Weekend Getaways in Maine?

sballmer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Stefan
I want to fly myself to Maine this weekend and spend a day or two at a nice place along the shore somewhere between Brunswick and Eastport, but I don't know where exactly yet.

Does anyone have some good tips for that area?

Thanks!

93B - Stonington is nice, friendly folks, light house tours and great food choices.

Airport is small, no fuel and no transportaion to town. Can do very easily with a bike. If you stay at the Boyce motel the owner will come get you and take you back. You can walk to everything in town including the docks for the light house tour.

It's a quiet place, the Bride and I really enjoyed the quiet time.

http://gmflightlog.blogspot.com/2009/09/stonington-maine.html

The wife and I had a wonderful weekend in Boothbay Harbor. Tied down at IWI so we wouldn't get fogged in when we had to leave in the am. Rented a car and drove to town, about 20 mins. Stayed at the Rock Tide Inn, right on the water. Excellent restaurant, great room. Spring for an upgrade, the couple bucks is worth it.
Drove up and down the coast a bit on the back roads.
Glorious.

Another possibility is to fly into Brunswick now that it is open to the public, rent a car and drive to Freeport, ME. Great town, lots of shopping and home of LL Bean.

If you really want scenic, fly into BGR and drive about 45 minutes south to Castine - lots of B&Bs there and lots of history (remains of some British forts dating back to pre-Revolutionary War)

Last edited:
I knew I should have posted here...I searched in "Cool places to fly", and posted a PIREP request for Bar Harbor but didn't get any response.

Anyways, I just returned a few hours ago from a trip from Long Island to Bar Harbor, by way of 1B1 then PSM. Bar Harbor was beautiful...enjoyed a nice drive around the area, great food, and was very scenic. Easy to fly into as well.

Last night was another story, with the weather in that area not being so pleasant. First time I'd landed in 30kt wind (down the runway, at least).

Coastal trip, IWI and a car to Boothbay is great!
Fly into Rockland and taxi up to the Owls Head Transportation Museum, call ahead to the FBO and the museum will open the gate on the taxiway for you. Rent a car and tour Rte 1 toward Camden and Lincolville Beach, the ferry to Isleboro is there and a nice lobster returant on the beach. A lot of BBs along the way. Camden Harbor is fun to explore, as is Boothbay Harbor, you can take a boat tour, really great on Wind Jammer days when the old sailing ships crowd the harbor.

AUG makes a great backup airport if the coastal airports get fogged in. A short drive down State Rte 27 from AUG to Boothbay. (I grew up just off Rte 27)

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips! I can already see that I need to schedule a 2nd weekend in Maine...

**** Glad you enjoyed my localities; you could have used my hangar at KIWI, my plane being away at Twitchell's Airport. And for those who don't know about Rocktide Inn, see a couple of my images.

HR

Attachments

• Rocktide Inn_1.jpg
    Rocktide Inn_1.jpg
    974.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Rocktide Inn_2.jpg
    Rocktide Inn_2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
**** and speaking of the coastal area:

KRKD new terminal, on a foggy day; and a couple of my Camden images.

Y'all must come again.

HR

Attachments

• KRKD(pan).jpg
    KRKD(pan).jpg
    495.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Camden_1.jpg
    Camden_1.jpg
    824.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Camden_5458(2).jpg
    Camden_5458(2).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Hmmm, Camden sure brings back memories of my MMA days.....the ones that weren't recorded on the damaged brain cells:D Except those photos of Camden harbor sure look alot warmer than when I was there!

I second both Bar Harbor and Rockland.

Bar Harbor is next to Acadia National Park - the ride a along Otter Creek Rd is spectacular. Near one of the harbors you can sit on a cliff and watch the seagulls and lobster boats. Very peaceful.

Rockland has the Owl's Head Museum right on the airport. Lot's of neat old machines (motorcycles, cars, planes). Watch out for NORDO WWI aircraft flying displays.

**** Glad you enjoyed my localities; you could have used my hangar at KIWI, my plane being away at Twitchell's Airport. And for those who don't know about Rocktide Inn, see a couple of my images.

HR

I always stayed across the harbor from the Rock Tide, I forget the name. And it's not Brown's.

Mary and I are looking into Boothbay harbor.....all the pictures and good reviews peaked her interest.

May have to make this in early august. Friday after work departure, rental car at IWI, waterfront at the Rocktide, fly home late afternoon sunday. Sounds like a plan! :)

Back