to surrounding ground locations of interest, there is always tomorrow.

Last edited:
That was good reading, thanks. You probably flew right over us here at Scott city. When Dad used to fly we went to Hays often for a drink or to visit Mom's side, she grew up in Antonino.

They still sell beef jerky in Libenthal? Yes
Have you been to the RANS Corp in Hays? Yes, but I stay away because I would probably buy one of their airplanes.

I actually live in La Crosse, and fly out of Hays.

Ok, enough questions, sorry.:redface:

One other thing I failed to mention. Once you make your "no go" decision, relax and let the decision go. Don't re-run the decision making process over and over, keep checking the weather, and trying to see if you made a good or bad decision. I wanted to fly back that night, I waited 2 more hours and the conditions did not improve. I went back to my daughter's house, put the clipboard away, and enjoyed a nice evening.

I have a rule that I use in my life. When you have a situation or problem in your life, figure out how much time that particular problem should be allotted. Allow that time, and then move on to something else. Even if the sky cleared off 30 minutes later I would not gone through the "go" - "no go" process again. I devoted my allotted time, made my decision, and that led to an enjoyable evening.

Terry :smile:

And, if you bring back a rental plane all dinged up from hail, you have just bought a funny looking airplane... Good decision making...

denny-o

Back